#1 MikeyB

MikeyB

• Closet Nocturnus Fan

Member: 4147

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Watchmen's Log:  Daily entry by Ra'an, Phoenix Guardsmen

Despite the reports of the attacks by Victor Revolword's minions throughout Historica, we have seen peace here in Circardia.

We have seen the first of the reinforcement sent by Artorious Rex cross the River Isca to help protect the lands.

Posted Image

I'm sure Darno at the Stag's Head Inn will be happy with the additional business

The local farmers have been busy bring in their goods to stock the warehouses in case war comes to Circardia.

Young Cian brings hogs into town to the butcher

Posted Image

And Sanil and his oldest son, Crayvon bring a load of apples.

Posted Image

Inside the walls, Elina washes clothes while watching her baby as Karassis stops to speak with her.

Posted Image

The men of the Phoenix Guard are prepared for what may come and take advantage of glass of mead from old man Durham.

Posted Image

Roltic and Greffen, a friend of Orthus, prepare to head out to on a hunt hopefully to add some fine Circardia deer to the stores.

Posted Image

No other events of note took place.

More photos:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

couple notes:

I am not entirely happy with the base to the gatehouse but sadly I didn't have enough bricks of the same color to get the height I wanted.

Also this thing was tough to photograph with the back drop.  I had designed it to break down into three section so I did some of the photos that way so you could see the details.

For more photos, click here

As always comments and critics welcomed

Edited by MikeyB, 21 June 2012 - 03:12 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Lord Arlindus, Captain of Circardia and the Phoenix Guard, Avalonia Guildsman

#2 Niku

Niku

• Wants two initials

Member: 14912

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

Surely a construction to take notice of it, worthy defence building against any minions, is good to see Avalonia is prepared for whatever may come.

I like the details on the bridge, is very large but very well done, the tower with the form of a triangle is a nice touch, but what I love most is the atmosphere of motion and common life in this Moc.
Great job.  :classic: :thumbup:

Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 Rogue Angel

Rogue Angel

• No Longer Suffering From Male Pattern Baldness

Member: 4711

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

I like the tower design, and the tile work on the bridge.  Lots going on here, and the story is great!  I LOVE the swaddling clothes for the babe though, that is brilliant! :wub:

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image

#4 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Member: 24623

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

That washing clothes idea there is just absolutely brilliant! I love the entire MOC but that particular detail is by far my favorite!  :thumbup:
My Flickr

All hail Avalonia!
Lord of Woodward, Champion of Avalonia, Lord High Executioner, Prince of the Forest, Siege Expert
Woodward on Wikipedia

#5 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

It´s just great Mikey! I really like the long bridge, giving it a very impressive look! The colourscheme on it with the tan is very eye pleasing.

And all the everyday life going on is so well done! Washing clothes and watching baby, love it!

You know that I´m planning a bridge?!   :tongue: :wink:  Although not to a gate but still a bridge!  :classic:

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#6 Legonardo

Legonardo

• Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back

Member: 22773

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

Very nice! lots of great details!
~Legoanrdo~

Posted Image Posted Image

Legonardo

Posted Image

Flickr

#7 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Member: 18031

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Very nice! It has that late 80's early 90's kinda feel to it. :thumbup: You nailed that washboard. Look's like Avalonia is going to stay on top! A few Avalonian's in a rowboat would've been cool but not necessary.
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#8 Styrbjorn

Styrbjorn

Member: 29264

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

Really cool building :thumbup:
Posted Image

#9 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

The angled section of the tower is great  :thumbup: as does the drawbridge.
The landscaping is excellent too  :classic:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentleman, Farmer, and Protector in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#10 natesroom

natesroom

Member: 26928

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

yeah the angled section is very similar to the helms deep curved area.

#11 MikeyB

MikeyB

• Closet Nocturnus Fan

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I don't know if other peoples minds work this way but I think of small scenes all the time (the washer woman, hearding the pigs and Phoenix Guardmen on a break) and then think of builds that I can incorporate them into.

I nearly didn't have enough tiles for the bridge and was thinking "I should have picked up more 2x2 dark tan tiles on my last trip to the PaB wall"  I am making a trip back to Florida at the end of July so hopefully they will have some left a month from now!

@Capt, BB
I like the way the wash board came out too.  so simple but effective when put into the scene.  As to the row boat, the might River Isca is pretty vicious.  I was hoping to convey a river with a strong current.  Guess I need to work on that!  

@natesroom  
I actually modeled it on Z walls of his gatehouse (or the best I could figure out from his photos)  i also recreated his cross windows (which I was pretty proud of how they came out)I had the tower build for a couple weeks. I was going to build a scene with the Phoenix Guard marching to the border of Nocturnus against the Drow but when Rex recalled the armies, I had to think of something else.  Then I got some LotR stuff for Fathers Day, Including Helm's Deep and your right, the build methods are similar.

#12 Hyler Talliwell

Hyler Talliwell

• Master Sculpturer

Member: 25152

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

THis looks great and really defensible. It is cool to see the fortifications mixed with daily life. It makes me want to build something of the sort.

