rupi

Pirate display in 2ndTomarLego

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 81c

Hi,

I wanted to show you some pictures of our LUG (0937) pirate display for the 2nd TomarLego in Tomar, Portugal. The event took place from 11 - 14 June, 2009, and we were visited by aprox. 22.000 people.

We had the idea of using some custom made water tanks with real water. We where very happy with the results. See for your self.

Apart from the sets that you will recognize (the ships), the MOCs in this display were made by: Lbaixinho, Evildead, Marcosbessa, Noro and me :pir-sweet:

p6110022.jpg

p6110025.jpg

p6120146.jpg

p6110026.jpg

Here is the BS folder one of many others you will see appearing soon all over BS.

Thank you for looking

Update: Blueblock has got photos of the display here and here onwards

Fabulous display. I love the variety of all the buildings and styles. The raised platforms etc. really add additional depth to the display. The sunken ship is really nice. I'll have to look at all the rest of the pictures when I have more time. Great job you all did in bring this display together.

I must say that I really enjoyed going through the folder :pir-wub: 22,000 people? Wow!

It's really nice to see an under-over water collaboration - were there any mishaps en-route to successful "floating"? :pir-grin:

The Spanish/Portuguese style buildings are lovely, as are the little touches like the black fantasy tentacle, birds and nest and jellyfish (chef's hat and seaweed?) :thumbup: The Fabuland boat works really well as a laden-down boat. Very reminiscent of a fish-smelling port.

Luis' fort and Ricardo's port (those are the two I recognise) fit in really well to the layout; I think I mentioned to Ricardo at the time that I had some concerns over the rocks on the front of his port, by I can see where he's coming from now :pir-blush:

And that windmill sure is spinning fast! :pir-laugh:

Overall a definite improvement on last year's - will we be seeing some custom ships next year, now the islands are MOCs?

(On another note, I just saw your un-entered Captain's Cabin Contest Entry, Marcos - I love the curved walls and overall atmosphere - it's a shame it was too big. I'm guessing you were trying to use the lamp and grills to get a stripy shadowed effect? I once tried it with a dungeon, but the bars had to be bricks to make any sort of impact on the lighting...)

We are all still a bit tired from such an intensive event. Many new MOCs were shown there. I'm sure in a few more days people will take time to photograph and present them.

(...)

(On another note, I just saw your un-entered Captain's Cabin Contest Entry, Marcos - I love the curved walls and overall atmosphere - it's a shame it was too big. I'm guessing you were trying to use the lamp and grills to get a stripy shadowed effect? I once tried it with a dungeon, but the bars had to be bricks to make any sort of impact on the lighting...)

Yes, I was trying to get some kind of striped shadow effect, but it didn't go very well! :pir_laugh2:

I have much to learn yet!

I loved to join this Pirates Display Crew! As soon as I can, I'll rebuild everything I took to TOMARLEGO and I'll share it here with you!

Thanks! :pir-blush:

Those are some great looking mocs, excellent idea with the water.

Any more pics/folders to view the mocs in greater detail?

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, ...THAT IS AWESOME :thumbup: You and your friends did a awesome job. Your forts are very realistic, your little windmill is great too. The best part is how you put the sets in real water.

This is a great use of water in a display, I'm gonna have to try that some time. I like the sunken ship the best.

I always wanted to try to put a lego ship in real water, but my mom didn't let me because it would be too hard to make everything dry again. So it's great to see what it really looks like :pir-classic: The city (and especially the buildings ofcourse) look also very great. It's only a bit strange that there is nothing under the surface of the city, but that's not such a big problem.

Thanks for the comments :pir-blush:

I always wanted to try to put a lego ship in real water, but my mom didn't let me because it would be too hard to make everything dry again. So it's great to see what it really looks like :pir-classic: The city (and especially the buildings ofcourse) look also very great. It's only a bit strange that there is nothing under the surface of the city, but that's not such a big problem.

What! you never took your lego ships to the bath with you?

Let me tell you... they don't float :pir_bawling:

About the buildings "floating" on the water, the ideal was to have brick (BURPs) to support them but that would take a huge amount of bricks. Maybe next year.

(...)

About the buildings "floating" on the water, the ideal was to have brick (BURPs) to support them but that would take a huge amount of bricks. Maybe next year.

Yeah.... next year....... who knows!? :pir_laugh2:

About the buildings "floating" on the water, the ideal was to have brick (BURPs) to support them but that would take a huge amount of bricks. Maybe next year

Ah, I understand about that, well, maybe you can make it less deep next time or make it so turble that you can't see all the way to the bottom so you only have to make the highest part of rocks below surface (but I don't know if that's possible) it doesn't really matter anyway ofcourse :pir-classic:

I like the concept, but it would be a heap better if you built the underwater rocks/sand etc. That way it wouldn't like like the islands are just floating.

I like the concept, but it would be a heap better if you built the underwater rocks/sand etc. That way it wouldn't like like the islands are just floating.

Yeps. Maybe next year.

This year we don't have all the parts necessary to build the bottom of the sea :pir-sceptic:

Hello Everybody!

Thanks for all the comments about our Pirate display!

It took us a lot of work, but we managed to put it together! :pir-blush:

I must say that I really enjoyed going through the folder :pir-wub: 22,000 people? Wow!

It's really nice to see an under-over water collaboration - were there any mishaps en-route to successful "floating"? :pir-grin:

The Spanish/Portuguese style buildings are lovely, as are the little touches like the black fantasy tentacle, birds and nest and jellyfish (chef's hat and seaweed?) :thumbup: The Fabuland boat works really well as a laden-down boat. Very reminiscent of a fish-smelling port.

Luis' fort and Ricardo's port (those are the two I recognise) fit in really well to the layout; I think I mentioned to Ricardo at the time that I had some concerns over the rocks on the front of his port, by I can see where he's coming from now :pir-blush:

And that windmill sure is spinning fast! :pir-laugh:

Overall a definite improvement on last year's - will we be seeing some custom ships next year, now the islands are MOCs?

Thanks Slyowl! Its wonderful to have your positive feedback. I really love your mocs... :pir-tongue:

Yeah, the windmill is spinning fast even after I made some adjustments... (It spinned even faster before :pir-cry_sad: )

I'll post these mocs as soon as it is possible for me... ok?!

Next year, we'll try to make the rocks until the bottom and we'll work the underwater scenes... and of course, we'll try to do our own moc-ships. :pir_laugh2:

Thanks again!

You can see more pictures here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=384635 (as soon as it's moderated)

Edited by evildead

What a fabulous idea! Displays in water = wow. I am wandering what else they will come-up with... :pir-classic: ~LW 8~

Edited by Lego_Warlord_8