MassEditor

Seeking refuge in Mitgardia

The ongoing troubles in the Darklands has forced the displacement of many Nocturnian families, both rich and poor alike. Whole villages emptied after rumors arrived of marauding armies in the countryside, who forced villagers to provide quarter and food while ransacking those who resisted. Mostly the "pillagers" were nothing more serious than a group of bandits or, on occasion, a few Dragon Masters, displaced themselves after the fall of Dragon Keep and in need of nothing more malicious than a warm meal and bed. But troops carrying the Black Spire's standards had been seen more frequently in recent times. Reports grew every week of villages which, suspected of aiding the rebel cause, had been razed by Raavage's soldiers.

This growing fear became too much for many of Nocturnus' already struggling people. Life here is hard enough without the constant threat from pillaging armies. So what was at first a trickle of refugees became a steady stream, as whole families packed up and sought shelter with relatives or friends in the quieter areas of Nocturnus - or, in some cases, in other lands. In fact, perhaps nowhere was the exodus more noticeable than in Nocturnus' border communities, where relative safety could be just a day or two's march away. Deciding to start their lives over in the lands of another Guild must have been a difficult decision to make. Those with plenty of darics in their pockets of course had an easier time, but poorer families had to face not only distrust in their new homes but also little to no employment.

Most daunting to these refugees, however, was the journey itself. Mitgardia, with its harsh and unforgiving terrain, was most suitably to the hard-living people of Nocturnus, but neither rich nor poor could avoid the treacherous, mountainous roads connecting the two lands, where one misstep could prove disastrous. Often the men of the house had stayed behind to sell the family's property - or, most unfortunately, had themselves been forced into the ranks of passing armies - so these perilous treks were made mostly by woman, children and the old. A few of the older villagers, who had perhaps fought in the past and still kept a rusting sword or old bow hidden in their homes, had to be relied on to provide some measure of protection for the other refugees. Still, the well-patrolled roads kept most bandits away, and the majority of those who dared the journey were successful. Although their troubles would not be over, the Nocturnian refugees could at least hope for peace and a chance to raise their families.

But hope, alas, can be fleeting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tl;dr - Pictured below, a group of Nocturnian refugees from Covenant lands enter the Mitgardian lowlands in hopes of a better future. The journey is not easy for everyone but families do their best to aid the old and sick. Fortunately, a cold, spring-fed pond abuts the trail, providing the group with fresh water and a good place to rest from the withering trek.

15147631916_6e801b570e_c.jpg

15170325175_c7fa4028a6_c.jpg

15170324775_1252b20d0d_c.jpg

15168484591_895eee68b4_c.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About this MOC: With Challenge III underway in Mitgardia soon I needed some practice building something other than a swamp, lavafield or mountain so I put together this little freebuild. Mostly wanted to try out some new color schemes for me and go with a Mitgardia-flavored landscape. I thought parts would (correct me if I'm wrong :sceptic: ) look close to the highland-type areas of Scotland so I tried to go with a craggy, rock-strewn landscape, and sparse vegetation consisting mostly of moss and scrub grass. Of course, with current events in Mitgardia, these refugees might have to make the trek back... In any case, thanks for looking and any feedback is certainly appreciated!

Edited by MassEditor

Great build, the rocks are very inventive, and the purity of the landscape is very appealing. The dark orange and olive colors are good choices, and the fig combos and poses are quite amusing. I can almost see it as being a little "too immaculate" (which is completely excusable as this is a very drastic alteration for you), so little details like some minor discolorations in the rocks, varying colors in the pond to emulate depth, or some nearby the pond may make it seem a bit more natural. Nonetheless, very beautiful and well-executed build :classic:

Awesome! Love the figs, and the build is great! Love the ground colours, and the pond is brilliant too- I agree that the rocks are a little too "clean" in the build on it's own, but I think with the figs, it might distract with other colours.

Edited by Lord Vladivus

Awesome moc! Love the boarder and rockwork, and those minifigs make me realise i need more orc minifigs! :blush:

Another great build! The rockwork is top notch, the base is wonderful and the colors you use work like a charm. Just love it, Mass! :sweet:

Really nice work. One thing I would change is the dark orange ground. I think the orc peasants give enough color to that section without the funky ground. Besides, the olive and dk green are different enough to contrast nicely without a third color.

I think the orange works fairly well; it's a path, after all, and should stand out from the surrounding landscape at least somewhat.

Very nice landscape and funny minifigs. I just hope these refugees don't cause any trouble in Mitgardia!

