Sign in to follow this  
Brickextreme

Mariner Hotel Modular MOC

As I admitted in my "5 Modular Building MOCs" post, I am not very good at original ideas. For this MOC, I was influenced by cimddwc's awesome Emerald House. Typically, my designs are based on convenience. In other words, what can I build without having to Bricklink. I started by trying to replicate the Emerald House, but didn't have enough dark green. Also, I didn't have enough of either white or tan windows so I made the second and third floors different colors. From there, I took some other liberties. Floors are removable but no interiors......possibly I will get to it someday.

As always, I welcome positive feedback as well as constructive criticism.

26402530234_c742155146_c.jpgaDSC01130 - Copy by Brick Extreme, on Flickr

26402529784_28f6ee3bd4_c.jpgaDSC01113 - Copy by Brick Extreme, on Flickr

26402529324_5d4446c80b_c.jpgbDSC01126 - Copy by Brick Extreme, on Flickr

26402526434_27e3230363_c.jpgaDSC01125 - Copy by Brick Extreme, on Flickr

I think it looks fine with the floors being different colors because you used brown consistently throughout. Very nice.

Does the black pointed roof have a back or is it open? In a many layouts where would can look at the buildings from all sides having exposed backs to roofs looks bad to me. The Chinese theater set has this problem as well.

Wonderful modular! :wub: The stone first floor looks great, with the angled entrance and recessed sections on the side, and I really like the texture of the log bricks on the top story :thumbup:

I think it looks fine with the floors being different colors because you used brown consistently throughout. Very nice.

Does the black pointed roof have a back or is it open? In a many layouts where would can look at the buildings from all sides having exposed backs to roofs looks bad to me. The Chinese theater set has this problem as well.

Thank you for the feedback! Black pointed roof has a back. It's two pieces that fit together, possibly from the Vampyre Castle (set 9468). I bought a bin of Legos that contained it and immediately thought that I needed to build a corner building in order to place it on. I agree on the Chinese theatre and plan to correct it on mine with additional flat pieces.

Very well done! The corner roof looks good too, gotta use that somewhere myself...

Really pretty building with great texture and color use :wub: The ship wheel decoration is very fitting, and I like the technic gears over the upper windows :thumbup:

This looks great! Love the colour combination and the textures in the facade.

It may have been inspired by the Emerald House, but I personally think you have gone above and beyond and created your own building. I especially love the color scheme, as well as the fantastic use of texture bricks throughout the various floors. The ship's wheel is also a great addition and naturally draws the eye towards it. I think I love every variation you've made to the 'original'.

Gorgeous. It's got a lovely symmetry of both colour and shape (I love how the white and tan are inverted on the second and third floors, for example), and I love the front doorway and door - the shape of the arch echoing the shape of the door is lovely, and the wooden door itself contributes a lot to the Mariner theme in a nice, subtle way. The texturing around the windows is very nicely handled, I think, and I love the balconies - the only part that catches at my eye in a negative way is the gear detail over the windows on the top floor. Actually, it's not the detail itself, I think. It seems to sit a little too proud of the wall, pushing it beyond (or at least level with) the depth of the arch. And as a final point, the roof is beautiful - I'll be using that on my own builds, if I can ever get around to them!

Great work! I love just how tall it looks, and the color scheme is great.

Nice take on cimdwwc's design.

While it shares the same basic proportions, I think you added way more than enough to make this more than just a copy. Nice work, like the details on the facade!

I like it too, just beautiful with the wood detail and the textures especially along the eaves. I also really like how you solved the parts problem by making inverted color floors and then making the window detail different, it looks so nice! :classic:

Very nice! The color palette works very well, and the different colors compliment each other nicely. The texture on the building along with the colors really make the building look like an old-time modular building.