Unknown Ninja

Question about LDD part positioning

I made Minecraft Steve in LDD and want to put the pickaxe in his hand. I remember when I used LDD in the past it was possible to freely adjust where a part is, even if colliding with something else like a thread on a tank or something like that.. I can't seem to remember how I did that. Can someone explain this to me? Would really appreciate it.

Minecraft Steve.lxf

Edited by Unknown Ninja

Dunno about the old days, but to do something like that now requires a scaffolding - a temporary construction of bricks for the "loose" parts to snap to. Depending on how complex the model is, this scaffolding might require hinges, clip + bar assemblies... whatever it takes to fine-tune things for LDDs strict (and sometimes unfair) collision detection.

Anyway, after some tweaking, I managed something. Bear in mind that the pickaxe isn't attached to anything, so you'll need to find a way (a scaffolding!) to make LDD treat it as a connected object if you want it to move along with his left arm.

That is awesome. Thanks! I found instructions for this model online and I want to adjust the pickaxe so it is the same on 2 sides and I can also make adjustments to the arm so it can hold the pickaxe. I will have some tinkering!

Thanks again!

The simplest way to get the arm and pickaxe into the position you want is to replace a few parts so that they do attach. Then you move them into position. Finally replace the attaching parts with the original parts.

Well, my technique for such task (one like that being done a while ago, now rendering and later today new a bit bigger MOC post will be available where I post my first space base with flying hoover around on which such technique was used) is made by building temporary brick construct consisting of {Technick "perfored" brick(s) + axle(s) + 2 or more 3937/3938 combis + 73603} - with this I am basically able move/slide/adjust any brick to any desired position and angle