brunojj1

[MOC] BMW M4 DTM 1:10 racecar with PF

BMW M4 DTM is a prototype racecar made by the automobile manufacturer BMW constructed for only use it the DTM championship since 2014. The M4 DTM supersedes the M3 DTM being used since 2012. The other 2 participating manucfacturers in the championship are Audi and Mercedes. The races are rarely to see on TV even in Germany. Often the only option is the official livestreaming of all events at www.sportschau.de.

26.jpg

Timo Glock finished 15th in this years season – winning only one race (Oschersleben).

27.jpg

I like the “racey” look of the M4 DTM, so I thought this yellow Deutsche Post Wagen would be somehow nice to recreate. I used to own a few BMW in my lifetime – E36 Coupé, E46 Coupé and E46 Touring. They all were sporty and nice looking cars, had reliable motors and were fun to drive (especially RWD in winter in the snow ;-).

21.jpg

19.jpg

002.jpg

009.jpg

Having thought about a BMW MOC about a long time now I decided to rip apart some boring construction machinery and build a new car in fresh tasty yellow! Motorize it as heavily as possible with 4 XL motors. The car is suspended as low as possible few mm above the track level and touches the ground if pushed down (like the real car does ;-). And it doesn´t contain any gearbox. Non-Lego-parts: the yellow pneumatic hoses (4mm) came really handy to create some round shapes. I bought some kilometers of it at ebay and enjoyed to experiment by cutting it at any required length. Beeing sturdy it causes some problems bending the rear fender a bit, but doesn´t disturb the look too much, even if the lighter shades of yellow are clearly visible.

Data:

lenght: 58 studs (46,5 cm) / 61,5 studs (49 cm) with rear spoiler

width: rear 25 studs (19,5 cm); front 25 studs (19,5 cm)

height: 15 studs (11,7 cm)

parts: 1.900 – 2.000

weight: 2,2 kg

drivetrain: 4 x XL motors & 2 receivers & 2 rechargeable batteries

gear reduction: 3:1/1:1/20:12/20:28 = 3.572:1 (according to sariel´s gear ratio calculator)

steering: 1 x servo motor coupled to working steering wheel & 1 receiver and battery, Ackermann geometry

other features: rollcage, independent wheel suspension, LED lights (2 pairs in th front, 1 pair in the rear)

001.jpg

003.jpg

07.jpg

PDF building instructions here.

Edited by brunojj1

Looking at the actual photos of the car, the wheel arch extensions are quite thin. Scaled down this would be near impossible with Lego. The use of the pneumatic hoses was a good choice. You have also captured the curves of the car very well. I like the use of the cheese slopes on the roof.

@brunojj1:

OMG !!!

What is that???!!! Really cool and amazing! I like it very much... I must say I was I little bit boring from MOCs of supercars of other builders but this is something new and fresh! I like that you have chosen BMW a more common car as other supercars although this special DTM version is not to see every day.

I like how you designed the car, I like the lowering shape of the cabin to he rear, sporty rear bumber, rear light, headlights, air intakes... everything perfect! I would build it immediately... in the same color... OMG no... my yellow crane parts go to this beast maybe... :D

It is 1:8 right? To big for me but nice...

Can you post the detailed photos of headlights? Very cool...

And you know that you are making history... because this car is epic and will be written to Lego Top MOC models! Hall of Fame !!!

Thank you for sharing! I could not give my eyes away from your pictures... I look at them and discover new and new shapes... Stunning for me... :) Great job!

Awaiting video !!!

Max... :*

EDIT:

I have just found your brickshelf folder with more pictures:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=559993

And your La Ferrari is also stunning !

Edited by MaxSupercars

I am recommending this for HOF. I saw this first on brickshelf and was amazed. And four XL motors to drive it??? I don't think we have seen ANY of the more popular supercars, from crowkillers to sheepo with this type of power. Adding a video would be great......

very very well done....

O my...., this is something else!

The yellow black color scheme works like a charm and you've captured the lines really well.

No need to ask for HoF, this will surely be added!

I've always considered that brute force + flawless design = supercar. Awesome work Bruno, I am really anxious to see the LDD for this beast. Video please :)

Looking excellent and I'm impressed how much stuff you've somehow managed to fit in there (you could compete with hamsters ;) ). I think you could consider adding stickers printed on a transparent sticker foil, would look great on yellow. Any chance for a video?

Very cool!

You've captured the shape very well.

I think it may look even better if you replace some yellow beams with black ones which can be looked as replacement of stickers.

And count me in the video askers! :grin:

Thank you guys very much for your attention and kind comments!

my yellow crane parts go to this beast maybe... :D

It is 1:8 right? To big for me but nice...

Can you post the detailed photos of headlights?

You can turn your yellow parts into a crane whenever you want :wink: . I didn´t say anything about building instructions, but hopefully somebody will be able to rebuild it out of the LDD which I am still working on. There are some limitations as missing parts, flex axles and the stupid instructions mode.

I will post better and detailed pictures of the headlights tomorrow.

And four XL motors to drive it??? I don't think we have seen ANY of the more popular supercars, from crowkillers to sheepo with this type of power.

Using 4 XL motors with 2 x V2 receivers + 2 rechargeable batteries gets you to some limits. The PTC termistance at the batteries engages frome time to time being not able to handle the required torque at the current gear reduction mentionned above. The solution to this is simple: change the easily accessible gears behind the rear axle from 20/12 to 16:16 which unfortunately results in lower speed but then everything runs smoothly. Using 4 instead of 2 XL doesn´t provide so much advanced speed, but interesting to try though.

No need to ask for HoF, this will surely be added!

Thank you, Jim!

Looking excellent and I'm impressed how much stuff you've somehow managed to fit in there (you could compete with hamsters ;) ). I think you could consider adding stickers printed on a transparent sticker foil, would look great on yellow. Any chance for a video?

Enough space on the driver´s seat for at least one hamster :laugh: . I considered the idea with the stickers and ordered the foil. Hopefully it´s worth the effort. Same for the video.

Wow! What a beauty. Great lines, smooth curves, very well capturing the look of the real thing.

Does the 4 XL setup deliver what you wanted? Even if it doesn't break speed records, does it feel fast?

One minor detail: did you try to use yellow beams above the front lights? With the black beams it gave me Angry Birds vibes...

working for BMW for about 1 year now I wanted something in Lego to put on my office table. Currently planning on the headquarter (the building called "4cylinder", which was nicely made by 2 different people I think)

But a car in lego technic would be a lot cooler. But lacking the exterior design skills myself I was hopeing for someone someday.

now THIS comes. I eagerly await your LDD file and will definately rebuild it (maybe less motorized) but it looks amazing.

Very good job. the front of a BMW is hard to capture cause of the "doppelniere" but you did it very very well.

This just made it on the top of my "next lego project" list as soon as you get the LDD file out.

I even own 4 of the rim covers which were planned to go on the ferrari 458 whenever I get to build it)

Edited by Lighti

Really amazing! The shapes and the colors are al,spot on!

Seeing it so close to the ground I cant help but wonder if it has suspension?

How do the doors work?

A video would be nice :wink:

Wow! :wub: Definitely HOF material! I like that you did not use the standard red color scheme, I think it would not look as good in yellow.

the pneumatic hoses are really nice in making curves.

The front of the car looks really menacing and like the real car

Good job!

Clean, beautiful, magic! The stickers and video will definitely be worth the effort!

Edited by SevenStuds

Looks super smooth, the scaling is really spot on! :thumbup: Easily on par with Lipko's RS4 RS5 DTM! Now we only need a Mercedes as well! :classic:

Edited by D3K

Awesome build!

I skipped the specs and went for the pics first, was like "man, itll be slow with that much body work", then i saw the underside with 4 XL motors :P

I am drooling. Everything about this model is flawless, the lines, the color, and especially those front lights! Great job capturing all those lines. I would love to see some dramatic night pictures with the front lights on.

Tim