Sign in to follow this  
natelite

Mecha Competition

okay - after seeing the knight competition how about having a mecha competition? no prize though, just the glory of being declared the winner of the competition.

intro-

we know the keiken sensei sits behind and direct his boys to battle and he doesn't have a mech (at least not officially). but when the robots invaded the fortress it is the final stand for the humans. every being has to be useful at that stage...even the civilian sensei. so, the competition is to moc a mech for him.

rules-

mech color scheme: white and light (bluish or old) gray to match his suit and hair. you can use black or dark grey for joints or minor parts but major observable parts need to either be white or light gray. eg, supernova is considered yellow and red despite having lots of hidden white/dark grey/black parts.

*** IMPORTANT: if you decide to make a steampunk mech, then the color rule is relaxed to include brown ***

size: any except large. you can make him a body armor suit, a mini exo like the gate defender or uplink or a medium exo like grand titan or stealth hunter. you can't make a mech which requires 2 or more pilots (like striking venom, hero tank or bridge walker) or a mech so large it looks like it can crush the entire robot force by itself.

shape: biped preferred (humanoid or chicken) and will get full point for each vote. 3 or more legs will get 75% for each vote and vehicular will get 0.5 point for each vote.

no limit to number of entries. competition ends in 1 month and may be extended on majority's request. :-)

*PIC POSTING*

if you post in the thread, please allow a maximum of 5 and with maximum dimension of 640x480. story optional but will significantly improve readers connection with your moc.

you can provide brickshelf folder should you choose to have more pics. please provide folder link. no limit on dimension or number of pics for brickshelf link.

judging will be held as a poll with EBers voting for their favorites.

p.s. if you dont have the sensei mf feel free to use any mf or moc your own sensei mf. just need someone in white and an old man's head. feel free to use a helmet instead of the hairpiece.

I'm in.

Mecha must be white and gray. Can weapons be other colors?

You also said any size but large and then you later said it can be very large what is the size limit in studs high? 48, one large baseplate or nothing bigger than say Supernova?

I'm in.

Mecha must be white and gray. Can weapons be other colors?

You also said any size but large and then you later said it can be very large what is the size limit in studs high? 48, one large baseplate or nothing bigger than say Supernova?

Awesome! a contestant.

sure - weapons can be of any color. only the mech needs to be in white and/or gray. feel free to use different colors for rockets batteries etc.

for size, maybe i mistated but i think i said any but not large. certainly nothing so large it can crush the entire robot army. so for comparison wise, let's put it as no bigger than a supernova.

I've never really built a mech, but you can count me in. Now, let's go and pick up a Stealth Hunter :-D

By the way...are the Bionicle-ish parts like the big swords etc. allowed?

I've never really built a mech, but you can count me in. Now, let's go and pick up a Stealth Hunter :-D

By the way...are the Bionicle-ish parts like the big swords etc. allowed?

sure. any lego parts are allowed.

i have a request msg and i thought about it and it seems reasonable. steampunk entries are also acceptable. if you decide to make a steampunk mecha, then the color rule is relaxed to include brown as well.

while i know exoforce is futuristic mecha, i thought about why sensei doesn't go into battle. while he is the engineer of the robots and mechs before they turn on the humans, i kinda buy the argument that he probably kept a steampunk mech as a hobby, much like how many collectors keep old vintage cars. so yeah, if you can make a good steampunk mecha - please enter!

natelite,

I'm not a Mech fan at all but I'll enter just for fun ;-)

However may I suggest some pointers here:

* you should have a special thread only for entries !! And this one will be used for questions, comments and what have you

* you should have a number of pics per entry (like 2 or 3) + link to gallery

* you should have a size set up for the pics

I'll go and pin this fun contest !!

EDIT: I have a question regarding points: mine will have 2 legs to get the full credit but are arms mandatory ?? I was thinking of a model with no arms, is that counting for full credit as well ??

Mech On !!

*yoda*

natelite,

I'm not a Mech fan at all but I'll enter just for fun ;-)

However may I suggest some pointers here:

* you should have a special thread only for entries !! And this one will be used for questions, comments and what have you

* you should have a number of pics per entry (like 2 or 3) + link to gallery

* you should have a size set up for the pics

I'll go and pin this fun contest !!

EDIT: I have a question regarding points: mine will have 2 legs to get the full credit but are arms mandatory ?? I was thinking of a model with no arms, is that counting for full credit as well ??

