Milan

[TC8] Technic Crane Contest - Information Topic

21145645402_be776459ef_b.jpg

TECHNIC CRANE CONTEST

Cranes and LEGO Technic, a match made in heaven. Recently LEGO has released a brand new Mobile Crane, so we are wondering; can you do better. Are you ready to take your skills to a higher level?! (this pun...really?!)

DESCRIPTION

Build a Technic Crane! Each entry has to be crane, and main purpose of the crane/vehicle/MOC should be hoisting/lifting. The entry must be a crane and not contain a crane.

• A truck with a bed/fifth wheel and crane arm on the back/behind the cab is not a crane, it contains a crane and truck serves other functions (not allowed).
  • A truck with just a big crane at the back is allowed, since its main function is to lift/hoist and not to transport/pull (allowed)
  • A harbor crane is a crane (allowed).
  • A tower crane is a crane (allowed).

A GUEST HOST

Since I (Jim) will be away for a couple of weeks (don't screw around, I will find out :laugh:) I have asked Milan to host this contest. I have been contemplating a Crane contest in the past and he came up with the idea too, so this was an easy choice for us. I will be online every now and then, but Milan will be hosting this contest. I will arrange the voting and calculate scores as usual, but if you have any questions regarding the rules, Milan is in charge. He has been answering your questions in the past, so he knows what a contest is all about.

Disclaimer: He said yes to my request on one condition: he will still be able to participate in the contest. I agreed. If you think this is not fair, remember that contests are for fun.

DEADLINE

The allotted time for this contest is around 7 weeks. This means you can build up to the 1st of November.

Deadline date is November 1th, 2015. Contest will be closed on Monday the 2nd OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS

The following section describes the contest specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Each crane needs to be some sort of actual type crane, but it doesn't need to be a copy of an existing one,
  • Each crane needs to have a name or represent a brand, make, model. If you are not building a crane after a real one, make up the name, too.
  • No fantasy cranes, like under water or space cranes
  • The main purpose of the crane needs to be hoisting/lifting (a truck like 8258 is NOT allowed)
  • WIP topics may be created 2 weeks after the beginning of the contest
  • WIP topics should have actual plan or progress presented, and should not be used as a "Idea reservation"
  • Pneumatics are permitted
  • LEDs are permitted
  • 3rd party strings, hoses and rubber bands are permitted
  • Electronics (PF elements, SBricks and Mindstorms) are permitted but not mandatory
  • No size limit
  • No part count limit

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members who joined EB after the start of the contest can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Staff members are not eligible for winning prizes.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?

All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC8].

ENTRY POST

The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name
  • Short summary of the functions.
  • One or more images
  • Video (mandatory)
  • Link to the discussion topic

PRIZES

At this time we are not sure whether there will be prizes. You will find out at some point if there are prizes, or not. Top-3 winners will obviously deserve the medal and attention. If the contest winner is willing to drive to a location in The Netherlands, I can probably arrange for a tour on an actual Liebherr tower crane (see contest image) :wink:

Edited by Jim

Wow, seems like a nice contest :wink:

Good luck hosting it Milan :thumbup:

Ooo, sounds interesting! I'm pretty bummed I didn't wait to unveil my Tow/Recovery/Crane truck till this contest was posted! :laugh:

Oh well, back to the drawing board :classic:

Ooo, sounds interesting! I'm pretty bummed I didn't wait to unveil my Tow/Recovery/Crane truck till this contest was posted! :laugh:

The recovery truck would not have made it to the contest. The main purpose of a recovery vehicle is to recover vehicles, not to hoist cargo.

Each entry has to be crane, and main purpose of the crane/vehicle/MOC should be hoisting/lifting. The entry must be a crane and not contain a crane.

Wait...what am I doing?! Milan is the host, so I will shut up now :laugh::wink:

So the semi truck with the the crane trailer is legal? Because the crane is not on the truck. Btw the crane is similar to 42009 in size so it is not like 8258

Wow, seems like a nice contest :wink:

Good luck hosting it Milan :thumbup:

Thanks. WIll give my best! :classic:

Oh well, back to the drawing board :classic:

As Jim said, tow truck is not allowed, but I cant wait to see what will be on that drawing board! Hopefully something in class of your latest Truck :classic:

So the semi truck with the the crane trailer is legal? Because the crane is not on the truck. Btw the crane is similar to 42009 in size so it is not like 8258

YES if the trailer has a hoisting as a main function!

Like this:

0_dca5220147.jpg

The trailer can't be used for other purposes (like transport loads or cargo).

Interesting - I have just started to build a static tower crane.

Great fit!

Looking cool but I dont have any crane parts :cry_sad: Maybe I can build a liebherr crane in white..... The only color panels I have an abundance of.

$(KGrHqQOKosFJpf1JuMnBSdpfwnZsw~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F Maybe something like this with distribution gearbox......

Interesting - I have just started to build a static tower crane.

Please continue and enter the contest. I would love to see a great tower crane.

Looking cool but I dont have any crane parts :cry_sad: Maybe I can build a liebherr crane in white..... The only color panels I have an abundance of.

Maybe something like this with distribution gearbox......

Sure! White would be cool! And you cant go wrong with Liebherr :)

Also, please note that the model does not have to be motorized, if that is the reason you are talking about gearbox.

The recovery truck would not have made it to the contest. The main purpose of a recovery vehicle is to recover vehicles, not to hoist cargo.

Each entry has to be crane, and main purpose of the crane/vehicle/MOC should be hoisting/lifting. The entry must be a crane and not contain a crane.

Wait...what am I doing?! Milan is the host, so I will shut up now :laugh::wink:

Hmm, maybe I should have named it "Crane truck with recovery features" instead then :laugh: Anyway, good to know, would have been an even worse shame to build something that turns out to not be eligible :thumbup:

As Jim said, tow truck is not allowed, but I cant wait to see what will be on that drawing board! Hopefully something in class of your latest Truck :classic:

Roger that :thumbup: Hope to make something good, that is not to dependent on the parts already in the tow truck, as I haven't finished the LDraw file yet :ugh:

• No fantasy cranes, like under water or space cranes

I seriously hate to be the one to start the whole "Well, is this allowed? Is that allowed? Can I do this? Or that?" discussion, but the way I see that formulation, is something like "build a type of crane that already exists or has existed."

Or am I putting too much into it? Can I for example make a small mobile crane on a chassis similar to a walking excavator? As far as I know, that doesn't really exist in real life, but in yellow with contemporary styling, I can see it as a feasible product?

Again, I am really sorry to ask this, but I read it pretty much as "No sci-fi crane", which I am absolutely fine with, but I'd hate to see all the entries being either mobile-, tower-, harbour-, or crawler cranes :classic:

Sure! White would be cool! And you cant go wrong with Liebherr :)

Also, please note that the model does not have to be motorized, if that is the reason you are talking about gearbox.

Yes you cant go wrong with white!

I know it doesn't need to be motorized, it's just more fun that way :wink:

I am thinking something like the gearbox in 8043

Edited by JJ2

I would like to submit my Giant Block Setting Crane based on the real crane that sat on the Tyne South Pier but not sure if I can as its been shown on this forum before.

Doug

I would like to submit my Giant Block Setting Crane based on the real crane that sat on the Tyne South Pier but not sure if I can as its been shown on this forum before.

I'm afraid that's not allowed. It's stated in the General Rules and Regulations.

Trying to see if i would be interested in this, would a helicopter expressly designed for lugging heavy loads be allowed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erickson_Air_Crane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-64_Skycrane

Im guessing a Chinook would be out of bounds as it also serves as a troop transporter

And as a really out-there entry, the NASA skycrane used to land curiosity on Mars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Science_Laboratory#Sky_crane

Sorry for makig stupid question but, ca I build a cargo terminal?(like the Sariel's monorail one )It's main purpose is to cargo - no?

Edited by LXF

Sorry for makig stupid question but, ca I build a cargo terminal?(like the Sariel's monorail one )It's main purpose is to cargo - no?

You can make a crane in a cargo terminal. As long as the crane is the star of the show.

Ah shoot, does this mean that my WIP of my MOC tower crane is not allowed as well?

http://www.eurobrick...54#entry2300316

I have been discussing this with Milan. Allowing al previous LDD created MOCs isn't entirely fair, but we feel a bit sorry for you. On the other hand; you can probably create something similar (without exactly copying) in real bricks.

Can I for example make a small mobile crane on a chassis similar to a walking excavator? As far as I know, that doesn't really exist in real life, but in yellow with contemporary styling, I can see it as a feasible product?

....but I'd hate to see all the entries being either mobile-, tower-, harbour-, or crawler cranes :classic:

You can make pretty much anything that does exist, that includes cranes that have adjustable suspension, so that they can kneel down or tilt up. But lets not steer too much into the unknown.

Try to keep it within the boundaries of existing models, there are quite a few different models to choose from. :classic:

Trying to see if i would be interested in this, would a helicopter expressly designed for lugging heavy loads be allowed?

Im guessing a Chinook would be out of bounds as it also serves as a troop transporter

And as a really out-there entry, the NASA skycrane used to land curiosity on Mars:

Regarding Helicopter cranes: The emphasis needs to be on the crane. The helicopter part is just too big and it is overwhelming the rather small and discrete crane section, so not allowed.

Regarding NASA skycrane: same as the above. The emphasis needs to be on the crane, so not allowed.

Edited by Milan

You can make pretty much anything that does exist, that includes cranes that have adjustable suspension, so that they can kneel down or tilt up. But lets not steer too much into the unknown.

Try to keep it within the boundaries of existing models, there are quite a few different models to choose from. :classic:

Agreed! Before we know it, the crane will just be a part of a six feet walker and people will react "Wow, that's a cool walker", while the emphasis should be on the crane part.

@D3K If you still feel like making something different, send us your idea and we (Milan) will judge your idea.