1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

gallery_101_23_281.gif

titletext.jpg

I don't know if it's the satisfaction of recreating a classic shot or the fun of actually getting to add noise and make a picture worse to match the original shot, but I just love making those title pics. You can see it in all its glory with no text added here.

Like many people, I was really excited when I first saw this set: Five classic characters, three of them hard to find, and all for $25? Awesome! In fact, so many people apparently agree with that statement that the set was sold out until March after being released in January of 2010, and the LEGO Brand Retail Stores had to stop carrying it for a time so that Shop@Home could keep up with the demand. So far, I haven't really been disappointed by a set that I thought was good, but the law of averages says I have to be wrong sometimes. After actually holding the box in person, I couldn't help but think 'Is this the set that will disappoint me?'

Set Name: Luke's Landspeeder

Set Number: 8092

Ages: 7-12

Number of Pieces: 163

Minifigures: 6

MSRP: $24.99

Theme: Star Wars

Year of Release: 2010

Official Shop@Home Data:

8092-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

Other Resources:

Bricklink

Brickset

Peeron

The Box:

img_6287.jpg

The front of the box shows Luke's SoroSuub X-34 Landspeeder Speeding past a Stormtrooper and his Sentry Droid in the streets of Mos Eisley. Straying from the norm for LEGO Star Wars sets, this one is apparently set in a peaceful scene. True to the movie, there are no blaster shots or explosions in the box art. Strangely, Artoo has been removed from the speeder and is rolling alongside it, perhaps for photography purposes. In the movie, he rides on the back of the landspeeder. You can see in the bottom left the 'Special Edition' tag, and a prominent warning that this set is not for children under age 3. Like all Star Wars sets from the Summer 2009-Winter 2010 waves, it has the trio of clone troopers with a red logo on the banner at the top of this panel. It's also worth noting that in the minfigure lineup, TLG photographed Obi-Wan and Luke with their lightsabers in their left hands, even though both are right-handed.

Like most other sets, the back of the box shows the advertisements and features:

img_6288.jpg

On the left are three very oddly chosen advertisements: two Hoth BPs and the Freeco speeder. They have nothing to do with the Landspeeder set. In fact, they couldn't be more different, with the Landspeeder from a desert planet and the three advertised sets all from snowy planets. My best theory is that they wanted to advertise sets of a similar price point. On the right is a combination action scene and feature description. Luke and Obi-Wan have apparently given up on mind tricks, removed their lightsabers from the hidden compartment, and attacked the Stormtrooper. Artoo is, uh, conversing with the sentry droid and Threepio is running away as fast as his metal legs will carry him. From this view, you can also see that the box is sealed with tapes, not glue. That's not a big deal when buying direct from TLG, but when making purchases at other stores, it decreases the chances that someone has opened up the box, removed the good stuff, and resealed and returned the rest of the set.

Finally, there's the image of an included minifigure on the side, for those who don't know what size LEGO minifigures are:

img_6289.jpg

For this shot, TLG chose Luke, which is the sensible choice since it is his Landspeeder. He's set on top of a red box with subtle lines radiating from the center, as if to say, "Bam! Luke Skywalker minifig that is this size!" It's nothing bad, but I personally prefer the good ol' days when the minifigs were seen in front of an appropriate screenshot from the movies. The box itself is quite skinny, as in BP skinny, yet it still manages to feel only half empty. I have a bad feeling about thins...

The Contents:

img_6292.jpg

Open the box and out will drop three polybags, two loose light bley flex tubes, and one instruction booklet. The polybags, especially the large one, look pretty empty. Looks like my suspicions were correct. :hmpf_bad: In the largest of the polybags, you can see the white cardboard envelope that holds the Sandtrooper's pauldron.

The Instructions:

img_6294.jpg

You probably expected this, but nevertheless I will confirm that the booklet sports the same art as the box. TLG didn't totally scrap the info, though; the choking hazard warning remains. For the life of me, I can't figure out what the mentioned 'small ball' is. The closest thing is the minifig heads.

