I am wondering if there should be a post dedicated to people who are building MOCs out there produced by others specifically dedicated towards part selection. Recently there was a thread that discussed buidling other's MOCs, like Sheepo's mustang (or other models) or Designer Hans' new crane.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105262

However, nothing to my knowledge exists specifically towards these models and the availability of parts selection.

Why I bring this up is because I am working on the Sheepo's mustang. i am modifying it a bit, but as I am building it I am stumbling upon some things I did not know were an issue. For example, we all know flexible axles are rare and $$$$ pricey, and I knew there would be other parts that likewise would be pricey (like the damper) but other things arose that were a surprise for me. Like connecters #3 in red. Hardly any in the US. Building one mustang in the US, without paying overseas shipping, would completely deplete the US storage of all connector #3's. To go overseas for the parts would cost over 100$ USD! Just for those parts. Price is one thing, and I know that good builders will pay the costs to have their models done just right, but my whole country doesn't have enough of these parts even for one Mustang!! - alas, this would have been nice to know b/f i began the model. Yes, I can substitute for another color, but not at this point in the game. I have already built and bought pretty much everything else for the build.

Not that this has to be that post.... it would be useful to have one for each and every major MOC that is in production. Starting one for Sheepo's mustang or other models might be a good idea. It looks like many are thinking about building Designer Han's new crane... so a post on that one would be helpful as well. Again, just discussing the build in terms of element selection and availability. Many parts are exchangeable in terms of colors. What colors are changeable and what are not? Does the builder want all functions? For the build I am doing, I don't care for the lego elements that power Sheepo's Mustang. I am powering it with something else. I don't care for the braking system (if my intent is to make it go fast, brakes just add more friction and slow it down) or the two L motors that power it. Therefore... I can do away with all those elements. These are all things people need to consider as they build others' work. Discussing them would be helpful.

When checking the parts inventory of a MOC on Rebrickable, pay close attention to parts that are listed as 'rare color'. These are often expensive.

Though, keep in mind, that if a part is used in VERY popular MOCs, it may turn out to be rare (and therefore often expensive) even though it appears in quite a few sets (and hence does not have the 'rare color' tag). The #3 connector in red is a good example of this.

Edited by jantjeuh

When checking the parts inventory of a MOC on Rebrickable, pay close attention to parts that are listed as 'rare color'. These are often expensive.

This is exactly what I do for a first check. Many projects have unfortunately stopped already there, for example Sheepo's Mustang. For the Mustang I am considering replacing the most rare parts with another colour. It will not look as good of course, but sometimes the building process and functions are more important than the looks. And I really want to build that Mustang! And I really want to play with that gear box! Should I let some soft axles and connectors stop me from that?

Edited by Askan

I honestly thought everyone in the Technic community knew that #3 red connectors were rare. Same with 19L black flex axles and #4 LBG connectors, etc.

I honestly thought everyone in the Technic community knew that #3 red connectors were rare. Same with 19L black flex axles and #4 LBG connectors, etc.

You mentioned these

32016.gif32192.gif32235.gif

But there is also the #4 yellow connector 32192.gif which showed up only once, in the Power Puller

Edited by DrJB

I knew they were rare.... but com'on. <20 in the US??? at least on BL? That is incredible. Also, even if you do brickshelf it.... issues are bound to arise as you build the model that never were anticipated. Thus the query for the posts.

Also, it is important to distinguish rare from expensive. Related yes but not synonymous. many are writing as if they are. EX: linear actuators are expensive, but there are many. Also, a piece that is extremely rare is not automatically expensive. If there are few #3 connectors, but they are hot pink, no one may want them. Therefore, it would be relatively inexpensive. Of the two I am more concerned with availability than price

It can be very difficult to predict rarity in advance. The problem is that the entire worldwide availability of Technic parts isn't all that big, so it only takes one popular model to change the balance. For example, #3 red connectors were actually common and cheap prior to Sheepo's Mustang. The popularity of his model actually caused the shortage. So even if the builder tries hard to avoid rare parts, a popular model can still create new scarcity. The only way to avoid this is to use only parts that are currently available in sets on the shelves, because then parts are always available directly from LEGO.

Talking about parts availability from Lego: Have you seen the price of the pneumatic tubing for the 8110? The longest is around $55!!!

The only way to avoid this is to use only parts that are currently available in sets on the shelves, because then parts are always available directly from LEGO.

...or maybe the other way round: TLG should use those rare parts more often into the newer sets so they will be available in bigger quantity for honest prices!

The motto is "the limit it's up to our creativity"...where in reality the limit it's up to the prices on BL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by TheItalianBrick

...or maybe the other way round: TLG should use those rare parts more often into the newer sets so they will be available in bigger quantity for honest prices!

