Robert8

Best LEGO Ideas set so far

Best LEGO Ideas set so far  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best LEGO Ideas set released so far?

Oh! So many good ones here. After looking at the Ideas lineup, it's certainly produced great sets. I'm stuck between the Ecto-1, Wall-E, the Exo Suit, and (a no-brainer for me) Doctor Who. I wish multiple replies were allowed, but I'm going for Doctor Who.

Not sure if it's "the best", but the one I most looking forward to is... Doctor Who!

Andy D

I voted Exo-Suit, but I hold the Shinkai 6500, Hayabusa and Curiosity in high esteem. I, for one, would like to see more of those kinds of sets, but with some beefier descriptions on the booklet. Birds, too. I'm surprised it doesn't get as many votes.

My top 3:

#1 Doctor Who

#2 Wall-E

#3 Ghostbusters Ecto-1

The Doctor Who set is as close to perfection as you can get, Wall-E is just incredibly cute (despite that pesky neck issue) and the Ecto-1 is simply a sight to behold :wub: The specific order is due to personal bias :tongue:

Not even a tie in my case... Ecto-1 was the best set of all. I would even dare to say that it was one of Lego's best set ever :)

Exo-suit. Hands down. It's affordable, complex, aesthetically pleasing, and (neo) classic. I own 2 and hope to acquire more. Flawless design.

Following the Exo suit is Wall-E and the Research Institute. I missed out on the institute, due to that coming out at a bad time for me financially and circumstantially, but I voted for it, and I am a huge proponent of Gender equality in real life and in my Lego sets! I'm even more pleased that they didn't even draw too much attention that the institute was exclusively female. :laugh: Not only is the feminist in me happy with the set, though, but so is the wannabe scientist! As a Biology Major, I love scientist figures! And the paleontologist appeals to my dino-loving brother! I know my organic chemistry professor has a set of this, and she doesn't even particularly care for Lego.

Wall-E was a beautiful film. I may get this guy this week for my brother, who agrees with me. The model looks excellent! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Ecto-1 with wall-e a close second. This voting is too biased though as people will always vote for their personal favourite subject, theme or licence instead of the most well made set.

I feel kinda bad that Birds (as of this writing) hasn't gotten any votes in the poll. Technically speaking it's not my "favorite" set, but I enjoyed it, and found it more interesting to build than Big Bang Theory, The Rover, Back to the Future and Ghostbusters; in fact, I'd give it a clear number 2 slot in my list of favorites to date. Seeing it come up empty in the polls really doesn't do it justice.

Number one goes to the Exo-Suit in my book, but I thought Birds was reasonably well done, an enjoyable set of builds and a refreshing take on Ideas as a crowdsource for cleaver builds, not just a popularity poll on overlooked IP licenses.

Still, I'm hoping to get my hands on a Doctor Who set in the near future, but I wouldn't vote for it until I'd actually built one even though I really like the look of it so far.

I voted Exo-Suit, but I hold the Shinkai 6500, Hayabusa and Curiosity in high esteem. I, for one, would like to see more of those kinds of sets, but with some beefier descriptions on the booklet.

I agree - having a number of the Discovery series of sets, I really like the fact that those sets got the votes they needed, and am saddened that most sets are now a media popularity contest as opposed to what's a really great set.

In any event, I hope they do more Discovery, regardless of what happens on Ideas.

For the record, I voted for Ecto-1. Wall-E is also very nice, but I every time I see the picture I think of the design flaw. I actually have the box sitting here on my desk as I write this.

I like the birds, but didn't get them. I'm on the fence about their worth, even if they were well done. I did get the research institute and the exo-suit; I will get BBT, but it's not a great representation of the show, IMO, and I didn't vote for it on ideas. I don't think a typical sitcom could really adequately be represented by a set.

I didn't vote for Dr. Who. It looks like a nice set, I may get it, but I'm not a huge Dr. Who fan, and while the phone booth does a great job of making it identifiable, the rest of it is just meh, IMO.

Ultimately, I think Wall-E is the most visually stunning, but the Ecto-1 is absolutely the best at giving is a visually stunning, iconic, instantly recognizable set without any functional design flaws.

In any event, I hope they do more Discovery, regardless of what happens on Ideas.

I am totally in agreement with this. I have the entire Discovery line and thought it was great. I would love to see it revived with a sort of "Architecture" flare, detailed models, perfect bound instructions books with all sort of extra information and nice packaging. We could get all sorts of rovers, landers, probes and launch vehicles. It also wouldn't have to be strictly Discovery Space either, there's plenty of room for undersea exploration vehicles/robots as well.

Oh well, and old engineer can always dream I guess...

I am totally in agreement with this. I have the entire Discovery line and thought it was great. I would love to see it revived with a sort of "Architecture" flare, detailed models, perfect bound instructions books with all sort of extra information and nice packaging. We could get all sorts of rovers, landers, probes and launch vehicles. It also wouldn't have to be strictly Discovery Space either, there's plenty of room for undersea exploration vehicles/robots as well.

Oh well, and old engineer can always dream I guess...

I make a point of voting for practically all the projects of those sorts that I come across. I do hope we'll get more.

I really wish the NASA MSL Curiosity Rover had been available for more than a few days in total. That was the first CUUSOO / Ideas set to be available for such a brief period (at least apart from perhaps the Shinkai 6500, which was limited to Japan anyway), and I had no idea it would be gone so quickly. There was not only no warning, but also no reason to think it would go so quickly - I naturally assumed its availability period would be similar to that of the preceding sets (the Hayabusa, Minecraft Micro World, and Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine), each of which was kept available a good while, so it was quite a shock to realize the two exceedingly brief sales windows a few months apart were apparently going to be it. :/

Edited by Blondie-Wan