Inside the booklet at the back are two full non-instructional spreads:

img_6297.jpg

The top one (which is actually the last one, because I read the booklet backwards for this portion of the review) shows advertisements for the other six sets of the wave, opposite another advertisement, this one for the LEGO Club.

The bottom one reprints the side- and back-panel pictures of the set from the box, but on the red background that is now standard for these sections of the booklets.

The page before it has the second half of the parts inventory; the first half is found on the previous page:

img_6298.jpg

Here's a sample page from the build instructions:

img_6299.jpg

The color scheme is also standard in this section, with the sub-steps in pale yellow, the part call-outs in light blue, and everything on top of a light grey background crossed with random, very faint white lines. Color definition is decent, certainly not the best but it works for a small set like this. In addition, by step three of the build, you would have added both dk. bley and black to the model, which serves as a good guideline throughout the rest of the build.

The Minifigures:

img_6321.jpg

Here are the stars of the set, all six minifigs in all their glory. I've arranged them according to the box picture- more or less from shortest to tallest. From left to right, R2-D2, Sentry Droid, C-3PO, Sandtrooper, Obi-Wan, and Luke. The Sandtrooper and Sentry Droid are technically exclusive to the set, although the brick-built droid can easily be recreated from other pieces, and the Sandtrooper is only exclusive because of his black pauldron. Previously, TLG had used the orange pauldron with black trim typical of Sandtrooper squad leaders, but this time they've opted for the solid black edition of the normal trooper. Despite this, the only other current set wherein you can find all the non-exclusive minifigs is the $400 Death Star playset. Mostly my only problem with this lineup is that I'd gladly have traded the sentry droid to get a Tusken. Even if it costs another $5.

The backs of the minifigs look like this:

img_6322.jpg

Only C-3PO has back printing, which has been standard for his minifig from day one. Actually, depending on how you look at it, R2 either also has back printing or is the only 'fig with a double-sided head print. All the characters are the newest editions of their respective minifigs: R2 has a light bley dome, C-3PO is fully dk. pearl gold, the Sandtrooper has a grey and black mouth grille, Obi-wan has his new torso print, and all the faces have pupils.

The Pieces:

Bag One:

img_6300.jpg

As with my last review, although the bags are not numbered, I've dubbed them Bags 1, 2, and 3 based on size of the included pieces. These are the contents of Bag 1.

Basically, the one thing that stands out here is what isn't. For the largest bag of a set, this really isn't a lot of parts. The only pieces that caught my eye (and then only momentarily) were the three engine pieces.

Bag Two:

img_6301.jpg

Bag Two is also very empty, and there is also nothing really rare that stands out here. A couple useful pieces, yes, but if you're a Star Wars builder, at this point you go, 'Uh, oh.'

Bag Three:

img_6302.jpg

Now this is more like it! There's not a ton of pieces, but at least they're all very versatile and the bag is nicely filled like you'd expect out of any other LEGO set. Of greatest interest would be the line of six 'Brick 1 x 1 with Stud on One Side's at the top- those are new for 2010, and I've been waiting a long time for them. The introduction of this piece means no more wobbly or spinning bits of your MOCs when you need that type of connection in that small space and previously had to settle for a Technic 1 x 1 with a half-pin.

Out of all that, here are the pieces of note, and I daresay there aren't a lot, especially for an over-$20 set:

img_6303.jpg

You've got a couple engines, one older engine (introduced in 1981, but has rarely appeared in this millennium) in light bley, some nice slanted vents, the curved brick in dk. red is there only because of its color, and then there are, or course, the 1 x 1s with stud on one side. It should be noted that the dk. bley bracket and black 1 x 1 with studs on four sides are used in the minifigures, so if you plan to take apart the set but not the 'figs, they won't end up in your bin. (or wherever you keep those pieces)

Here's the full list, with links to Bricklink:

Engine, Smooth Large, 2 x 2 Thin Top Plate

Engine, Strakes, 2 x 2 Thin Top Plate

Slope, Curved 3 x 1 No Studs

Slope 18 2 x 1 x 2/3 with 4 Slots

Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Stud on 1 Side

Minifig, Neck Bracket with Back Stud

Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Studs on 4 Sides

The Build:

img_6310.jpg

The build seemed rather 'Ho-hum', just stacking up bricks with no real difficulty or interesting techniques, but if you want to get a closer look you can access the large version in my Brickshelf. Very quickly into the build, at Step 7, you'll have laid the foundation of the landspeeder, which'll be reinforced in Step 15. The shape is finalized by Step 19. The big step is Step 27, wherein you insert the pieces of flex tubing to imitate the ribbing found on the 'real' thing. By the way, if you were planning on using those for MOCing, I'd advise you to either never insert them or insert them for any pictures you may need (such as for a review) and then remove them whenever you're not taking pictures. They can be bent back to fairly straight if you're careful, but after only an hour or so during my photo shoot, they're permanently angled a couple degrees. Back to the build, by Step 36 you've fully fleshed out the chassis and both lateral engines are attached by Step 38. There is a separately numbered section to build the dorsal engine, which is designed to be removed as a play feature which we'll get to soon, but Step 39 officially completes the set. Other than that one sub-model, the instructions take you on a straight-forward path to the end of the build, but I'm not sure if I like that or not. The build seemed quite simple, more like building a BP or other $10 set than the $25 set this is. Then again, it's not really much smaller than some other sets of this price range.

Here are the extras that should be left over when the build is complete:

img_6330.jpg

Your usual Technic pin and studs, plus a white lever which is an okay extra and three cheese wedges which are always nice to have around. Personally, I would have given up both studs and the lever to get an extra lightsaber hilt, but hey, they're freebies, so I really can't complain.

The Finished Set:

img_6359.jpg

First off, a couple links: As always, I have a larger version of the above pic here, but if you want to get up-close and personal with a set without actually building it, the best way is with an LDD model. You can find one from EB's database here.

Now then, on to the set. It looks pretty good, instantly recognizable as the vehicle from A New Hope. Much of the design, including the flex tubing technique, is borrowed from its predecessor, which was included in set 4501. The only big changes are base color (from sand red to tan/sand yellow), windshield, and the pieces used for the engines. Speaking of engines, this is the first version to have the port engine missing its cowling represented by a completely different piece, rather than a color change. This makes it stand out more, but personally I think it looks too skeletal. A 2 x 2 cone with some Technic gears could probably have done the job better. If you look in the cockpit, you can see TLG aligned the seats and gave the right one a steering wheel (which is accurate; one of the props from Ep. 4 was a fully drivable landspeeder with three wheels hidden inside the bottom, and it was controlled by a steering wheel. Since the prop was built in England, the wheel is on the right side as opposed to the left). However, TLG didn't leave a cut out in the dashboard for the steering wheel, and just makes the whole think one stud longer, which leaves a gap in front of the passenger seat. Minor gripe. As for the other changes, the move from sand red to tan makes sense, since sand red isn't in production anymore. The windshield was changed to a more accurate curved variety from the Speed Racer sets. Not very many changes; TLG seems happy with this design, and I have to say I don't think it could get much better without SNOT and illegal connections.

Here's a reference picture off Wookieepedia:

X34-landspeeder.jpg

The landspeeder noticeably has too much dk. red on the back half, and I think the engines, while the 'real' ones are dual-colored, would look better in tan than dk. bley. One thing I don't like is how the dk. red tiles on the front are just on tan plates; if they had been sunk into the tan plating like that dk. bley grille in front of the windshield, it would have appeared much sleeker. That of course is impossible for the forward-most tile, which is on top of curved wing plates, but it's purposely raised even higher anyways. Also a minor gripe.