#13 ZCerberus

ZCerberus

• Little Boney

Member: 1043

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostMikeyB, on 21 June 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

@natesroom
I actually modeled it on Z walls of his gatehouse (or the best I could figure out from his photos)  i also recreated his cross windows (which I was pretty proud of how they came out)I had the tower build for a couple weeks. I was going to build a scene with the Phoenix Guard marching to the border of Nocturnus against the Drow but when Rex recalled the armies, I had to think of something else.  Then I got some LotR stuff for Fathers Day, Including Helm's Deep and your right, the build methods are similar.

I was about to say-- I recognized some of that stuff!  Though I think we used a lot of the same techniques, this still has a different feel from the Great Gatehouse.  

On those crossbow/arrow slit/cross windows, on later versions I went with 1 x 2 and 1 x 1 cheese slopes.  Not only does it remove the little line between the tile and the plate, but it also gives a little more textural intrigue.

I love the length of the bridge.  This is more like what I would have liked to do with the Albion bridge had it not been for the BrickWorld size restriction.    

I also like that it is not perfectly symmetrical.  

Dude- I have SOOOOOOO many dark tan 2 x 2 tiles.  PaB has been packed with them.  If you want some faster, PM me and we might be able to work something out!

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!

Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#14 Kayne

Kayne

Member: 23719

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

Great build Mikey!  Like someone else said, the daily activities of medieval life adds a lot to the build as well.

@ZC:  You may have started a new trend with all of the gatehouses popping up!

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Ahken-Kaliphlin
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpagesMy Flickrhttp://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)

#15 ZCerberus

ZCerberus

• Little Boney

Member: 1043

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostKayne, on 21 June 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

@ZC:  You may have started a new trend with all of the gatehouses popping up!

gatehouses are cool man!

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!

Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#16 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Member: 18031

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

@MikeyB Minifigs are made for comedy. You can put them in a rushing river with scared expressions on their face's.

Edited by Captain BeerBeard, 22 June 2012 - 01:57 AM.

Nocturnus Scoundrel

#17 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

A really nice build MikeyB. I like the sense of movement in the water, the nicely styled towers (would look nicer if they were just a bit taller) and the rock work. The posing of the figures helps bring the action to life as well. :thumbup:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

#18 MikeyB

MikeyB

• Closet Nocturnus Fan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

@Z thanks for the kind comments.   i basically took you six wide standard on your hex towers and added my own little detail.  Ill have to post some photos of how I did my firing slits cause I think I did them totally differently! And I might hit you up for some Dark Tan tiles.  I have a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now and I do like them!

@ Capt BB
That would have been great!  I can just see a couple kids in a boat that got out of control.

ISC.  thanks for the feed back.  I would love to have build a bit higher but was thinking the wide, swift moving river would add a natural defense to the gatehouse and the Hamlet.  of course most were thinking about human attackers and not being attacked by elementals!

#19 Jason Cicchini

Jason Cicchini

• Big Horn Historican

Member: 9064

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

Wo00oW!  *huh*
Fantastic, except now I immediately want to see what the rest of your hamlet looks like!
Great job, Mikey, as usual!

Lord Khelperth Darwyn of Avalonia
Master Cartographer, High King of the Elves

#20 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

Great build Mikey! Love it :sweet: The overall design is well done en filled with details! The old gray works really well in the picture :thumbup: When I mix old and new, I can't make myself to like it because it just doesn't look right but it works here! Also your washboard turned out great indeed! I'm going to borrow that idea some day :wink:

And do I see Disan's snow owl spying in Circardia :tongue:

Edited by Ecclesiastes, 22 June 2012 - 11:09 PM.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#21 MikeyB

MikeyB

• Closet Nocturnus Fan

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:59 AM

you know its funny because, I know I have a huge mix of old and new grey but where I build its hard to tell the difference with the light I have in that room.  when I was photographing and editing the photos I noticed and convinced myself it didn't look bad.

As to the owl, they have their uses!  They can see a lot further than a human eye and can alert the guards to approaching travelers!  

@jason, I have a few other builds I have planned (wish I could present them all at one time) I just started a build for a small fishing village that is in the Southern part of Circardia, along the coast of the Bay of Orthus (I need to work on a map of Circardia!)

#22 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn

• Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

This is an excellent addition to Avalonia Mikey, another impressive gatehouse. It suits our guild well and I enjoyed looking through all the pictures and noticing so many great details. The baby in the turban piece is genius!

Excellent work
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#23 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostMikeyB, on 23 June 2012 - 03:59 AM, said:

(I need to work on a map of Circardia!)

And I need to work on a map for Benoic for sure! But it´s so tricky!  :angry: But that is a good way to fill the time while I´m waiting on one BL order and three copies of Uruk Hai army! :sweet:

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#24 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Member: 26273

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Another great build for Historica! Its great to have all the characters bustling around making the MOC come alive!Posted Image

Come explore the lands of the Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 MikeyB

MikeyB

• Closet Nocturnus Fan

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostCadarnosaurus Rex, on 26 June 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

This is an excellent addition to Avalonia Mikey, another impressive gatehouse. It suits our guild well and I enjoyed looking through all the pictures and noticing so many great details. The baby in the turban piece is genius!

Excellent work

Thanks!  But I cant take credit for the baby idea, I know i have seen it somewhere before I just cant remember where or by who!

Mikey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users