Sign in to follow this  
Perry the Platypus

Review: 9566 Samaurai X

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I was on a quest to get the Kendo Jay booster pack today, only avaliable to customers who have made a $75 purchase at the LEGO Store. I picked up a few of the new spinner ses, plus some sets from other themes. I did get my Kendo Jay, but that's not the point of this review. Read on to see if Samaurai X is worth 'burning' a hole in your wallet. :laugh: Sorry my pictures are of such horrid quality - When you use an iPhone to take pictures, you know something is wrong.

9566_alt1.jpg

9566_alt4.jpg

Set: Samurai X

Set Number: 9655

Theme: Ninjago

Year of Release: 2012

Price: $9.99 USD

On the front of the packaging, we get a nice view of the set. It includes a picture of Samaurai X in all her (I think it's Nya) glory with the pars number and item number. We also get a look at the spinner included. A nice new design. On the back, we see all the legal notices, as well as a picture of how to construct the character in spinner. I think we all know how that works, but for those new to Ninjago spinner sets, it is a pretty handy piece of information. Now, let's see what is inside!

Once we rip open the package, we see the bag of weapons, the spinner, and the bag of pieces for the minifigure. I like the spinner sets. They are a cheap way to get minifigures and weapons. Plus, they make for a fun Spinjitsu battle with the family on a Saturday night. Let's get building!

241qljn.jpg]

The weapons included are rather nice, though a few we have seen before. First off, the Castle sword in black. Very cool piece. I have ne'er purchase a Castle set, so this is new to me. The rest of the weapons are pretty much spears and sticks, the usual stuff you would see in a Spinne set. Now on to the minifigure. Samaurai X is obviously female, judging by the head. The helmet is brand new, and is also used by Lord Garmadon in the Destiny's Bounty set. We get the Samaurai armor in gunmetal, a color recently not seen on this piece, and an exclusive to the set. She also has very detailed leg and torso printing, as well as clip-on armor that can attach to the helmet.

jszqc2.jpg

Here is the spinner. Nothing new here... Actually, it's a brand new piece! The bottom is flatter than the older 2011 spinner, and has a design that allows the spinner to move easier and last longer while spinning. There is also nice new fire printing, and armor to go on the spinner, a piece not seen in older spinner sets.

308i6bl.jpg

The play factor in this set varies. If you have another spinner at, you get more enjoyment while watching the figures battle it out in Spinjitsu combat. On its own, the set doesn't do very much except spin.

My final thoughts:

This set comes with a new spinner and an exclusive minifigure not included in the first wave of 2012 Ninjago sets. If you would like some new parts and need an extra spinner, this set is right up your ally. If you would rather have a booster pack, you could pass on this set and get another great minifigure like Cole ZX or Lloyd Garmadon.

Surely Samurai X cannot be defeated by Kendo Jay!

20120zb.jpg

Oops, spoke too soon...

f2u988.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Great written review, but it is nothing without pictures! :drool:

Don't worry. I need to get around to uploading them. They should be up by tomorrow or Monday.

Edited by Perry the Platypus

What? They changed the underside of the spinner? That is an illegal move in my opinion by LEGO as it devaluates the older spinners (or not, depending on performace). But they are not equal, which is a must in a game like this.

Weird.

So the spinner does not have that rounded 2x2 brick-thinged underneath?

Good review; I look forward to pics. I'd like to point out though that the big black sword is from Orient Expedition and 4+ Pirates, not Castle.

One of the things I think is cool about Samurai X is that although her design definitely pays tribute to Nya (her outfit under her armor has Nya's collar, and her spinner and clothing has Nya's distinctive phoenix emblem), all of her printed parts are unique to this set. The original Nya set also had a double-sided head, but it had one side plain and one side with a red mask/veil (I guess to make her look more "ninja-y"). This set drops the veiled face and instead has a rage-filled expression for the heat of battle. It's especially nice because the tendency in many themes is for the female fig's second expression to be a "scared" one, and while male figs also get this treatment, it's always nice to see both male and female figs looking self-assured with both expressions.