The Features:

img_6364.jpg

As with most every System Star Wars set, TLG has added a play feature to the set. Thankfully, this is a non-violent vehicle, so no flick-fire missiles here. :classic: The feature is a storage compartment under the dorsal engine. It fits the two lightsabers nicely, provided you take the blades off the hilts, but it's not really good for anything else in this set. I suppose you could pretend it was removable for engine maintenance. It's really a nice touch, makes this set more appealing to the targeted audience, and it blends in nicely. Also, the bottom is lined with boat studs, like most LEGO landspeeders, so you can make it skid, slide and do fishtail turns across the carpet. I think I found that more fun than the storage compartment. :grin:

The Ratings:

Price/Piece Count: 13/20 When a set makes you pay 15 cents per piece, it's a given that this rating won't be too high. I was in a good mood and added a couple points for larger pieces.

Bricks: 14/20 What's even worse is that some of those pieces don't have very many uses. The most useful pieces I got out of this set were the flex tubing and 1 x 2 grille slopes.

Build: 12/20 Honestly I want more than a BP-difficulty build out of a $25 set. Even inserting the flex tubing, which others said was hard, was quick with the right angle.

Minifigs: 19/20 These are likely the reason you got the set, but I would have liked to see a Tusken and the orange pauldron for the Sandtrooper, which is much more recognizable.

Playability/Features: 16/20 This is about as swooshable as a landspeeder gets, and the compartment is a nice touch. I would have liked to see a little more effort smoothing out that compartment's interior, though.

Grand Total: 74/100, or 74%. All those categories have minor gripes, but those minor gripes add up. It's certainly a passing score, mostly due to the minifigs, but there's plenty of room for improvement. Or modding, for those who want to keep the set together.

Conclusion:

If you got this for the minifigs, and most likely you did, these are indeed the droids you are looking for. I can't deny that it's deserving of the popularity it has attained due to that attribute. However, should you already own most or all of the minifigs, then this set loses a lot of its value.

img_6365.jpg

Huh, what a coincidence. I was just looking at these exact pics on BS in another tab, when I clicked on the EB tab I had open and this was at the top of the Active Content page :tongue:

As for the review, great job as usual. As for the set, the model is nice, and there are a lot of figs, but I think the price could be at least $5 cheaper.

BTW, excellent Photoshopping in the first picture :thumbup:

Edited by prateek

I think it's a set designed for a beginner or for kids (Well, younger kids :D)

The build looks sturdy enough for 5-6 years old, and for the price -I've seen it to less than 20 usd on amazon right before christmas- you have a bunch of common yet emblematic figures. As an addition I think it's a nice upgrade of the previous landspeeder, especially color-wise.

Excellent review and kudos on the pictures perfect lighning :-)

BTW, excellent Photoshopping in the first picture :thumbup:

Excellent review and kudos on the pictures perfect lighning :-)

Thanks. Photos are kind of my thing in reviews.

Great and extensive review. I own this set, and I have to admit it doesn't look exactly like the movie version, but it's a decent set with cool figures at a moderately cheap (as Legos go) price. I too found that the gray tubes were easy to insert, but I had to bend them into the general shape before inserting them (when I tried bending it as I put it in, the piece holding it in/back would pop out. Enjoy you speeder!

-Cad Bane

Another excellent review, with the usual crisp-clear photos and very well written Brickdoctor-style! :thumbup: Regarding the set, this is definitely one of the best of 2010 - it's minifig galore(!) plus you get Luke's classic landspeeder in a relatively inexpensive set. Truly a must-buy for any SW fan.

Another excellent review, with the usual crisp-clear photos and very well written Brickdoctor-style! :thumbup: Regarding the set, this is definitely one of the best of 2010 - it's minifig galore(!) plus you get Luke's classic landspeeder in a relatively inexpensive set. Truly a must-buy for any SW fan.

Thanks. :classic:

I would have to partially disagree with that statement, as I said in the review, none of the 'figs can really be considered exclusive, so if you already own them from separate sets or if you bought or plant to buy the UCS MF or DS playset, this set is no longer a must-buy or a good deal.

I would have to partially disagree with that statement, as I said in the review, none of the 'figs can really be considered exclusive, so if you already own them from separate sets or if you bought or plant to buy the UCS MF or DS playset, this set is no longer a must-buy or a good deal.

Yeah maybe I was just a bit biased since when I bought that set last year, I never owned any of those figs before, so it was definitely a great buy for me.

Great review Brickdoctor.

Flickr'ed and blogged

It would be soo much easier if you had a flickr account :laugh:

No matter though - great review on a great set which sadly is a little overpriced.

Love the last picture :wub:

Great review Brickdoctor.

Flickr'ed and blogged

It would be soo much easier if you had a flickr account :laugh:

No matter though - great review on a great set which sadly is a little overpriced.

Love the last picture :wub:

Er, I do actually have a Flickr account under the same username, but since only RA teachers can add photos to the RA group, I haven't bothered uploading review pics yet.

Spot-on review, Brickdoctor. I especially love your opening and closing pictures! Your criticisms of the set are all valid, but I have to say I would have given it a higher final score. To me, no matter how simple a build it is, and no matter that you don't get any really great parts in it, this is a classic set. The selection of minifigs simply can't be beat in the SW universe. In some of the CW sets, we're debating whether you should buy a $60 set on the strength of two unique minifigs (cough, cough, Jedi Shuttle). This one has five central characters. It's also one of the iconic vehicles, and I think the Lego rendition is maybe not the most faithful reproduction ever, but definitely a good-looking vehicle. It's pretty enough that months after I disassembled it for parts, I went back and rebuilt it, because I want this baby on my shelf. Swoosh swoosh!

I should perhaps note that this was the first Lego set I bought (for myself) as an adult.

P.S. - regarding the flex tubes, if you want to straighten them out after being in landspeeder form for a while, it might be worth trying to soak them in hot water for a short period. You might not be able to get them 100% straight, but it should help. This advice comes from the knitting world - it's what we generally do with circular knitting needle cables to straighten them out. Yon flex tubes look to be a similar sort of plastic to what a lot of circular cables are made of. Worth a shot, anyway.

I got them back to pretty straight after some, ah, precision bending, but I'll have to try that in the future. :classic:

Even though I'm an OT fan through and through, when reviewing I try to keep a neutral standpoint and review each and every set on the same scale. Value is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, and based on what minifigs you own this set can be a dream come true or a worthless reissue. This set depends entirely on its minifigs and sort of ignores the rest of the set, and I wanted that to be reflected in the scores. The final total is just that: a total, designed to be a general guideline. You have to read through the review, or at least the individual ratings to really get a feel for the set and make a decision whether to buy or not. I also added explanations beside each score to emphasize the strengths and weaknesses of this set.

Great review! I really like your style of reviewing and how you joined some of the pictures together (especially when showing the building of it). I also like your photoshop but isn't it taken from the special edition (because of the unnecasary CGI monster :laugh: ). Personally I don't like the set but I'll be looking out for your reviews. :thumbup:

Great review! I really like your style of reviewing and how you joined some of the pictures together (especially when showing the building of it). I also like your photoshop but isn't it taken from the special edition (because of the unnecasary CGI monster :laugh: ). Personally I don't like the set but I'll be looking out for your reviews. :thumbup:

I think it's from the special edition. I have a Mac, which is smart enough to make the DVD player turn out transparent in a screenshot, so I have to rely on whatever good photos I can find on the 'net.

I think it's from the special edition. I have a Mac, which is smart enough to make the DVD player turn out transparent in a screenshot, so I have to rely on whatever good photos I can find on the 'net.

I'm just messing with you. :wink:

Is it just me or are the two lightsabers slightly different colours?

P.S I'm not talking about the ones on the sandtroopers backpack.

Is it just me or are the two lightsabers slightly different colours?

P.S I'm not talking about the ones on the sandtroopers backpack.

The metallic hilts? Could be. Pearl colors are always mottled.

The metallic hilts? Could be. Pearl colors are always mottled.

I wouldn't know. I don't think I've had an actual lightsaber since 2005! All mine are chrome or light up lightsabers.

But I did mean the metallic hilts. :wink: