After all the buzz about tiny MOCs pushing themselves into first row and the community-stress that came along with it, I thought it would be a good moment to raise a question that invites you to tell something about how far your LEGO-hobby - or should I say addiction - goes. Hoping that sharing some light-hearted personal stories will add to the community-spirit. :wink:

The main question boils down to the following: Do you actually go as far as to get down on your knees to play with your build to feel how it performs or inspect how it behaves while pushing the buttons on your RC? And of course, any other story or anecdote that shows us how far your addiction goes is welcome too. For instance: LEGO has cost you your marriage and you're fine with it. Share it with us. Anything non-AFOLs won't understand.

320x213.jpg

Let me be the first to speak out. I'm a push-along type of guy. I can sit with my build for hours, pushing the suspension over and over again, seeing the gears function over and over again, and then suddenly, after re-thinking one aspect over and over again, I take half the build apart to refactor only a very small substructure of the entire thing. And when the whole build is - once again - finished, the delight of the accomplishment is tremendous. Until I start testing the suspension again, or start pushing the car once more to feel how the steering behaves. Then the whole process starts over again, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Edited by Didumos69

Can't use these old knees too much after having them perforated by many stray drawing pins as a young'un* so I just sit on the floor with a mess of bits around me.

* Pulling a drawing pin out of your kneecap is one of the weirdest feelings

Not on my knees, but I've been keeping my Technic Space Shuttle on the night stand next to my side of the bed, in case I get the urge to launch a satellite in the middle of the night, just need to make sure the whirr of the micromotor doesn't wake the wife :look:

I do most of my building on the floor. It's a habit I've never really been able to break. When I build sets in the den or living room I will often do it on a table, but when building sets or MOCs in my room or in the basement, it's almost always the floor. Some day my knees might hate me for this.

I always have Lego on my convertible sofa-bed so if I can't sleep I can at least improve something in one of the designs.

I build on the floor surrounded by Lego. My back or knees aren't complaining yet (aah, the joys of youth!) but it is a pain to clean up. I also am a bit of a perfectionist so will make sure a build is perfect, even if that means taking it all apart to fix the bit that is right in the middle! I will also never tire of playing with a completed build; I will spend half a day outside driving my crawler over rocks and other rough terrain and it will still be as exciting as anything.

I used to have a large 1.2m×2.4m particle board to work on, (a large table) but it took a big chunk of room and was difficult to maneuver around. Now, I use an Ikea desktop (about 0.8m×1.4m) and it's big enough for play. No, my knees take no load when I'm with Lego.

I hate the idea of my LEGO touching the floor at all.

an interesting phobia, but one I can whole-heartedly get behind myself :laugh:

I did build my steampunk manor on the floor. At least most of the time. Things tend to get a bit out of hand there though. All the Lego spread out took a lot of floor space in the living room, eventually getting in the way of the guitar-stuff and the gaming consoles. So I think I will try to do my next bigger build on the sofa/coffee table again. It's also more comfortable and you enforce some self-discipline, because you want to eat and sit in that area too :wink:

I try to build on a large coffee table, but more often than not the Lego soon spreads to the floor and my desk, creating a veritable minefield. :grin: There's a running joke in my family about "The Lego Squat." Just imagine kids and adults in this position with Lego in their hands:

Baby_Squat.jpgWhenever I build wheeled things or Bionicle I end up playing with them on the floor. But most of my builds are ships, so most of my playing is done on my feet swooshing them around the house. :sweet:

Edited by Junior Shark

I get down on my knees when my MOC falls apart to pick up the pieces...

(to the tune of the Righteous Brothers'

).

LEGO, LEGO, I get down on my knees for you.

If you only have clutch power like you used to do, yeah.

You have a grip, a grip, a grip you don't find everyday.

So don't, don't, don't, don't let it slip away.

LEGO (LEGO), LEGO (LEGO)

I beg of you please...please,

I need your clutch (I need your clutch),

I need your clutch (I need your clutch),

Well, bring it on back (So bring it on back),

Bring it on back (so bring it on back).

Bring back that clutchin' feelin'

Whoa, that clutchin' feelin'

Bring back that clutchin' feelin'

'Cause it's gone...gone...gone

And I can't go on, woah

I try to build on a large coffee table, but more often than not the Lego soon spreads to the floor and my desk, creating a veritable minefield. :grin: There's a running joke in my family about "The Lego Squat."

Haha I know just what you mean. I find I need to be on the floor to get the creative juices flowing, but my Lego storage (which I sit near) is on the opposite wall to the door. I end up boxing myself in with a sea of Lego between me and the door.

If I'm just building a polybag or something, I'll sit at my desk. But anything larger I always build on the floor.

Especially on those infrequent occasions when I dig my Classic Space collection out of the closet and dive in :D

23915289453_d8554bcf3a_h.jpg

Somehow - I do not know why - floor is always bigger than any table in the room.

So I always build and play on the floor. When I was a kid, now, and now with my kids.

Past it was always on the floor for building. Post an accident that ruined my bike and also mangled the leg a bit i do the bulk of my building on the bed with the legs crossed until it aches then the sore one dangling over the side to alleviate. Most playing and testing is then done later on either the kitchen table/counter or i let someone else have the fun with them wherever they wish. Glad to say the kids still tear all over the loungeroom with em as i used to.

I did at one stage make a handle i transferred between a few models when walking was not an option, let me hear the pistons whirring and kept boredom at bay.

BEFDEDD7-784D-4EC2-80C7-CADF1C7B0C4A_zpsojvcb5qj.jpg

When I build, I'm usually at a table. When I sort, I usually sit cross legged on the floor surrounded by everything. I find I can only sit like this for 30 minutes or so at a time though. Maybe I need to start doing yoga or something like that.

Well the dinning room table is covered by my kids legos. The kitchen table has a smaller number of legos so we can still eat on it. The train table is covered with my kids legos. So the floor is pretty much what I'm left with. :)

I have actually built every Lego set on either the floor of my room, living room, or dining room. Most of the time my room can't handle me building large sets. I do not think I will ever actually NOT build Lego set on the floor. My 10211 Grand Emporium, 10248 Creator Expert Ferrari, 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van, Racers Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 (8169), 10226 Sopwith Camel, 10242 Mini Cooper, for example, are some I've had to go down on my knees to build.

If it's a 3-bag or less set, I build it at my desk, more than that I build it at the table. However, if me and the boy are building a train layout and running trains, it's knees to the floor all dang day.

I live in a small space so the floor tends to be the best way for me to maximize spreading out bricks ability. I just lay out a sheet so that the bricks are somewhat contained. I'm always kneeling in a prayer position or cross legged whenever i'm on the ground. I try to only deal with minifigures on the table however.

Dr. S nailed it as usual. ;)

I ALWAYS set up stuff on a GIANT table someone gave me once, and somehow I ALWAYS end up on the floor. Seriously, I should be an example of force

of gravity in physics textbooks.

I usually build on a table but it to full with parts I have yet to but back in their respective places so I have to build new sets or such on the floor slowly but steadily ruining by back.