Vee

About signature limits

I have a limit of 5 pictures and 4 links for my signature (which does not make much sense for me since logically speaking it should be 5 pictures and 5 links or 4 pictures and 4 links since if you have a picture you will mostly want to have it linked to someplace else) but I have been seeing users with many more pictures and links in their signature than this limit would allow, like one that has 10 pictures, one link for each picture and additional 5 links which makes it with 10 pics and 15 links.

Why are there differences in limits for users?

Why limit number of links if you don't limit number of lines?

Someone could post one thousand lines in a signature but can't use more than 5 pictures...

Why not limit the size of the signature (width and height) in pixels and let the user do whatever s/he wants in that area (as long as morally acceptable, of course)? If I can use up to 5 pictures and each can have up to 500x200 pixels, that is a lot of allowed area to use but who wants to have 5 big images like these in their signature? A signature is supposed to be something small and compact, so better more pictures of much smaller sizes, isn't it?

Note: this is not an important issue for me, but I like to understand the "why" behind things and I can't understand the "why" behind the signature limits, that's why I ask.

Thanks!

Interesting question, I didn't know there was an actual "physical" limit,

Maybe it's because you are Citizen and I'm Count that there's a difference.

Maybe it's because you are Citizen and I'm Count that there's a difference.

Yes, I guess so, the user that has a signature with 10 pics and 15 links is full of badges (like you, but more) and has a lot of stuff and stars in that area with the badges, so I figured s/he must be pretty important, but then I thought why relate signature limits to importance, of number of posts or whatever, does not sound much "democratic" (although I understand that this is not a public server but a private one - but still one expects equality usually in a public forum, right)?

I think it is fantastic that the forum even allows sigs and pics in sigs, I belong to a lot of photography and woodwork forums and they all have the sig function disabled, I guess having a ton of people with a ton of picture signatures very quickly takes up space on a server and can also cause pages to load slowly :-)

As for why it is a rule on here I have no idea as I am new here but certainly a fantastic forum

There is a dedicated topic for signatures discussion here in Website and Forums. Technical discussions do not belong in the General forum.

We can't set guidelines for signatures based on text lines or pixels, as each device will display things differently -- think of mobile devices for instance. Keep in mind the spirit of the guidelines: a few links, a few pics, if you need more then perhaps the best place to put the lot is in your 'about me' page. If your signature gets annoyingly big -- according to our subjective opinion -- you will be told to cut back on content. Simple! :classic:

For mobile devices better would be to have a dedicated site like those sites that detect the device and present the site accordingly. Your site in my mobile looks just like here, in my PC, which means it is not comfortable to use the mobile for this website anyway.

I understand the spirit of and agree with guidelines, my questions were more complex than that and unfortunately you have not answered most of them but it is ok since, as I said, this is not an important issue. Understanding is more relevant to me than actually having the right for more pics and links.

Cheers.

Edited by Vee