Sign in to follow this  
gottabekd

Help needed - rebricked UCS Y-Wing: question about dyes/paint

Hey community, looking at rebricking the UCS Y-Wing that was released back in 2004.

the part in question is: 32077.png

to buy in the appropriate colour, is roughly $150 each (required in white).

I have these pieces in silver for a fraction of that price, what are my options to getting them white?

I'm most curious in the technique that will last the longest, look the most accurate, and fool almost everyone.

any feedback is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

KD

Hi KD,

I did mine with Satin White PlastiKote - looks good after a good base coat (grey) and about 3 layers of white. Any more and I figured it would start to fill up the connection + (but you could sacrifice a connector part I guess if it needed more coats).

The topic with the pics is at http://www.eurobrick...hl=y-wing&st=25 - at that point it had only the base coat and one of white, so is a little off as you can see in my pics, after the third coat was applied it looked pretty much spot on.

However, some drooping later, I decided to replace them with the wheel 2903 which looks good but is lighter (http://www.bricklink...={"color":"1"})

I used the same paints in White and Red on building the MOC A-Wing UCS, and that looks fine 15 months later - even after some of the parts where removed and put back on a couple of times post a few tweaks.

The main difference is the resultant texture, being slightly grainy on the red, less so on the white - but you could always try the KlearKote finish on top and see what that does.

Edited by Hold0511