Mech On !!

*yoda*

ops, i'm a contest virgin. :-D thanks for the pointers.

when you refer to arms, none are necessary. you can make a battle tech style mech with 2 rocket batteries instead of arms or you can make a full android aka gundam/macross style mech.

No worries natelite ;-)

I'll post my weirdo Mech tomorrow hehe !! You will clearly see I am NOT a mech Builder hehe !!

Mech On !!

*yoda*

I'm about to do my photoshoot natelite, can you please advise how many pics allowed in the entries' thread + pic dimensions asap please ;-)

Many tks in advance ;-)

*yoda*

I'm about to do my photoshoot natelite, can you please advise how many pics allowed in the entries' thread + pic dimensions asap please ;-)

Many tks in advance ;-)

*yoda*

cool!

pics unlimited, and any dimension for brickshelf folder. please include link to folder. ;-)

if included in thread, max pics = 5, pic dimension = 640x480 (max - can be smaller than that)

Okie hehe !!

I'll just post 2 pics in the contest thread and will link it to the discussion thread of my baby ;-)

Mech On !!

*yoda*

we have 9 more days to go before yoda is declared the winner. we won't want that now do we? ;-) so post your mechas and thrump yoda's!!!

How'd I miss this topic?!?

Stupid question #2:

*** IMPORTANT: if you decide to make a steampunk mech, then the color rule is relaxed to include brown ***

Steam-punk mech?

:-/

How'd I miss this topic?!?

Stupid question #2:

Steam-punk mech?

:-/

steam-punk...not sure where the punk comes from, but my understanding is that steam-punk = retro. cyber punk = futuristic. punk seems to mean machine or something...steam = steam technology....which is synonymous with retro or ancient....lol. does that answer your question?

Steampunk is a subgenre of speculative fiction which came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. It concerns works set in the past, or a world resembling the past, in which modern technological paradigms occurred earlier in history, but were accomplished via the science already present in that time period. It is often associated with cyberpunk and shares a similar fanbase but developed as a separate movement. Works of this genre typically also fall into the categories of either science fiction or fantasy.
Although many works now considered seminal to the genre were published in the 1960s and 70s, the term "steampunk" originated in the late 80s as a tongue in cheek variant of "cyberpunk". H.G. Wells' The Time Machine could be considered as a very early exponent of the genre. The prototypical "steampunk" stories were essentially cyberpunk tales that were set in the past, using steam-era technology rather than the ubiquitous cybernetics of cyberpunk but maintaining those stories' "punkish" attitudes towards authority figures and human nature. Originally, like cyberpunk, steampunk was typically dystopian, often with noir and pulp fiction themes, as it was a variant of cyberpunk.As the genre developed, it came to adopt more of the broadly appealing utopian sensibilities of Victorian scientific romances.

Steampunk fiction focuses more intently on real, theoretical or cinematic Victorian-era technology, including steam engines, clockwork devices, and difference engines. While much of steampunk is set in Victorian-era settings, the genre has expanded into medieval settings and often delves into the realms of horror and fantasy. Various secret societies and conspiracy theories are often featured, and some steampunk includes significant fantasy elements. There are frequently Lovecraftian, occult and Gothic horror influences as well.

Read more here.

thanks for entry. it's quite good. i especially find the head interesting. looks gundamsque. i can see why you like bionicle parts now...very creative use of the large pieces like the motocycle's part as the head.

do you have a funny story to go with it since you named it the "escape" mech? it's kinda unusual as it still has a weapon... :-D

i also like how you played with the dramatic lighting in the second picture. *y*

Funny story? Hmm... actually, I just pictured the guy giving the Exo-Force heroes a looooong speech to pump them up for battle, followed by running down into a dark basement 5 minutes later to start up the escapemech, scared shitless.

Dark humor, I know. :-D

The dramatic lighting was what I pictured the basement looking like, just a single light swinging overhead.

(Actually, it's an LED flashlight / cigarette lighter with about 7 LED nodes).

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

Hmmm...I have a bit of an Idea using... my bee.

Atough, I don't wanna take my bee apart, in fact, I may just buy another one of those, so I won't ut the stickers on. But I may not enter it as well...Oh soo many choices, soo little time.

I finished up my mecha but need to take some pictures still. I will try to get it up tonight and post my entry tomorrow.