Dutch Police Eurocopter EC135 helicopter

12 replies to this topic

#1 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Member: 309

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Posted Image V-A-2A

As usual, I have no idea where to put this. Model Team? Creator? City? Who knows?

I built this model for an article for LEGO's Master Builder Academy Issue 4. By now it has been out for a while, so I can finally publish my pictures.

For years the Dutch Police used the classic Bo-105, but by the turn of the century those were getting a bit long in the tooth. In 2001, eight MD902 Explorers were ordered as replacements, but MD helicopters had difficulties meeting the requirements on time. With all the stipulated equipment, the helicopters were overweight and had to be recertified, which took longer than intended. The contract was cancelled in 2005 and six EC135s and two AW139s were bought instead and all delivered in 2009. They are based at Schiphol Amsterdam airport and at two other fields (Teuge and Volkel).
Posted Image
Dutch Police EC135 (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The EC135 has been a great success for Eurocopter, with helicopters having been sold for Police and Air Ambulance roles all over the world.  
Posted Image
Dutch Police EC135 (3) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The first version of the helicopter had a fenestron/ fantail similar to the design I used on my HH-65 Dolphin. However, I remembered that I had a few propellers lying in my drawer of 'parts that don't fit in any meaningful other category' and I figured that it would fit. It doesn't turn very well, but looks far better.
Posted Image
Dutch Police EC135 (5) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The big challenge when building this helicopter was the cockpit section, with the glass nose and doors. The EC135s have an extensive equipment fit for the law-enforcement role, with a cockpit interior that is compatible with night-vision goggles, weather radar, a PA system, cable-cutters, a dedicated workstation for an observer -including a 20 inch computer monitor, an IR turret, night-sun searchlight and a real-time video down-link facility to share images with police on the ground.

Posted Image
Dutch Police EC135 (4) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I hope the members of Eurobricks like it and would like to wish you all a happy 2012.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#2 Dakar A

Dakar A

• I've been outing Scum for OURS!

Member: 21891

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

I love it Ralph! Per usual, I can't find any faults, so let me be the first (on this forum) to congratulate you on a perfect build!
Brick on,
Dakar

Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Top-notch Town Builder ! Played as Puss in Boots in Sandy's Mafia School: A Bed Time Story. Played as Ensign Jack Campbell , security in Bob's Excalibur Mafia. I My Flickr I Brick Town Talk! I Bricks in Space! I

#3 BlueBard

BlueBard

Member: 2796

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Magnificent as usual, sir  :thumbup:

#4 eliminator

eliminator

Member: 21038

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

incredible work as per usual

#5 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Work of a brick-building genius......and it looks minifig scale so I guess it can stay here.....moderators might think otherwise though ? :laugh:
Totally AWESOME work again from you 'Ralph_S'.......Brick On Fly On ! :classic:

#6 Hiawatha

Hiawatha

Member: 20480

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

Great build! It is incredible. :thumbup:

Posted Image Posted Image

My Brickshelf

View Postefullner, on 06 October 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can figure what Dey will say when he meets with Hiawatha.

Hiya, Watha!

#7 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Thanks guys. When I was asked to write something for the magazine, they specifically asked for non-military models. Most of my helicopters are military, however, and I felt that the two non-military models I had didn't really show what's possible. I spent a long time thinking about what I was going to build. When I finally decided to build this, I wasn't at all sure whether I was going to be able to pull it off. Many of my builds go off without a hitch. I start building and pretty much go from start to finish in one go, without having to go back and make changes to the bits that I've already built. This wasn't one of those. The nose cam together quite quickly, but the aft part of the fuselage underwent a few rebuilds.

It's hardly minifig scale. In fact, it's about twice as large as I would consider appropriate for minifigs. I'm not quite sure whether LEGO Town is explicitly for minifig scale stuff though, but I'm pretty sure that the participants in the town forum are most likely to appreciate the model.

Cheers,
Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S, 01 January 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#8 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

Again, great build Ralph! Even more impressive, because it has an interior!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#9 _bIG_fM_

_bIG_fM_

Member: 17664

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:33 AM

Awesome.
Your huge amount of details is always impressive. And the Fenestron is looking Great!

Felipe

Edited by Phred, 03 January 2012 - 10:34 PM.
Deleted the three duplicate posts.

#10 LEGO Guy Bri

LEGO Guy Bri

Member: 13958

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Another fantastically detailed build 'Ralph_S'! Your work never ceases to amaze me  Posted Image
-I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't you tell me how to do what you told me to do... I know when to use finesse

#11 dr_spock

dr_spock

• Ex-News Scout scouting for new themes

Member: 8775

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

Awesome build.   :thumbup:

#12 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Thanks everyone. Obviously the larger scale helps with the details and the interior. I couldn't have done this in minifig scale.

Cheers,
Ralph

#13 Phred

Phred

• Kinda back

Member: 1037

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostRalph_S, on 01 January 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

It's hardly minifig scale. In fact, it's about twice as large as I would consider appropriate for minifigs. I'm not quite sure whether LEGO Town is explicitly for minifig scale stuff though, but I'm pretty sure that the participants in the town forum are most likely to appreciate the model.
I agree, which is why I have worked to index your models such as these. :thumbup:
There are also miniature models compared to MF's.  Until I am told otherwise, I'll continue to index these great MOCs.

View Post_bIG_fM_, on 02 January 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

Awesome.
Your huge amount of details is always impressive. And the Fenestron is looking Great!

Felipe
I had deleted your three duplicate posts.  Do not post the same thing four times in a row!
Thank you for your future cooperation.

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users