Sign in to follow this  
jonwil

Mindstorms EV3 and open source licenses

According to the downloadable instruction manual for the Mindstorms EV3 and according to all the press releases from LEGO, the Mindstorms EV3 runs Linux. This means LEGO is using the Linux kernel (and potentially other software components) that are licensed under the GNU General Public License. The GNU GPL requires LEGO to release certain source code as part of the conditions of using programs released under the GNU GPL. I can't find any reference to the GPL or to the source anywhere on the LEGO Mindstorms web site or via Google searches.

I would like to see someone at TLG (e.g. via an Ambassador) comment on how they intend to comply with the licenses for any software components they are using in the Mindstorms EV3 product and how they intend to release the source code those licenses obligate them to release.

Great to know they did publish it.

Any idea how much of it is open (i.e. are there any bits that still remain closed?)

This seems to include the source code to everything that runs on the intelligent brick. Custom kernel drivers, the LCD user interface, etc etc. Very nice.