Sign in to follow this  
Daedalus304

MOC: GWR 5700

Hello all! Today I'm proud to present to you my finally finished, finally photographed MOC of a GWR 5700 Pannier Tank Engine. I'm not much one for openers or words, so here's straight to the pictures!

Also: Please excuse the dust! :blush: It is hard for me to keep things from getting dusty in AZ.

img_0522s.jpg

A good deal of the time building this engine was spent trying to get the proportions and iconic shapes captured well, and I think this picture captures most of those. There are four steps on the face of the engine that I would like to point out, since I have had a very difficult time getting good photographs of them.

img_0524s.jpg

The cutout shape of the forward cab was one of the more important shapes of the engine to me, and I think I managed to pull it off. The big downside was of course having the windows placed slightly "wrong", but I can live with that. The "LRTS" stickers are from the 10194 Emerald Night, although I did have to trim the tops of them off with a scalpel. The black bits of tubing are pneumatic tubes, and the gold railing is just some gold aluminum wiring I picked up at the store. (The only non-LEGO element.) Unfortunately the wiring of the headlamps obscures the gap below the boiler, but the gap would be difficult to see and I decided that for general viewing the working lights would probably be more fun.

img_0525s.jpg

Because of the wheelbase, the front coupler isn't really all that functional. With a wider turn radius of course I could change that, but for now this is how it is. I have been considering buying an old-style magnetic coupler and builder a more accurate bumper, but I need to get more spending money before doing that. :laugh:

img_0527s.jpg

Love the PF system, although the cables out the rear make it a bit unsightly for photos. The longer cord is for the PF Train Motor and the shorter cord is the lights. When building the SNOT around the back I was at first concerned about the anti-studs being unsightly, but they ended up looking and being placed like the bolts on the back of the real engine. So hoorah for that!

img_0528s.jpg

There's quite a few studs in there that I would rather be smooth, but given the placement of the motor, and other key elements it just wasn't practical to eliminate them. The wire from the light elements took quite a bit to incorporate, and although I strongly wish they could be much better hidden the internals kind of forbid it. :hmpf: Those jerks!

img_0530s.jpgimg_0532s.jpg

I thought it would be sort of fun to show these two pictures side by side. I did manage to add some detail to the cab, but greebling (especially engine controls) isn't yet a strong suit. The door to the firebox does open, however there is nothing but bricks and support structure behind it.

A couple more deeplinked pictures:

img_0526s.jpgimg_0529s.jpg

Here is the gallery of larger pictures, with a couple more "fun" ones. (Once Moderated) Viola!!

The buffers and drive rods will probably go a bit of revision in the future (Probably during the construction of my next engine), but for now I'm happy enough with it to call it done. I do wish I could have added the bar running along the base of the wheels but I couldn't find anything that seemed like a workable solution.

Very soon I will update this post with the most recent LXF file for those interested.

Here's the LXF! Tah-dah!

LXF Notes - The purple parts are substitutes. The large group in the front of the engines is a replacement for the PF Train Motor, and the purple 2 x 2 x 1 brick between the rear wheels is for the lights. Both the motor and lights power cords go through the tunnel that comes out the rear bumper. :)

I hope you enjoy looking at my engine, and I hope all my rambling hasn't put anyone off! :laugh:

Edited by Daedalus304

What a awesome model! I love the use of the pneumatic tubes for the wire to thread through, which pipe is it on BL?

The cord threading is also quite amazing. Great work Daedalus304! :classic:

What a fantastic MOC. Very clever and refreshing build. Another design I might have to steal use for inspiration! 10/10 buddy... lovley.

Edited by johnny cogs

Great work, Daedalus304.

Instantly recognisable as a GWR 5700, that work you did eith the cutout on the cab is an important detail. Nice use of the golden wire, really rounds it off.

Very well done.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Agree. That wiring is the real icing on the cake - it's a very, very nice engine. Love the SNOTwork, too. Well done!

Excellent model, might have to build one of these myself for something I've had planned for quite a while.

Can't wait for the LXF files :thumbup:

Yep, that's one nice looking tank engine 'Daedalus304' and the wire trick just gives it the bling it needs ! :grin:

Brick On Daedalus304' ! :grin:

What a awesome model! I love the use of the pneumatic tubes for the wire to thread through, which pipe is it on BL?

The cord threading is also quite amazing. Great work Daedalus304! :classic:

Thanks! For the Pneumatic tube I just bought a length 11 tube I think, and trimmed it smaller. It was hard to be able to bring myself to modify a part in that manner... but I did it anyways! After that I just had to find a metal wire that fit through it.

What a fantastic MOC. Very clever and refreshing build. Another design I might have to steal use for inspiration! 10/10 buddy... lovley.

Glad you like it! It would certainly be interesting to me to see other versions of this engine, there are always so many neat ideas out there. :laugh:

Great work, Daedalus304.

Instantly recognisable as a GWR 5700, that work you did eith the cutout on the cab is an important detail. Nice use of the golden wire, really rounds it off.

Very well done.

:classic: :classic:

Agree. That wiring is the real icing on the cake - it's a very, very nice engine. Love the SNOTwork, too. Well done!

I'm glad to hear you think gold wire works so well! I wasn't too sure how well a non-lego element would be recieved, especially since it's so prominent. It took quite a bit of tweaking and tinkering to get it to a shape that I felt worked, and to be honest I'm glad I did. None of the other LEGO tubes or wires really seemed to work right, and this wire wasn't even three dollars!

Excellent model, might have to build one of these myself for something I've had planned for quite a while.

Can't wait for the LXF files :thumbup:

LXF file has been added! I'm curious to see what it is you have planned!

Yep, that's one nice looking tank engine 'Daedalus304' and the wire trick just gives it the bling it needs ! :grin:

Brick On Daedalus304' ! :grin:

Thanks LT! I'm definitely going to keep brickin', it's too fun to stop. :laugh:

Ah, a very characteristic 57xx- a wonderful MOC of a terrific pannier tank loco typical of the many built for use on God's Wonderful Railway (sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Great Western). I'm a native of the West Country which was one of their main stamping ground (not that I am old enough to have seen one in the wild- so to speak- I've only ever seen captive versions in museums or preserved lines). My first Hornby trainset featured such a loco so this type has particular appeal for me.

Lovely MOC- like the wirework and the efforts gone to conceal the motor/electrics.

Hey again. Sorry To boost this thread to the top again (not that it doesn't fully deserve it, mind!) but I am having no luck at all in trying to get the lxf to open... is any one else having the same problems, or is it just me being a turbo-dufus???

Excellent locomotive.

I recall "Bricktrix" built a similar engine, perhaps he has been a source of inspiration for you ?

Hey again. Sorry To boost this thread to the top again (not that it doesn't fully deserve it, mind!) but I am having no luck at all in trying to get the lxf to open... is any one else having the same problems, or is it just me being a turbo-dufus???

I downloaded the LXF from the link to check if perhaps something was wrong with it, but it opens and runs in LDD just fine for me. Perhaps Superkalle or one of the other Digital Designer geniuses could be of more help, perhaps something is wrong with your LDD?

Excellent locomotive.

I recall "Bricktrix" built a similar engine, perhaps he has been a source of inspiration for you ?

I can't say that he has, actually. I didn't see his 5700 until shortly after he posted his A4 Mallard in this very forum, and during the entire design process I specifically tried to avoid looking for other 5700 MOCs - part of the fun of designing is trying to find my own solution. I do believe I saw the steering wheel in the top of the palm trunk on another MOC a while back, but I don't remember where it was.

That said, Bricktrix's 5700 is a beautiful engine and I see he did find solutions to things that had me stumped. There's no doubt in my mind he's better at this than I! :laugh:

I understand I'm bringing this one back from the dead, but I love this engine! I'm recently back into Lego and trains, so I wanted to give building this a shot!

Thanks for LXF!

I understand I'm bringing this one back from the dead, but I love this engine! I'm recently back into Lego and trains, so I wanted to give building this a shot!

Thanks for LXF!

Hi Dwayne! I'm very glad you like it so much! I have made a few improvements and upgrades to this loco over the years, and I have also totally abandoned trying to power it with the train motor as that method is ridiculously weak and bad for the motor. Since it needed an extra car to hold the battery box and receiver anyways, this wasn't exactly a big loss as it's easy to move the motor over.

I've updated the original post with a new LXF file containing my most recent and up to date edition of the engine - it is better optimized to use less parts while being sturdier, without changing the proportions or shape whatsoever. I'll also give you the link Right Here, so you don't have to go digging through the original post to find it. This new design should be superior in every way.

Also, I also did GWR 1400 in London Transport red, built in the same scale. I don't think I've posted the LXF for that one, but if you are interested in building one to go with the 5700 then shoot me a PM when you hit 10 posts and I'll see if I can get an up to date LXF put together for you.

Hi Dwayne! I'm very glad you like it so much! I have made a few improvements and upgrades to this loco over the years, and I have also totally abandoned trying to power it with the train motor as that method is ridiculously weak and bad for the motor. Since it needed an extra car to hold the battery box and receiver anyways, this wasn't exactly a big loss as it's easy to move the motor over.

I've updated the original post with a new LXF file containing my most recent and up to date edition of the engine - it is better optimized to use less parts while being sturdier, without changing the proportions or shape whatsoever. I'll also give you the link Right Here, so you don't have to go digging through the original post to find it. This new design should be superior in every way.

Also, I also did GWR 1400 in London Transport red, built in the same scale. I don't think I've posted the LXF for that one, but if you are interested in building one to go with the 5700 then shoot me a PM when you hit 10 posts and I'll see if I can get an up to date LXF put together for you.

You are the man! I appreciate your response and your new link, I'm sure it is an even more awesome representation!

I saw the 5700, another awesome bit of work! I'm a sucker for anything GWR based so I will definitely be pming you!

Thanks again for being so agreeable! I'll be sure to tell people where I got the design for the 5700 and 1400 from! :)