Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

[MOC] Eastern monastery

Hi all,

For my 100th post, I will show you a MOC that I made quite some time ago, in February 2014. First some pictures, thereafter I'll give you the story behind it.

7cc20f423d.jpg

712147fb05.jpg

411ba9af24.jpg

049ee36b12.jpg

562a8f7ae3.jpg

Time for the story. When I started building this, I had a few goals in mind:

- It had to be a home for my 4 Ninjago ninja.

- The inside had to provide them with a place to eat, sleep, meditate, train and store their weapons.

- The inside had to be accessible

- It had to be sturdy enough to pick up without it being attached to baseplates.

(I achieved all of these goals
:classic:
)

This was my first attempt at a building with two wings (and single attempt to this date), also the first time I put this much thought in the needs of its users, the way it is used. On top of that, it was the my first building that was for the most part closed up (except for the middle section, but I'll get to that shortly). All things considered, this build is an important piece in my MOC portfolio. Back then, I was really proud and satisfied with this monastery. How I look at it now:

The roof is not SNOTted, it shows almost all studs. I don't think it looks so bad on the tower in the middle, but I do think it looks somewhat ugly on the wings. The interior is obviously very simple and not very aesthetic, but the studs serve their purpose: to put minifigs on them and maintaining playability.

I didn't show the back side for a reason: it looks ugly. I think the front makes up for that.

I'm still proud as ever of the middle section :grin: . The colours and shape are still nice, but the technique I used to attach the 'head' of the tower to the lower level is still special to me.

Bonus pictures:

1ea4450788.jpg proof of its sturdiness :classic:

A WIP picture, probably my most beautiful Lego photo http://puu.sh/hYJV2/e6dcae2f2c.jpg

Thank you very much for viewing, opinions and tips are always welcome! :classic:

Well done! It really blends the classic '90s style buildings with the modern brick pallet! :classic::thumbup:

Would you have any problem if someday I tried to reverse engineer this in LDD?

Well done! It really blends the classic '90s style buildings with the modern brick pallet! :classic::thumbup:

Would you have any problem if someday I tried to reverse engineer this in LDD?

No, I wouldn't have any problem with that, of course not! :blush:

nice!

It's great, I really like the windows with pictures of dragons.

Thanks both of you :classic:! I really wanted to use those nice window panels from set 70505, you may also like the ones included in 2507 and 70728.