Superkalle

New brick - 2x2 tile inverted

There's a new 2x2 tile inverted brick on the horison.

It can be seen in this MOC by lego_nabii as well in one of the new Ninjago sets (picture originally from the FBTB flicker stream):

post-4755-133356319294.jpg

In the nabii pic you can also see what appears to be this, but inverted.

It can be seen in this MOC by lego_nabii as well in one of the new Ninjago sets (picture originally from the FBTB flicker stream):

The 2 x 2 tiles in the MOC look like regular 2 x 2 tiles on new brackets. I'm not too sure about the picture you posted. They certainly look 'attached' to the underside of the red modified 1 x 2 plate. But it could also be that they're only attached to the other two studs.

Ehrrr...found myself (when I knew what to search for) that Jopiek beat me to it...last month :blush::laugh:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65790&st=0&p=1196116&hl=lego_nabii&fromsearch=1entry1196116

EDIT: Never mind. I can see how that can be built...with normal 2x2s.

-Sci

I don't think it can actually. If you look at how the 1x2 plate with clip on side is positioned (with studs inwards).

Looks very useful. I hope it's real. :cry_happy:

Looks like it is indeed real. Just watch the following video review and go to 5 minutes and further into the video:

Looks like it is indeed real. Just watch the following video review and go to 5 minutes and further into the video:

Interesting. This is the first inverted Lego piece made yet, next to the circular one.

Edited by Rick
Please don't unnecessarily quote images/videos

I must say, I'm surprised that it did turn out to be real, especially in the position shown at five minutes in the video where I would have expected TLG to use a boat stud.

But I have no complaints. Awesome. :drool:

Am I the only one looking forward to seeing undersides of spaceships and other vehicles that are actually reasonable? I'm sure this won't change that too much at first (for financial reasons), but now there is at least one more way to make models look as good from below as they do from above and one less excuse to not do so. I have to say this is an impressive piece and I'm excited to see what the more creative builders out there can do with it.

Edited by fyrmedhatt

Wow, that's really cool! What with this, the 1x1 round tile, and various new bracket pieces, this is shaping up to be a good year for simple yet very useful new parts.

Even easier to go studless all over!

I imagine using this new flat bottomed tile would give a more secure connection than by using the old round boat stud. I hope we get 1x2 "undertiles" too for placing below single stud overhanging eaves etc. Would improve the photography of street scenes from ground view up.

Ohhhh, sweeeet :wub: :wub: :wub: . The Space Shuttle needs a lot of these. :sweet:

Actually, they tend to heat up and come loose on reentry. Sorry. :wink:

Also if you're going to keep the scale accurate, almost 3,000 of 2x2 tiles would make a rather large space shuttle.

:tongue:

Edited by Lego Otaku

Love the new piece! Hopefully it comes in other sets. I'd love to get this set without getting the Samurai Mech set. :thumbup:

Also if you're going to keep the scale accurate, almost 3,000 of 2x2 tiles would make a rather large space shuttle.

:tongue:

:laugh: All right, it looks like I won't be able to go into space using only Lego...

Anyways, speaking seriously, I hope that more of these inverted tiles appear, so you could cover something like the underside of a shuttle. :classic:

We have designer Mark Stafford to thank for this. I met him at AFOLCON last week and had the chance to play with Samurai Mech, and it's an awesome set all round. I asked him about new parts pushing up the model price but he didn't seem to think it was a huge problem; maybe new moulds are not as expensive as I always assumed. The more interesting point he made was that LEGO have a policy of only having a fixed number of parts in production; so if they start making a new one then an old one stops getting made. I think they have this policy because one of their many issues in the early 2000s was that they were making too many elements ('elements' = all pieces but also all the colours they come in. From memory I think it was 12,000 back then and now it is 7,000. I could be wrong about the figures, but it was definitely a little more than half of what they were making a decade ago.)

Mark seems to do many good things for us builders! - in the feet of Samurai Mech there are Dark Red train windows. He decided on the colour of this part by going to a fan site and checking what the most 'wanted' non-existing colour of that piece was! He also prints off lists of the most expensive of the more common parts on BrickLink and gives it to the other designers to include in their models, to get the price down for us builders, yay!

We have designer Mark Stafford to thank for this. I met him at AFOLCON last week and had the chance to play with Samurai Mech, and it's an awesome set all round. I asked him about new parts pushing up the model price but he didn't seem to think it was a huge problem; maybe new moulds are not as expensive as I always assumed.

I think this piece is going to be a very versatile piece which will eventually get into many sets, so if it was this particular piece he was referring to, that could be why.

We have designer Mark Stafford to thank for this. I met him at AFOLCON last week and had the chance to play with Samurai Mech, and it's an awesome set all round. I asked him about new parts pushing up the model price but he didn't seem to think it was a huge problem; maybe new moulds are not as expensive as I always assumed. The more interesting point he made was that LEGO have a policy of only having a fixed number of parts in production; so if they start making a new one then an old one stops getting made. I think they have this policy because one of their many issues in the early 2000s was that they were making too many elements ('elements' = all pieces but also all the colours they come in. From memory I think it was 12,000 back then and now it is 7,000. I could be wrong about the figures, but it was definitely a little more than half of what they were making a decade ago.)

Mark seems to do many good things for us builders! - in the feet of Samurai Mech there are Dark Red train windows. He decided on the colour of this part by going to a fan site and checking what the most 'wanted' non-existing colour of that piece was! He also prints off lists of the most expensive of the more common parts on BrickLink and gives it to the other designers to include in their models, to get the price down for us builders, yay!

Mark sounds like a god among men.

In all seriousness, we should really be grateful! New and cheaper elements can only be a good thing. I'm glad to see this new brick, and Dark Red train windows!

Edited by purpleparadox