Sign in to follow this  
___

[POVRAY] Continue aborted rendering?

I have seen on forums ppl are talking that even if POVRAY crashes your PC with BSOD you can actually continue your rendering from the exact point where it stopped using .pov-state file and some +C switch.

BUT the problem is: it is actually not explained anywhere, no simple steps like do this and than this, so is here anyone at all who actually knows how to do it, please? :sceptic::look:

You just need to open the aborted povray-file, add +c to the command line and restart rendering (run):

povray_commandline.png

You can also use this feature to stop a render pocess manually and continue later on.

Please note: When the render is finished, do not forget to remove +c

regards

papacharly

Edited by papacharly

You just need to open the aborted povray-file, add +c to the command line and restart rendering (run):

You can also use this feature to stop a render pocess manually and continue later on.

Please note: When the render is finished, do not forget to remove +c

regards

papacharly

GREAT - it works like a charm, thanx so much!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BUT I have one problem: as I am using LDD2POVRAY for rendering my .lxf files I need POVRAY to use its settings stored in .ini file cos else it is rendering wrong size and probably settings too, how to achieve that (it really seems like it continues where it crashed with BSOD but in wrong dimensions)? :wacko:

Edited by bublible

Please try to add Continue_Trace=on to your ini-file.

Sorry but that does not work... :cry_sad:

Anyway as now I know where to put switches in POVRAY I simply made switch equivalents for the .ini values and voila - it works now that way! :wink:

So thank you once again cos those permanent BSOD I was dealing with (Win7 64bit) drive me really pretty mad... :devil::angry:

Edited by bublible

Your'e welcome! I also started lots of renders twice or triply before I figured out using +c.

...and I am wondering why is this feature not known more or better, cos I guess there are tons of other users not knowing about this which are left to struggle with the crushing and perpetual rendering the same stuff hoping maybe in their 10th repetition (where every single one take like 10+ hours) they'll render it finally or stuff like that...so that said I hope this will help them a bit in their quest :classic:

Thanks fellows. I tried to get the pov-state file to work before, but was never able to. Didn't know about the +C thing. It will certainly make life easier. :classic:

Thanks fellows. I tried to get the pov-state file to work before, but was never able to. Didn't know about the +C thing. It will certainly make life easier. :classic:

Right...and there is even PARTIAL SCENE RENDERING option too, I am using it at the moment, great thing if you, for example, change brick or two after final render that took like 10+ hours, so you just set 4 point "bounding box" (actual scene area that has to be rendered) and voila there you go (so instead of rendering whole scene again for many many hours you just wait like 30 minutes for that small part and then you simply layer it upon the main scene picture in some good paint/photo editing SW) :wink:

Edited by bublible