That would be nice, but honestly LEGO doesn't care about the secondary market. There is nothing in it for them. They aren't going to spend money bringing a part back just to make it more available to adult builders. I think they are aware of us and they do their best to work in the parts we need when they already have a case for using them. For example the 6L thin yellow liftarm has made a reappearance after many years.

Talking about parts availability from Lego: Have you seen the price of the pneumatic tubing for the 8110? The longest is around $55!!!

You'd be a fool to buy pneumatic tubing from LEGO :wink:

That would be nice, but honestly LEGO doesn't care about the secondary market. There is nothing in it for them. They aren't going to spend money bringing a part back just to make it more available to adult builders. I think they are aware of us and they do their best to work in the parts we need when they already have a case for using them. For example the 6L thin yellow liftarm has made a reappearance after many years.

So the next question is: why did they stop using the #3 red connector?? They could have used it more times.....and nowadays we would have had such a problem! :wub: :wub: Again...to bring back a part it may be expensive, but to keep it on the market since it was created for sure it's cheaper!!

Edited by TheItalianBrick

So the next question is: why did they stop using the #3 red connector?? They could have used it more times.....and nowadays we would have had such a problem!

I'm sure it will be back. When they make a part, they make a LOT of them. Then they use them until they are gone and they won't make more unless there is a good business reason to do so. In many cases, they can get by with another color that is already in stock which saves them the cost of putting another color back into production. It's all just business. As soon as a Star Wars or Bionicle set needs it, they'll start making it again. Then some Bricklink store owner will buy 10,000 of them and the market will be covered for a while. This is what happened with the Ferrari spoked wheel cover. It was out of production and cost a fortune, then it showed up as a tail rotor in a helicopter and prices plummeted. Now it is scarce again.

I'm sure it will be back. When they make a part, they make a LOT of them. Then they use them until they are gone and they won't make more unless there is a good business reason to do so. In many cases, they can get by with another color that is already in stock which saves them the cost of putting another color back into production. It's all just business. As soon as a Star Wars or Bionicle set needs it, they'll start making it again. Then some Bricklink store owner will buy 10,000 of them and the market will be covered for a while. This is what happened with the Ferrari spoked wheel cover. It was out of production and cost a fortune, then it showed up as a tail rotor in a helicopter and prices plummeted. Now it is scarce again.

we hope they start to use pneumatics in Star Wars theme LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I think you could use these? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=44

I built the mustang in red exactly as instructed. Using those connectors in place of the #3's may not work. You would be suprised at how sheepo got the angles he did and how extremely rigid the body is. Those connectors would make it very loose, however may work...

I would like to know how a seller in the U.S. recently acquired 200 new #3 red connectors.

Apparently there are buyers with deep pockets. He sold 6 already.

Apparently there are buyers with deep pockets. He sold 6 already.

6 in the course of 2 months it looks like.

6 in the course of 2 months it looks like.

Investment (and speculation) are a risky business, what if in few weeks, TLG releases new sets with such connector?

Investment (and speculation) are a risky business, what if in few weeks, TLG releases new sets with such connector?

Should you actually want to roll the dice on doing this there is a very small window of time where you can actually be profitable. Case in point...you can see that the 9 beam in Orange is on the new arcos, you could easily sell any you have now for 9 dollars each and then get them back when it comes out. I thought about doing this to a friend recently but decided better of it since timing is the only reason I could have made 8.60 per part. I was one of those people that paid 10 dollars for the crawler wheels in black before they came back with the crawler all because I couldn't wait (HAN's 6x6 was to blame).

Other than that...its complete speculation. I would have assumed the black axle/friction pins would have kept going up just like the black bush. But before you know it some seller in germany has 6000 of them and the sales market is gone. I don't know how...but I swear they just have access to the molds and the ABS to just make these parts when they wish.

I would like to know how a seller in the U.S. recently acquired 200 new #3 red connectors.

What is funny is that these were posted on BL immediately AFTER my post. This indivdual is likely on the forum, saw my original post and put them on BL hoping I would bite. I have not; I am not the one who bought the 6 on BL. But I do think it is funny. We have a seller amongst us just waiting to pick our pockets!!

They have a pretty good feedback rating, so it is probably legit. I as with others are interested how they accumulated so many. Reveal yourself and your secret!!!

What is funny is that these were posted on BL immediately AFTER my post. This indivdual is likely on the forum, saw my original post and put them on BL hoping I would bite. I have not; I am not the one who bought the 6 on BL. But I do think it is funny. We have a seller amongst us just waiting to pick our pockets!!

They have a pretty good feedback rating, so it is probably legit. I as with others are interested how they accumulated so many. Reveal yourself and your secret!!!

...maybe is you!!! LOL

Case in point...you can see that the 9 beam in Orange is on the new arcos, y

Where do you see orange on the Arcos?