mccoyed

Persistent MOCiverse for Sci-Fi?

Been wondering if there is or ever was a persistent roleplayed universe for Sci-Fi the way there is for Castle (Guilds of Historica for example).

I know there's a sort of RPG-verse for Star Wars but I'd love to see one along the same lines as Historica. Thoughts?

I don't think so... Maybe if the MODs let us we could probably do one for the Sci-Fi Forums, we would need help from the Mods because it would need a Sci-Fi Sub- Forum.

Strange that there's so much resistance to the idea. I think something like GoH in spirit, but at a smaller beginning scale would attract people to build MOCs. The same thing happened with GoH in facvt.

The problem is not attract people who would build MOCs, the main problem is managing something like GoH... Asks the ones in charge of the guilds at the beginnings...

I'm thinking of something more like SoNE, but I need to see exactly how to make it "straight"... Sci-Fi is by essence infinite, and I don't want to spend all day managing an infinite role play.

There are difficulties, and I need time to see how to reduce them to space dust. :wink:

It seems like a surmountable problem. Here's how I would do it:

1. Get everybody interested together in one place (probably a temp. sticky thread to gauge interest)

2. Have a general discussion about the scope and themes (for Historica, it's these four regional guilds and their interconnecting stories and characters).

3. Start small with factions. Maybe 2-3 at first depending on how many people they are. Create attendant threads.

4. Faction discussions to create themes, aesthetics, and elements that differentiate them. For example, in GoH, Mitgardia is a "norse" type and Nocturnus is a "dark" type of fantasy, with room for many variations of trope and ideas. This should be emulated.

5. Have faction-leaders plan and construct a short series of MOCs to introduce the new setting to EB and the scifi forum as a way to attract more interest and get the ball rolling for builds and storylines.

The problem is not attract people who would build MOCs, the main problem is managing something like GoH... Asks the ones in charge of the guilds at the beginnings...

I'm thinking of something more like SoNE, but I need to see exactly how to make it "straight"... Sci-Fi is by essence infinite, and I don't want to spend all day managing an infinite role play.

There are difficulties, and I need time to see how to reduce them to space dust. :wink:

Hey Bob, if you want help I'll be more than happy to help my lord. (Imperial March Plays)

Maybe it would be good to tap into the old Sci-Fi themes here. You know, Blacktron, M:Tron, Spyrius, Space Police, Unitron, Classic Space/Futuron, Exploriens ... There are pretty clear, well-accepted adversaries and potential allies, although there's no real plot as such yet. The obvious problem would be getting hold of the minifig parts, some of which cost an arm and a leg apiece for a minifig arm or leg, if you catch my meaning.

Maybe it would be good to tap into the old Sci-Fi themes here. You know, Blacktron, M:Tron, Spyrius, Space Police, Unitron, Classic Space/Futuron, Exploriens ... There are pretty clear, well-accepted adversaries and potential allies, although there's no real plot as such yet. The obvious problem would be getting hold of the minifig parts, some of which cost an arm and a leg apiece for a minifig arm or leg, if you catch my meaning.

Yeah I get it. I was thinking more like creating something new with like three factions and then the Bad-guys, which would be like the Drow in GoH, They aren't like a faction just the bad-guys you put in your models.

just copy something that already exist and make it for us

d&d used to have a sci fi role play, Star Frontiers

starcraft 4 groups - fairly adaptable

I would reject two of the ideas suggested so far: using existing Lego space themes for lore and ripping off something else, like Star Craft 2. Both of these ideas miss the point.

Guilds of Historica utilizes existing Lego and themes and adapts them to its own fictional universe for MOCs and storytelling. That is what I think would be the best for Scifi or any other broad genre, especially for those of us who like science fiction motifs but don't necessarily want to play in the Star Wars sandbox.

Edited by mccoyed

I see what mccoyed is getting at with GoH. If we broadened the factions to a more style based breakdown, it might be more acceptable. For example, perhaps a steampunk themed faction, a bio-mechanical style faction, and something that uses a more conventional style of spacecraft (perhaps mech heavy)?

Within each faction there is scope for variety and storylines within each faction and also linking the three across a broader universe.

Edited by vampyre78

I see what mccoyed is getting at with GoH. If we broadened the factions to a more style based breakdown, it might be more acceptable. For example, perhaps a steampunk themed faction, a bio-mechanical style faction, and something that uses a more conventional style of spacecraft (perhaps mech heavy)?

Within each faction there is scope for variety and storylines within each faction and also linking the three across a broader universe.

I really could see that working. Because we choose are factions in Goh by the builds, and by what we want to build. If we reached three different themes we could reach everywhere in the Sci-Fi Forums.

Mixing different themes would be hard to maintain and balance... Using existing factions like M-tron or Blacktron isn't good either as not all of us have the requested colors or parts (who have M-tron magnets??).

My opinion, and that's what I'm currently trying to set up, is to use a small number of "new" factions, with both their colors and maybe aesthetics.

Mixing different themes would be hard to maintain and balance... Using existing factions like M-tron or Blacktron isn't good either as not all of us have the requested colors or parts (who have M-tron magnets??).

My opinion, and that's what I'm currently trying to set up, is to use a small number of "new" factions, with both their colors and maybe aesthetics.

Hey Bob, if you want help I'll be more than happy to help my lord. (Imperial March Plays)

@Bob de Quatre: The way GoH handles that is to adopt very loose restrictions on what pieces can be used where. Unlike the LoR, there's no Lego theme (like Blacktron) that can only be used in this or that faction. GoH members are encouraged to be very creative in terms of how pieces and minifigs are used. There are tons of posts about it in GoH. If they can make that work, so can we. I'm not sure what you mean about maintaining or balancing it. GoH uses theme to help people with certain types of stuff in their collections (like tan bricks for Kaliphlin) build with what they have. Likewise, a Scifi counterpart of GoH would have loose thematic guidelines for builders. For example, if you have a lot of alien figs, you might be more at home in a cosmopolitan or alien-central faction than a human one.

EDIT: Sorry Bob de Quatre! I reread your post and now realize we're saying approximately the same thing! Right on! Here's an example for how I think we could do factions and colors and themes. Bear in mind this is just a rough sketch off the top of my head. I'm sure with we could come up with more and better with some discussion.

Here are some examples of possible factions w/ colors and a sketch of themes and references to pop culture stuff to communicate the individual styles and ideas. This is just a rough idea, by no means what we should go with until after those interested have discussed it.

Faction 1: Galactic Union

A sort of United Nations in space with many alien races alongside humans trying to promote stability in the galaxy. They are primarily a trade union, with merchants, diplomats, and security forces serving the common good.

Colors: White and Silver

Faction 2: Alien Empire

An expansionist confederation of alien species that believe in "might is right" and are imperialists always pushing for more territory and membership among the other intelligent species. No humans allowed!

Colors: Dark Bley and Black or Blue

Faction 3: The Unaffiliated

In the fringes of space, there are many humans and aliens who don't want to join up with the Union or the Empire and try to hack it out on their own terms. Unfortunately, pressure from the other factions means they sometimes have to form militias or send envoys and form temporary alliances with each other and outsiders.

Colors: Yellow and Dark Blue

Edited by mccoyed

When setting up new factions, maybe having three or four planets each with its own unique ecosystem would work. The planets would have designated faction colors and be close enough for interaction (either in space, or on the surface) with each other. This could be for trade, skirmishes, scientific exploration or even raiding parties.

This gives builders the chance to build both space craft and homes for there characters, as well as space ports, cities, recreation spots, etc......

Thanks for the inputs all of you. If I need feedback on factions or mechanism, i'll be sure to ask the community. :wink:

When setting up new factions, maybe having three or four planets each with its own unique ecosystem would work. The planets would have designated faction colors and be close enough for interaction (either in space, or on the surface) with each other. This could be for trade, skirmishes, scientific exploration or even raiding parties.

This gives builders the chance to build both space craft and homes for there characters, as well as space ports, cities, recreation spots, etc......

For now, in what I've planned, I have 37 "planets" :sweet:

Edit: In fact it's 52 "planets"

Wait, so you're going to create all the lore yourself? I don't know if I like that idea. It seems like it should come from more than just one person. I don't believe all the background lore and content of GoH was created by just one person.

It should be a collaborative process.

Edited by mccoyed

Wait, so you're going to create all the lore yourself? I don't know if I like that idea. It seems like it should come from more than just one person. I don't believe all the background lore and content of GoH was created by just one person.

It should be a collaborative process.

Don't worry I won't do it all by myself :wink:

But keep in mind that it would be something more like SoNE than GoH.

Don't worry I won't do it all by myself :wink:

But keep in mind that it would be something more like SoNE than GoH.

Ok cool, can't wait!

I don't have any experience with SoNE. What is the difference?

I personally don't see the problem with using existing themes. Pick a planet (or group of planets) for each "empire" - Galactic Federation (Classic Space, Futuron, Space Police - anyone with the little planet logo), Blacktron Empire, M-Tron Corporation, etc.

I would be more interested in this, to be quite honest.

People would wind up using the existing themes and then applying them to whatever factions are created. It seems there's not a lot of familiarity with how GoH does things on this part of EB. I am not really interested in anything short of the GoH methods being applied to science fiction/space opera Lego MOCs. Which is why I started this thread.

I'm not opposed to people making up new factions and what not - just that the "backbone" of such an endeavour should be pre-existing themes. That may be just my opinion, but I don't see any reason why a sci-fi one needs to mirror exactly how the GoH is done.