mccoyed

The Dark Tower in Lego

Hello! In this thread you'll find a consistently updated series of builds inspired by Stephen King's seven-book masterwork The Dark Tower. I will do five builds per book for a total of 35 builds. Please check this post regularly as I'll update it with each build!

Book 1: The Gunslinger

Build 1: Roland

14880105816_ab6693e7b9_z.jpg

Roland Deschain, the world's last gunslinger, hunts his quarry across a vast desert.

Build 2: The Test

14744070309_5bbc440c35_z.jpg

Roland thinks back to his boyhood, when he challenged his teacher, Cort, to the test of manhood. He was the youngest ever heard of and won using a truly unconventional weapon.

Build 3: The Way Station

14788249107_131cbd38f8_z.jpg

Sick with dehydration and heatstroke, Roland encounters a strange boy in a strange Way Station.

Build 4: The Boy

15121373631_bc83688807_z.jpg

The Man in Black is near, finally within reach, but to catch him means making a terrible sacrifice.

Build 5: The Palaver

15128651046_4953a4ceae_z.jpg

Roland awoke by the ruins of the campfire to find himself ten years older... and the man in black was a laughing skeleton in a rotting black robe...

Book 2: The Drawing of the Three

Build 1: The Door

15051692227_cacc41e1c8_z.jpg

His right hand maimed by a monstrous "lobstrosity", Roland is beset by fever when he spots a door to nowhere rising up from the beach.

Build note: Please see the Flickr for a bonus version of this with a lobstrosity. I felt it I couldn't get it quite right for this, so left it out of the final version.

Build 2: The Prisoner

15304673260_e9d31e51a1_z.jpg

Through the door on the beach, Roland reaches into a different world.

Build 3: The Drawing of Eddie Dean

15410616427_ff51abf5de_z.jpg

At Balazar's, where Eddie was meant for a terrible fate, one door closes while another opens.

Build 4: The Pusher

15690376866_95592c17f8_z.jpg

Roland catches a glimpse of The Pusher's past, which incidentally shares a few critical moments with that of Odetta Holmes that was.

Build 5: The Lady of Shadows

15837574759_bba56ce93e_z.jpg

Two women in one body unite to form a third, the gunslinger Susannah Dean.

Book 3: The Wastelands

Build 1: Shardik

16372899236_1d9e07c1b7_z.jpg

While traveling the path of the Beam, Roland's ka-tet encounter one of the last Guardians of the Beams... the mad and decaying cyborg bear, Shardik!

Builder's Note: This was a tough one, and I took a lot of

pics.

Edited by mccoyed

Hile, mccoyed! Long days and pleasant nights to you.

Never thought I see Roland Deschain in LEGO form, great work. Makes me want to read the series all over again.

Will you be making his Ka-tet as well?

14744070309_5bbc440c35_z.jpg

No one had ever taken the test as young as Roland. Cort asked him to reconsider, but Roland was resolute. At this, Cort was not surprised. The choice of weapon, however, did surprise him. Roland Deschain was not known for his imagination.

Thanks everybody!

Hile, mccoyed! Long days and pleasant nights to you.

Never thought I see Roland Deschain in LEGO form, great work. Makes me want to read the series all over again.

Will you be making his Ka-tet as well?

And may you have twice the number.

Actually, since you mention it... I'm doing vignettes, probably 5 each, for each book as a small side project right now. Here's the next one.

Cute little vignette dude :) Now delete those pistols and get back to GoH xD

This was moved to Historic and it shouldn't be here. Who can I PM about that?

Cute little vignette dude :) Now delete those pistols and get back to GoH xD

Haha. Thanks Gun but you should expect many more Dark Tower builds to come. Most of 'em will be small.

Well done! Looks to be the first of many vignettes based on my favourite gunslinger!

Yup. Thanks, bud!

14788249107_131cbd38f8_z.jpg

Note to moderators: Please note that these Dark Tower builds are part of a science fiction/fantasy adaptation series I'm doing based on novels by Stephen King. In spite of their "Wild West" iconography, they are not "Historic" themed builds. Please do not move this to the Historic forum and, if you see this, please consider moving my first thread in the series back to Scifi where it belongs. Thank you.

Is that necessary? It's not a bad idea, but I'm already 3 in and I've seen other "series" in separate threads on the Scifi forum. Like Missing Brick's Aliens builds.

It's not necessary, but since it's the same story (if I understand correctly), it makes sense to put all the build in one thread

Thanks for merging the threads, Bob.

BUILD 4 will be complete by the end of next week!

I started a series of Gunslinger vignettes a while ago but so far have only completed one :laugh: , if I find the time to continue I suspect we'll have some crossovers. You've got some nice little vigs here but for me The Way Station really stands out - great use of the wood patterned tiles on the roof. Imho some of the pictures in your flickr are better than the ones you've posted here.

Looking forward to the next one.

Slightly off topic: I haven't read the final book due to fear of disappointment - should I read it?

I started a series of Gunslinger vignettes a while ago but so far have only completed one :laugh: , if I find the time to continue I suspect we'll have some crossovers. You've got some nice little vigs here but for me The Way Station really stands out - great use of the wood patterned tiles on the roof. Imho some of the pictures in your flickr are better than the ones you've posted here.

Looking forward to the next one.

Slightly off topic: I haven't read the final book due to fear of disappointment - should I read it?

Please link them to me on Flickr! I'd love to see other Lego DT builds.

Also, I'm not a good judge of my own photography at all so if you wanna drop a comment on Flickr and point out what pics you think are better I'd appreciate that too!

Lastly... absolutely read the book.

On a general note... I definitely failed to complete the next build by the end of the weekend (Sunday) but I will get it done by the end of this week. Hopefully. Haha. I got my Storm minifig so I'm ready for The Drawing of the Three!

Edited by mccoyed

Please link them to me on Flickr! I'd love to see other Lego DT builds.

Also, I'm not a good judge of my own photography at all so if you wanna drop a comment on Flickr and point out what pics you think are better I'd appreciate that too!

Lastly... absolutely read the book.

On a general note... I definitely failed to complete the next build by the end of the weekend (Sunday) but I will get it done by the end of this week. Hopefully. Haha. I got my Storm minifig so I'm ready for The Drawing of the Three!

And definitely supplement it with the stories Everything's Eventual and Low Men in Yellow Coats.

Mccoyed, does your last book 1 build involve the Minifigures Fortune Teller's tarot cards? :wink:

Also, I hope you have lots of pink for the end of book 3...

I love it! You put SNOT on a horse. Brilliant!

I love the level of detail in the MOCs and this was a favorite Stephen King story of mine. Keep up the great work.

And definitely supplement it with the stories Everything's Eventual and Low Men in Yellow Coats.

Mccoyed, does your last book 1 build involve the Minifigures Fortune Teller's tarot cards? :wink:

Also, I hope you have lots of pink for the end of book 3...

I may get around to the supplementary stuff after I finish the builds for the 7 books. That is a daunting enough task for now haha. And yeah, you're on the money for Build 5, the next and last one for The Gunslinger.

Lastly, my daughter has lots of Friends Lego...

I love it! You put SNOT on a horse. Brilliant!

I love the level of detail in the MOCs and this was a favorite Stephen King story of mine. Keep up the great work.

I appreciate the compliment but I didn't do SNOT on the horse. I just used a Brick Forge backpack held in place with a 1x2 smooth plate!

Thanks all the same. I will definitely see this through!