The new Samurai helmet is interesting. It will take me some time to warm up to it, even though it's not too radical a change from the old one. Based on its appearance on Lord Garmadon in the Destiny's Bounty, it presumably is completely replacing the old version.

What? They changed the underside of the spinner? That is an illegal move in my opinion by LEGO as it devaluates the older spinners (or not, depending on performace). But they are not equal, which is a must in a game like this.

Weird.

So the spinner does not have that rounded 2x2 brick-thinged underneath?

Nope, it does . It is just that the underside is flat, while the old one had a smooth, sticking out surface. I'll do a comparison picture once I take them.

Good review; I look forward to pics. I'd like to point out though that the big black sword is from Orient Expedition and 4+ Pirates, not Castle.

One of the things I think is cool about Samurai X is that although her design definitely pays tribute to Nya (her outfit under her armor has Nya's collar, and her spinner and clothing has Nya's distinctive phoenix emblem), all of her printed parts are unique to this set. The original Nya set also had a double-sided head, but it had one side plain and one side with a red mask/veil (I guess to make her look more "ninja-y"). This set drops the veiled face and instead has a rage-filled expression for the heat of battle. It's especially nice because the tendency in many themes is for the female fig's second expression to be a "scared" one, and while male figs also get this treatment, it's always nice to see both male and female figs looking self-assured with both expressions.

The new Samurai helmet is interesting. It will take me some time to warm up to it, even though it's not too radical a change from the old one. Based on its appearance on Lord Garmadon in the Destiny's Bounty, it presumably is completely replacing the old version.

I happen to like the new Samurai helmet. It has got my texture than the Series 3 helmet.

Minifigures usually have a scared and happy expression. As for Samurai X, Nya has a determined face and a smirk. It is not visible much, though, because of the clip-on helmet armor.

(I think it's Nya)

Dude, spoiler alert! :laugh:

If this was a booster and not a spinner, I'd actually consider getting it. Otherwise, it's still overpriced when I just want the minifig and accessories.

If this was a booster and not a spinner, I'd actually consider getting it. Otherwise, it's still overpriced when I just want the minifig and accessories.

Wait for a big sale and maybe you can get your hands on the set.

Pictures coming tomorrow!

same here!

I am sorry, no offense, I appreciate that you make a review - but your pics are of such horrible quality that I wonder how can you be satisfied with these and upload them?

I am sorry, no offense, I appreciate that you make a review - but your pics are of such horrible quality that I wonder how can you be satisfied with these and upload them?

Well, I never said I was satisified. I'm in the middle of uploading them right now. Sorry. :sceptic:

This minfig looks like it could be awesome, but I want to see what's under the armor before I shell out ten bucks. Could someone please upload pics that meet the high standards we'be been spoiled with?

This minfig looks like it could be awesome, but I want to see what's under the armor before I shell out ten bucks. Could someone please upload pics that meet the high standards we'be been spoiled with?

Will do. It is actually a very interesting torso design.

Oh, yeah, I'm definitely going to have to get multiples of this spinner, since it will go nicely with the Series 3 Samurai (I got a ton of those when they were out)... Even if it will take up my entire weekly impulse set budget.

Personally, I can't wait until the Samurai X mech comes out this summer, and I'll be getting more than one of that, too!

Perry the Platypus, you may also want to correct the spelling of Samurai, in the subject title.

I own her. She is now my slave. The new spinners are awesome! me and my son have been battling every night since we got these. These are so sweet. They work really good for head spinning too. I plan on using parts of her sometime soon in an old vagabond gaiden moc. The figure quality is a lot better this time. I was surprised how stiff she was for being chinese plastic.

Nya in disguise.

Spoiler! :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for uploading that before I did, Lego. I saw that picture somewhere...

Anyway, there you go!

www.LEGO.com :wink:

I thought the spinners aren't made in China anymore?

They aren't. :classic:

For some reason I am liking these new figures, this one in particular. The printing looks fabulous, plus the helmet!

Thanks for the review.

Using an iPhone to take such terrible pictures is no excuse at all. There are endless websites dedicated to iPhonography. I myself still use the iPhone3 and do not have any trouble. Try using more light, a white background and hold the phone still.

I beg of you to take these shots again. It is a disgrace. :cry_sad: