Brickthing

MOC: Portal Sets

Thanks to the awesome staff at Cuusoo who gave Portal a second look, this project is now on Cuusoo and 100% suportalable! If you'd like to see Portal LEGO sets become a reality, support it now at the Cuusoo project page!

7399728004_d3d216d73b_c.jpg

Over the past few months, Team Jigsaw (A MOCathalon team consisting of Lego Junkie, 55555, Arkov and myself) had been working on a LEGO Portal project for Cuusoo. Sadly Cuusoo considers Portal an innappropriate license for unspecified reasons, and although we tried numerous forms of contact we were unable to appeal this decision.

We didn't know this until we tried to submit the project, so we're left with a polished piece of work even though it's not possible to get supporters for it. So here are the results of our work, which we still want to share for the LEGO community to enjoy! Lego Junkie designed and built the Glados set, while I designed the modular test chamber, minifigs and produced the 3D rendered final images. 55555 was responsible for designing the Portal Puzzle game, which we've added in celebration of the project launch!

7399720744_6ea5e48273_o.jpg

GLaDOS' Chamber

Chell is trapped in the Aperture Science complex!

Lead through test after test by GLaDOS, Chell has finally found the psychotic robot's lair!

Will she succeed in destroying her nemesis? The final battle and the fate of Aperture lies in your hands!

Includes three minifigures, Chell, Wheatley, and the famous potato.

Features battle platform, portal gun, and GLaDOS

GLaDOS can swing a full 360 degrees and is able to rotate her head in all directions

Perform a core transfer with Wheatley and GLaDOS!

Battle platform is over 5" (15cm) long

GLaDOS is over 9" (22cm) wide, and over 12" (30cm) high

Parts count: 499+

7399721116_ceb199a4ef_c.jpg

"I hope you brought something stronger than a portal gun this time. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're about to become the immediate past president of the Being Alive Club, haha."

7399728294_20be152bef_c.jpg

Modular Testing Chamber

Make your very own Test Chamber out of LEGO, in any way that you want! First build the modular frame to the dimensions you choose, and then fill the walls and floor with tiles, platforms, buttons and more! Finally, add accessories such as turrets, cubes, small buttons, signs, cameras and most importantly, test subjects!

Includes four minifigures, Chell and 3 Aperture Science Sentry Turrets.

Completely modular design allows you to redesign the chamber for different tests.

Solve button puzzles with the Weighted Storage Cube, or dodge the laser sights of an array of turrets!

Use the 4 different pattern tiles to create any 2 digit number for the level sign.

Discover a hidden Ratman den behind the testing chamber walls.

Standard Testing Chamber arrangement is over 10" (25cm) long, 5" (12cm) deep and 6" (15cm) tall!

Combine multiple Modular Testing Chamber sets and your own module designs for unlimited variations. The possibilities are endless!

Parts Count: ???

7399727318_b171629515_c.jpg

Contents:

Frame:

• 3 Corner columns

• 8 8L beams

• 4 4L beams

Modules:

• 1 8x8 Big Button

• 1 8x8 Exposed Mesh with Platform

• 2 8x8 Non-Portalable

• 6 8x8 Standard

• 8 4x4 Non-Portalable (2 Raised)

• 2 4x4 Stairs

• 4 4x4 Toxic Water

• 1 4x4 Orange Corner L

• 1 4x4 Orange Straight

• 1 4x4 Orange Tick

• 1 4x4 Blue Corner L

• 1 4x4 Blue Straight

• 1 4x4 Blue Cross

• 16 4x4 Standard

Accessories:

• 3 Aperture Science Sentry Turrets

• 1 Small button

• 1 Weighted Storage Cube

• 2 Aperture Science Handheld Portal Devices

• 2 Portal tiles

• 1 Customizable Level Sign

• Bonus Ratman gear - A box, water, an empty milk carton! Beans!

7399727524_303002d3f4_z.jpg

Here are all of the characters that feature across the two sets - turrets, test subjects, cubes and cores! In the spirit of an actual LEGO set, we aimed to use as few new parts as possible. The turrets are made using 4 new pieces, which are also used for the Portal gun.

Update!

7461433634_0b79742e12_c.jpg

Portal Puzzle Board Game

"Now you're thinking with Portals."

Like the Portal games, this is an enthralling battle of wits! Build baffling chambers using the instructions in the included Puzzle Booklet, and solve them with your Portal Device and innate cunning! If you beat all of the included chamber designs, get a friend to design a new one, or find additional fan made puzzles online. This is an indispensable 3D board game for any Portal fan!

Parts Count: 178

7461433430_fa8bb651e0_c.jpg

Nobody but John is quite sure how to play the game yet, but he assures me that the game would be very fun to puzzle through,and it is indeed completely customizable for making your own puzzle chambers.

7461430118_bee53a7560_c.jpg

Here are the microfigs and chamber details that would be included the set. Thanks to the Minecraft microfigs that came from Cuusoo, hopefully the printing required for the companion cube should be possible! :sweet: The test subject microfig could be made like normal microfigs without the hairpiece, but proper hairpieces is something that I'd personally love to see in future LEGO board games.

7461433218_ffb6aea9a4_c.jpg

It's disappointing that we won't be able to see this project become a reality via Cuusoo, but we had a great time designing the sets and will possibly look into bringing the custom minifigs to life if there's enough interest. Comments and questions are most welcome! :sweet:

Thanks to the awesome staff at Cuusoo who gave Portal a second look, this project is now on Cuusoo and 100% suportalable! If you'd like to see Portal LEGO sets become a reality, support it now at the Cuusoo project page!

As of updating this post, the project has only been live for less than a day, but we already have over 650 supporters! I'd like to extend a massive thanks for everybody who has supported our project so far - it means the moon to us! :wub:

Edited by Brickthing

WOW!

Best creation I have ever seen!

Portal being my 3rd favourite game this is awesome to see in LEGO style.

Great work Team Jigsaw and thanks for sharing it with us Brickthing!

Is there a feature where you can

swap Wheatley's head with Glados'?

Excellent work!

Is there a feature where you can

swap Wheatley's head with Glados'?

Excellent work!

Yep - both use this piece, which make a sturdy but easily swap-able ball-socket connection to this piece on the body. :grin:

Great work! This is much better than the current Portal project on CUUSOO, which LEGO allowed instead of yours for some reason. I especially love the design of GlaDOS. :classic:

That project was created before Cuusoo's pre-screening process, although I'm surprised it hasn't been removed yet. Hopefully if that project gains enough supporters, Cuusoo might reconsider their decision on Portal's IP status, for better or worse.

That is fantastic. It would definitely get my vote.

Why on earth would CuuSoo reject Portal for the IP? It's not a mature or even teen rated game? Did someone there get confused and think it was a first person shooter or something?

That is fantastic. It would definitely get my vote.

Why on earth would CuuSoo reject Portal for the IP? It's not a mature or even teen rated game? Did someone there get confused and think it was a first person shooter or something?

Yeah I agree. I've played through the whole game and there's nothing offensive at all! It's rated E10+! That's what Lego's games are rated! They must be confused. Anyway, fantastic creation Brickthing! Very nice detailing. It looks so similar to the game!

I saw this briefly over on Flickr. :wub_drool: It's amazing! You've all done a wonderful job. Would it be possible to get some instructions for them? I'd love to have a Glados around.

This is amazing. I beat both games in one week. :grin:

The execution and design of these are amazing. It really is a shame this can't get passed.

I love the game duo and I would have loved the sets, especially how accurately you've represented the look and feel and the presentation you gave.

Sad that it wasn't allowed though. Perhaps they considered it an unobtainable license, on Valve's part?

:wub_drool: :wub_drool: :wub_drool: These are freaking amazing! NOW you're thinking with Portals! I would buy the GLaDOS set, since that is just.. outstanding! That Wheatley is awesome, too. I saw another neat Wheatley somewhere, but--wow. You are just-- awesome!

1000/10!

-Sci

Whoa, great job! Excellent presentation, those renders are fantastic. It's unfortunate that LEGO didn't approve of this. You would definitely have my vote for this set :sad:

These are such well thought out sets and a fantastic homage to a great game. It is a shame they will not be considered.

Impressive work, looks great!

However... I can certainly understand why LEGO think it's an inappropriate IP. I mean, think about it: Portal is about a murderous AI/robot that pulls cruel experiments on human subjects before killing them... and who nerve gassed an entire corporation to death. It's basically genocide and human experimentation added some slavery for flavor.

And yes, I know that certain other IPs - such as Star Wars - contains elements of cruelty as well. But in those cases, they aren't represented as much as core parts of the story as in Portal.

But anyway, that's just my take on it. Either way, these models look fun and good. :thumbup:

Impressive work, looks great!

However... I can certainly understand why LEGO think it's an inappropriate IP. I mean, think about it: Portal is about a murderous AI/robot that pulls cruel experiments on human subjects before killing them... and who nerve gassed an entire corporation to death. It's basically genocide and human experimentation added some slavery for flavor.

And yes, I know that certain other IPs - such as Star Wars - contains elements of cruelty as well. But in those cases, they aren't represented as much as core parts of the story as in Portal.

But anyway, that's just my take on it. Either way, these models look fun and good. :thumbup:

Dont forget the whole Nazi reference in Indiana Jones. While not as apparent, a simple google check or asking your history teacher about them will inform any youngling the horror they did.

Am I the only one who noticed the Portal Gun is half of the Turret figures?

-Sci

I abosolutely love the Glados one, i'd like to build it, anyone having a LDD?

Am I the only one who noticed the Portal Gun is half of the Turret figures?

-Sci

That's intentional. :wink:

In the spirit of an actual LEGO set, we aimed to use as few new parts as possible. The turrets are made using 4 new pieces, which are also used for the Portal gun.

Absolutely stunning work...

This would have been absolutely a fantastic set.

I'm glad you guys at least have fun... But you never know... There's always hope... Or make and sell your own sets! I'd buy one!

Wow! Just... wow. The portal gun looks like an official LEGO element, even reminds me of Bionicle Whenua, yet menacing and sinister. The testing room is pure modular awesomeness. Great work.

Dont forget the whole Nazi reference in Indiana Jones. While not as apparent, a simple google check or asking your history teacher about them will inform any youngling the horror they did.

There's nazis in Indy, yes, and if the plot of any of the Indy movies involved the genocides committed by the nazis, I'm sure LEGO would have opted out. It's all about context and use.