Very nice build, I really like those minifigs! (Is that backpack Lego...?)

Some suggestions for improvements: I think the dark orange looks a bit out of place, a path in a landscape like that would more probably just be gravel/bare stones of the same color as the rocks (dk bley here) based on my experience of the Scandinavian and Irish mountains. I also think that some more of the olive/dark green (for example cheese slopes) on parts of the rocks would make the vegetation more realistic. Finally, I find the water a tad too repetitive with round plates. If it is supposed to be a moving surface maybe some color/structure variation is in order...otherwise I think tiles/snot clear bricks/panels work better for a small pond.

Some suggestions for improvements: I think the dark orange looks a bit out of place, a path in a landscape like that would more probably just be gravel/bare stones of the same color as the rocks (dk bley here) based on my experience of the Scandinavian and Irish mountains. I also think that some more of the olive/dark green (for example cheese slopes) on parts of the rocks would make the vegetation more realistic. Finally, I find the water a tad too repetitive with round plates. If it is supposed to be a moving surface maybe some color/structure variation is in order...otherwise I think tiles/snot clear bricks/panels work better for a small pond.

Backpack is lego. Weirdly large lego. It even opens up.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!

Great build, the rocks are very inventive, and the purity of the landscape is very appealing. The dark orange and olive colors are good choices, and the fig combos and poses are quite amusing. I can almost see it as being a little "too immaculate" (which is completely excusable as this is a very drastic alteration for you), so little details like some minor discolorations in the rocks, varying colors in the pond to emulate depth, or some nearby the pond may make it seem a bit more natural. Nonetheless, very beautiful and well-executed build :classic:

Thanks Scaevola, great feedback and suggestions I'll definitely keep in mind!

Looks great to me...... now get some snow & ice in there! :wink:

Thanks mrcp6d! I realized I might have been pushing it without including some snow, but my thinking was that the parts of Mitgardia adjacent to Nocturnus would have a more temperate climate. In any case, something to keep in mind for the next one!

Why is an orc from the hand of corruption fleeing the black spire? Also nice rock work and cool pond :)

He's an older orc, and realized the error of his ways :grin:

Exactly what I was thinking! Warriors are like gangstas, you don't see many old ones (besides those that gave it up).

Another great build! The rockwork is top notch, the base is wonderful and the colors you use work like a charm. Just love it, Mass! :sweet:

Thanks a lot cesbrick, I'm really glad you joined GoH!

Really nice work. One thing I would change is the dark orange ground. I think the orc peasants give enough color to that section without the funky ground. Besides, the olive and dk green are different enough to contrast nicely without a third color.

Thanks for the feedback Thomas! I was a little unsure about the dark orange myself, but I thought it worked well as a muddy, well-trodden path.

I think the orange works fairly well; it's a path, after all, and should stand out from the surrounding landscape at least somewhat.

Thanks!

Very nice landscape and funny minifigs. I just hope these refugees don't cause any trouble in Mitgardia!

Haha, no trouble surely, but they may just take all your jobs!

As always, excellent critique, very helpful and a lot to keep in mind for future builds! Thanks Gideon! The pond was my least favorite part of how this turned out, and your suggestion of tile or snot bricks would have definitely looked better. I can see too how more of the green coloration on the rocks would have been more accurate. Thanks again, this advice definitely makes me want to try again!

Backpack is lego. Weirdly large lego. It even opens up.

Yessir, from the old Adventurer theme line many years ago.

I really like how you show that the Orcs of Nocturnus have a "real life" also. Great work on figs and I personally like the dark orange ground. It reminds me of some of my hiking trips.

Yessir, from the old Adventurer theme line many years ago.

Deep in my dark ages... Might have to get a few used ones of those some time however, they look great!

Thanks mrcp6d! I realized I might have been pushing it without including some snow, but my thinking was that the parts of Mitgardia adjacent to Nocturnus would have a more temperate climate. In any case, something to keep in mind for the next one!

Eh, mainly joking there. :wink: Southern Mitgardia is fairly snow free in the summer. Heck, even I built this with absolutely no snow: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrcp6d/9860952985/ :blush:

Deep in my dark ages... Might have to get a few used ones of those some time however, they look great!

Get multiples of 2--they're great for horse (or camel) carried rucksacks!

Get multiples of 2--they're great for horse (or camel) carried rucksacks!

Great idea! I've not been entirely satisfied with the other kind of backpack as camel packs...

Sweet build ME, it's small but very effective at portraying the Mitgardian lowlands. I'm not overly fond of civilized orcs though... :grin: