MAB

Goodbye Shell. Hello Mobil.

In the wake of the Greenpeace campaign and after LEGO decided not to extend the contract with Shell, it looks like lego have signed a new deal with three automobile manufacturers: Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche. The sneak peak shows some very nice sets.

But a closer look at the stickers on them shows that the other companies' sponsors are also on the LEGO sets - so we are going from Shell to ExxonMobil, another company that Greenpeace has had conflict with about arctic drilling (this time in the Russian arctic).

550_lego_speed_porsche.jpg?l.r=-1081736606550_lego_speed_mclarenmercedes.jpg?l.r=617733478

And also this is the day that the UK gets the new Shell sponsored sets in petrol stations.

LEGO press article is here: http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/news-room/2014/november/lego-speed-champions

Edited by MAB

Mobil 1 is a sponsor of Porsche's and McLaren-Mercedes' racing team (and several other teams I'm sure), not a partner with LEGO. This is no different than how you'll see stickers for things like Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc, though LEGO isn't partnered with those companies.

Edited by Meiko

Just because it's there doesn't mean it is.

TLG signed with McLaren, Porsche, and re-signed with Ferrari, THAT'S IT. All other company logos are there because they just so happen to sponsor the real thing's cars.

Case in point: this model, the 458 GT2:

15392890761_783c60ec46_c.jpg

The companies are, as I can read them:

ANSYS (engineering simulation software)

Hublot (watches)

Adler Plastic (you know, plastic)

UPS (freight courier)

Pakelo (oil lubricant)

See any Shell in there?

What's with some of you and why are you connecting dots that are way too far to make sense connecting?

Green Peace has complained about tons of different companies. No one should listen to anything they say. They make money by raising a ruckus over everything.

I'm really sick of hearing about Lego and Green Peace. I wish we could just ban every topic that mentions Green Peace.

It's a sticker on a race car modeled after a real car? It's not like LEGO and ExxonMobil have an agreement to sell exclusive sets at their gas stations. Or does it? :laugh:

Lego have done this sort of thing in the past. If I remember correctly they used companies such as Addidas and Mcdonalds for their Football sets.

Lego have done this sort of thing in the past. If I remember correctly they used companies such as Addidas and Mcdonalds for their Football sets.

LEGO has had official partnerships with both Adidas (there have been actual LEGO soccer balls as well as Adidas being featured in many sports sets) and McDonald's (LEGO is a common subject of kid's meal toys as well as McDonald's branded sets) though.

Mobil 1 is a sponsor of Porsche's and McLaren-Mercedes' racing team (and several other teams I'm sure), not a partner with LEGO. This is no different than how you'll see stickers for things like Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc, though LEGO isn't partnered with those companies.

That is kind of my point. Lego has said they will not extend a contract with Shell, and made that as a direct statement as a reply to Greenpeace's action. Yet the have now made a statement that they are bringing out new sets that will promote Mobil (and also Shell on the Ferrari one). They are doing this by signing deals with non-oil companies, that also have Mobil and Shell as their sponsors. Lego hasn't made a public statement about no longer having a relationship with Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc.

It's going to be an interesting year......we only know of sets for the first half of 2015 who knows SC might expand even more or maybe the creator/city themes brand names might pop up.

That is kind of my point. Lego has said they will not extend a contract with Shell, and made that as a direct statement as a reply to Greenpeace's action. Yet the have now made a statement that they are bringing out new sets that will promote Mobil (and also Shell on the Ferrari one). They are doing this by signing deals with non-oil companies, that also have Mobil and Shell as their sponsors. Lego hasn't made a public statement about no longer having a relationship with Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc.

Oh, cool. So, following your line of reasoning, you think TLG "will promote Mobil and Shell" by signing deals with makers that are partnered with oil companies, right?

That's still too far a dot to connect, though.

I mean, promoting Mobil? PROMOTING MOBIL?! Isn't that going too far?

So if TLG gets a license from Ford and/or Aston Martin and they make the GT40 and/or V8 Vantage GT3 in the Gulf livery, does it mean that they're promoting Gulf Oil? Maybe, but Gulf isn't big a company anymore, and about 90% of EB members see a car in Gulf livery as a legendary car.

they make the GT40 and/or V8 Vantage GT3 in the Gulf livery

YES. I want that to happen in the next wave of Speed Champions so much.

Lego hasn't made a public statement about no longer having a relationship with Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc.

But my point is LEGO never had a relationship with these companies. Their logos were only present on Ferrari sets because those logos are part of the Ferraris that the sets were based on. It's just a matter of making the car realistic, not about who has a business relationship with who.

Edited by Meiko

YES. I want that to happen in the next wave of Speed Champions so much.

But my point is LEGO never had a relationship with these companies. Their logos were only present on Ferrari sets because those logos are part of the Ferraris that the sets were based on. It's just a matter of making the car realistic, not about who has a business relationship with who.

But doesnt TLG need to enter into some kind of relationship with these companies to display their logos, however tangentially/indirectly or insignificantly?

But doesnt TLG need to enter into some kind of relationship with these companies to display their logos, however tangentially/indirectly or insignificantly?

You do not have to enter a relationship to display a logo. If the logo is trademarked, you should indicate as such if you too have trademarks and wish they be respected too. But it is really up to the owner of the logo to protect their trademarks and brands. If you're making money off someone else's logo, the owner of the logo may want you to license its use. This is the sort of stuff your intellectual property department can sort out. Lots of it is dependent on where you're doing business and the laws around it.

Great. With the official Mobil stickers, I can make an official Valdetz complete with lots and lots of black 1x1 plates as oil spill.

As dr_spock said, you don't need a relationship to display a logo. Since Mobil1 has the relationship with Porsche and McLaren-Mercedes, LEGO doesn't have to do anything on that part unless ExxonMobil says otherwise. However if the set weren't a Porsche or McLaren-Mercedes license but just a generic Mobil1 race car set, then LEGO would need a license with ExxonMobil.

Edited by Meiko

As dr_spock said, you don't need a relationship to display a logo. Since Mobil1 has the relationship with Porsche and McLaren-Mercedes, LEGO doesn't have to do anything on that part unless ExxonMobil says otherwise. However if the set weren't a Porsche or McLaren-Mercedes license but just a generic Mobil1 race car set, then LEGO would need a license with ExxonMobil.

Here, right here, is a good point. I'm glad you said it.

And that is my point too - LEGO will go on putting Shell (and Mobil) stickers on their sets and promoting these companies to kids, but they can say that they have no relationship with Mobil and Shell if they are targetted by Greenpeace again.

The logos on the cars have nothing to do with Lego at all, said logos are just advertising to pay for the race team not branding of toys.

And that is my point too - LEGO will go on putting Shell (and Mobil) stickers on their sets and promoting these companies to kids, but they can say that they have no relationship with Mobil and Shell if they are targetted by Greenpeace again.

There's nothing Greenpeace can do about that then, which isn't a bad thing. In some cases it might even be something that McLaren-Mercedes or Porsche requires, if it's in those racing teams' contracts with said oil companies. If ExxonMobil or Shell had some rule in the contract saying "our logo has to be on all officially licensed merchandise for your racing team", then LEGO would be required to abide by that. This example is not necessarily true since I know none of the details of the licensing contracts, but it's just a hypothetical situation. I don't think that sets a bad example to what Greenpeace's campaign was about (which I never supported in the first place) since the sets aren't promoting any oil companies rather than the cars and their manufacturers.

Green Peace has complained about tons of different companies. No one should listen to anything they say. They make money by raising a ruckus over everything.

I'm really sick of hearing about Lego and Green Peace. I wish we could just ban every topic that mentions Green Peace.

If you think like that our world won't last long. Because of Greenpeace, Apple is now one the best companies in the world about the recycling of their products, solar power, efficient products, etc. They do a lot more than people just complaining about our world, drinking beer in front of the TV.

Some people should really think that humans don't own the Earth. Nature will always be the master and humans just poor little souls. We should learn to respect more Nature.

Edited by Back to the Brick

We should learn to respect Nature more.

Well I should know: Our country gets 200mph bullets most of the time to places that don't need it. We get searing heat from March to May, then monsoon rains from June to September, then the occasional supertyphoon. If I don't have enough respect, then God I pray to you give us Category 6 typhoons EVERY DAMN MONTH.

But there's that line between caring for the environment and being a vigilante. Somehow I'd rather tell more ordinary people that "we have to act if the big bosses can't", not only because it's easier, but it can convince such companies that they have to do something that can actually change the way we live, rather than blast such companies, because they'll just fight back.

I'd rather tell Corp, Inc : "We're cleaning and fixing the world and you can lend a hand. It's so easy and cost-effective, it might even change you!".

LEGO group should not be political. Bowing down to special interest groups and lobbyists whether its environmental issues or religion is political.

This is a kids toy. It's supposed to be about fun! They should leave the damn politics out of it.

Oh, cool. So, following your line of reasoning, you think TLG "will promote Mobil and Shell" by signing deals with makers that are partnered with oil companies, right?

That's still too far a dot to connect, though.

I mean, promoting Mobil? PROMOTING MOBIL?! Isn't that going too far?

So if TLG gets a license from Ford and/or Aston Martin and they make the GT40 and/or V8 Vantage GT3 in the Gulf livery, does it mean that they're promoting Gulf Oil? Maybe, but Gulf isn't big a company anymore, and about 90% of EB members see a car in Gulf livery as a legendary car.

It's not a stretch at all to say that LEGO is promoting a company (ANY company) by choosing to sell models with that company's logo on it. LEGO is not being forced to produce accurate race car models in actual livery, it is choosing to.

The stickers on the LEGO models serve exactly the same purpose as the stickers on the actual race cars: to promote those companies.