The Lich Rises

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kayne

Kayne

Member: 23719

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

Galarud: I tell you, things are crazy these days...

Barkeep: Oh yeah, more so than before?
Posted Image
Galarud: Well, Lord Dextrus commissioned Saladus and the Nahtämatu to seek out the Water Crystal.  Not sure why, something about the High King needed it for unity.  Anyway, Saladus chose several of us to go with him to find this mythical crystal.  I was skeptical, I have to say.  I've heard the crystal stories since I was a kid, but I never dreamed that there was any truth to it!

Barkeep: Humph....children's stories often hold more truth than most would like to acknowledge.  That would make the world a scary place!

Galarud:  Yeah, well Saladus has always dealt in the shadows, so he says he already know where the crystal is.  I asked him why he hasn't gone after before, and all he said was that there was no money to be made by finding it until now!  So, we set out to the edge of the Great Escarpment and enter the Ruins of Mägi Linnus...another children's story, or so I thought.
Posted Image
Galarud: The mummies were crawling all over that place...
Barkeep:  Doesn't Saladus keep a pet mummy?
Galarud:  Yeah, though he treats him like a brother.  Praise to the Desert Lords that Saladus didn't bring him along this time...I think he knew it would be tough on him.  We battled through the mummies and deep under the desert.  It seemed that the dark tunnels stretched through eternity, and I felt the despair of that dank air more than I care to admit.

Posted Image

Finally, we reached the crystal chamber.  There was a sarcophogus before the crystal, and Saladus warned us that there was a legendary guardian that kept the crystal.  Most of us didn't care.  The way the eerie light in that cavern reflected in the crystal put most of us into a frenzy.  I can't explain it, but it wanted to be found....

Galarud: Next thing I know, this 'thing' rises from the stone.  Saladus called it an earth golem...I tell you, that was the first time I was ever happy to have that elven witch that Saladus keeps with us, than at that moment!  She pulled some sort of energy out of the earth and destroyed that golem.
Posted Image

Barkeep:  The elven magic draws from the desert.  They have powers that are spoken of only in the deep of night.

Galadus:  I can see why, that was eerie.  But it saved us all.  At that moment, as the Golem crashed to the floor it hit the sarcophogus and knocked it open.  The darkness that fell on that chamber was the darkness of eternity.  Then light slowly returned as out of the sarcophogus rose a pillar of flame and smoke.  In the center of it was a hideous creature.
Posted Image
Galarud:  It was a Lich lord....Saladus told me it was the spirit of Sonuja Al Katma.  He says he intensified the power of his own magic enough to thwart death.  

{Silence}

Barkeep: So...what happened?

Galadus: Umm...I'm not exactly sure...it all seems a bit fuzzy.

Barkeep:  You mean you turned tail and ran?

Galadus{blushing}: Well, anyone would have.  But not Saladus and that elven witch.  I'm not sure what happened in there, but they came out with the crystal.  

Barkeep:  What did he do with it?

Galadus:  I assume he gave it to Dextrus Flagg....but I think he may have struck some foul deal with that Lich.  There is a gleam in Saladus' eyes now that wasn't there before...

FYI....the picture I posted of the Ruins entrance is from a free build from a couple of months ago and should not be considered for the challenge.  It is only in here for context!

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Ahken-Kaliphlin
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpagesMy Flickrhttp://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)

#2 Hyler Talliwell

Hyler Talliwell

• Master Sculpturer

Member: 25152

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

Very nice! I like how he ran away and how Dobbie is in the top of the tomb/dungeon.

#3 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Member: 26273

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

Nice! I'm glad you were able to salvage your MOC...

Come explore the lands of the Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Angeli

Angeli

• Drow Master Builder

Member: 14156

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

Baldur's Gate II, in it's hart and soul ;)
Great job ;) good luck :)

#5 Basiliscus

Basiliscus

Member: 890

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

Lovely work. The story is excellent. Your dialogue is very believable!

A shame that you had to salvage it - even then it's still excellent!

This will get Kaliphlin Guild some great points. Good job!

Wahil Musca, slaver and entrepreneur of Kaliphlin, ambassador to the Emir of Gorr

Latest MOCs
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image

Flickr

#6 Erynlasgalen

Erynlasgalen

Member: 14491

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:38 AM

Neat Earth Golem, I would love to have an army of them.

I am so drawn to the back corner of the treasure room, its so simple, yet so perfect.

We Kaliphlin never turn and run from a battle, that's nonsense, you were clearly just protecting the exit route to make sure nothing was sneaking up on you! :wink:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Currently portraying Amelia Phantomhive in the Kingdom of Kaliphlin.

#7 Gabe

Gabe

• Griffin Master

Member: 12135

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

Nice work Kayne! I like the perspective that you told you story from, it's makes for a good read. :classic: Your chamber has some great elements and the shot of the elvern mage taking down the golem is a winner! :thumbup: I also like your small bar moc, there are some great details there (like the chairs). Best of luck with the voting!  :classic:
Erudhalion Sansael, Admiral of the Kaliphlin fleet. Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#8 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

I love a good drunken pub story :thumbup: One for the ages no doubt. The interior build is nicely constructed and I must have missed your exterior free build as well which is a nice touch. I see Dobby dropping in as well.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

#9 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

One of the best stories yet  :laugh:  Nice work on the corner of the cave and the earth golem  :thumbup:
This challenge has so many great entries  :classic:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentleman, Farmer, and Protector in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#10 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Great story accompanied with nice mocs! I also really like your golem :thumbup:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#11 NiceMarmot

NiceMarmot

• Constellation Encyclopedia

Member: 14945

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

Kayne, lot to like here; great job on this one!  I really like the idea of it being told as a story in a pub. BTW the pub is great -- nice arches, and interesting chair backs.  The Ruin looks great, better than I remember from the free build... The various wall treatments in the chamber are very nice; I'm jealous of all your shields. Nice golem and Lich. Between us we've got the golems covered!  Can we expect the Lich to return in future MOCs?
Tafik Regex Marmota, Kaliphlin Guild, Master Cartographer

#12 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Wow! Love all these great entries and this one is certainly no exception!

That free build is just insane! What a huge moc with lots of details!! But my favourite part has to be the tomb and the grave! That golem is one tough guardian but no match for some Kaliphin magic! :tongue:

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#13 Rogue Angel

Rogue Angel

• No Longer Suffering From Male Pattern Baldness

Member: 4711

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

Nice Entry!  The bar is well done, with nice little details, and a lot of character.  I agree that the free-build is great!  The ruined look is accomplished well without making it look run down.  I will have to take a look at the free-build page to get a closer look.  I really like the way you portrayed the rocks sticking out from the wall in your final scene - it works really well.  Like others, I like the way you tell the tale through a bar patron.

Well done!

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostHyler Talliwell, on 13 May 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Very nice! I like how he ran away and how Dobbie is in the top of the tomb/dungeon.

hhaha I was going to say the same thing  :laugh:

I really liked your interiors! both the bar and the crystal chamber.
The perl gold and the shields really work for me. Actually that whole light bley strip looks fantastic. So simple, subtle, but really effective. I'll have to remember it  :blush:

Also - "Galadus: Umm...I'm not exactly sure...it all seems a bit fuzzy."
:rofl:
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#15 robuko

robuko

• Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin

Member: 4643

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Great salvage job Kayne!  Lots to like in this series, the story is really good, it has that quiet Wednesday afternoon in the tavern feel.  I particularly like the walls in the chamber, the smooth rocky feel is very appealing, and the decorative strip looks really good.  Special award for best use of Dobby!  Another startlingly brilliant entry from Kaliphlin!
:classic:
Duc LeStrange, Special Envoy of the Petraea General Trading Company, of the Kaliphlin Guild.  
We work for Peace and Prosperity through Commerce.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users