Hello Everybody!

My latest creation of which I am very keen! Loved to build it, including the design, color scheme and it's functions/features. Initially build for this amazing book "The Art of LEGO Scale Modeling" in which is fully "shiny". Yes, a lot of chrome parts are used to make it even more impressive.

For a guy who lives in the Netherlands for whole of his live it took quite a while to get started with a "Euro" truck :wink: Well, here it is! Well, I am curious what it is that you think of this MOC, please share it...

Would you be interested to build it yourself? Well that's possible. I have building instructions and inventory/parts list are available . Early in the building process you will see what it is that you are building. You will be very excited from the moment you start the build of "Truck T13" till you finish it with about 420 different parts totaling 2790 pieces.

640x446.jpg

The truck features: solid axle suspension on all axles of which the rear axle uses tandem bogie suspension, PF powered driving with power transmitted independently to both rear axles, Ackerman geometry on steering axle, Servo powered steering, fully functional fifth wheel, fifth wheel slider, detailed engine bay, modeled Scania V8 engine, detailed cabin interior and 3 light units.

Scale: 1:17,5

Length: 444 mm

Weight: 2,21kg

Parts: 2790

The Scania 3 series is the third generation truck model range introduced by Scania, which we all know is Swedish truck manufacturer. Obviously it is the successor of the 2 series and was introduced back in 1987. With the release of the 4 series in 1997 production of the 3 series stopped after being produced for roughly a decade.

Given the fact it has a hood or bonnet, so it is not a COE (cab over engine) truck, it is referred to as a torpedo. For this the manufacturer gave it a prefix as well, a T. At that time the 3 series T came in a range of different engine sizes and horsepower. Starting with a 9.0 liter engine with 230 horsepower all the way up to a massive 14 liter V8 engine with 500 horsepower. Being available with either a 9, 11, or 14 liter engine truck models were denoted 93, 113, or 143.

To indicate the rating of the frame and suspension stiffness a letter suffix is used. Rated with an M indicates this model has a „medium” frame and suspension setup. Other suffices used by Scania are H for „heavy” and E for „extra-heavy”.

640x446.jpg

640x446.jpg

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

Once again you really outdone yourself! I really like the dark red/ brown color combination, you dont see many of these around. What are technical specs? Knowing you this baby must have suspension, driving, steering and working 5th gear.

P.S.What happened to the crome version?

I have purchased the instructions on mocplans and i have to say it is a really pretty masterpiece.

I also purchased the building instruction. It is an awsome truck!

Still waiting for my parts to arrive but that doesn't stop me from going through the instruction over and over again and appreciate the design and attentive to detail!

Just wondering if I can fit a technic figure inside the cab?

Thanks for the kind words and know the support is very much appreciated! :thumbup::classic:

Once again you really outdone yourself! I really like the dark red/ brown color combination, you dont see many of these around. What are technical specs? Knowing you this baby must have suspension, driving, steering and working 5th gear.

P.S.What happened to the crome version?

Thanks! The colors are for now my favorite, it really was a great puzzle, but enjoyed it very much! I have added the specs, did not think of it before... :wink:

The chrome parts are here with me. In a couple of weeks I will exhibiting at LEGO World here in the Netherlands. Then it will have all the chrome installed again!

I also purchased the building instruction. It is an awsome truck!

Still waiting for my parts to arrive but that doesn't stop me from going through the instruction over and over again and appreciate the design and attentive to detail!

Just wondering if I can fit a technic figure inside the cab?

Thanks to you too! Great that you love going to the instructions again. You may notice a lot of effort is put into it, so that is very much appreciated!!! :wub::thumbup:

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. Have none myself and therefore did not try to fit one in...

Beautiful truck! The model really captures the soul of the Scania. Great job on the color scheme, always on point.

Maybe I'll see you at Lego World

Edited by legotechnicus

Beautiful truck! The model really captures the soul of the Scania. Great job on the color scheme, always on point.

Maybe I'll see you at Lego World

Thank you so much! :thumbup: Great that you think I did a good job capturing the soul of this Scania. Including it retro looks... :wink:

Yes perhaps, I'll be there for sure, from the first minute till the very last...

This is my favorite truck out of all the ones you've made. It looks amazing. On a side note, have you ever considered making a cab over engine truck?

Very nicely done, the T142/T143 are my favourite Scania models because of the sheer number of straight lines. This is why I would like to make the move to studded construction because the end result looks far better and you can get more detail into it which is something that is important to me. It looks far better than my fully Technic rendition of this truck from the start of the year. I should try to make it again but better because my skills and parts collection have increased a lot since then. One question though, where does the 'Australian' come into it? The only thing Australian is that it was sold in Australia.

Looks great as usual! The details are awesome! My wallet is thankful I am not in to Euro trucks so I don't have to buy all the parts! :laugh: I might have to buy the instructions "just because"!

Well, thanks to all! :wink: Always nice to see that people love it as much as I loved building it... For me this is indeed also one of the favorite Scania series especially the torpedo.

...On a side note, have you ever considered making a cab over engine truck?

Yes and no :blush::laugh: Started with the build of a DAF CF a couple of years ago. Being Dutch sort of "tells" me to build a DAF someday en I prefer the looks of CF over XF personally! Somehow I always return to "torpedo" trucks, not sure why, but those are so appealing! So, maybe I will someday, but maybe not... :blush::grin:

Very nicely done, the T142/T143 are my favourite Scania models because of the sheer number of straight lines. This is why I would like to make the move to studded construction because the end result looks far better and you can get more detail into it which is something that is important to me. It looks far better than my fully Technic rendition of this truck from the start of the year. I should try to make it again but better because my skills and parts collection have increased a lot since then. One question though, where does the 'Australian' come into it? The only thing Australian is that it was sold in Australia.

You are so right about this, that is exactly why I build studded! The major advantage of stud less constructions though would be the sheer weight of it. For me the looks are not appealing for the very reasons you describe, but the model could end up weighing half of the studded version... :wink: Back to studded, for me it is also about details. Those are important and since system parts are smaller more options occur...

Increasing parts collection and skills will change things for sure, so yes give it another shot! Looking forward to see the result someday... :thumbup:

Fair question, and the answer is not that impressive. First of all the steering wheel is on the right side, but that makes it not explicitly Australian. With this it could be English or South African as well, I know... :classic:

One minor (for me major) detail left and for me so important though: the external air cleaner as it is used in Australia. That detail really caught my eye (only shows up in pictures of Ausies) and I wanted to have it on this specific model. So there it is... :wink: ...that is all to it...

Another outstanding truck Ingmar. I love the stripes :wub:

Thanks so much and could fit a Drake, agree?

Looking great as always, do you have a video yet?

No not yet, but there will be one soon...

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!! Finally a long-nose Scania. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I looove it! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Thanks for these kind words, did not know you were so anxious to see one... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But I absolutely agree with you...!!! :thumbup:

Looks great as usual! The details are awesome! My wallet is thankful I am not in to Euro trucks so I don't have to buy all the parts! :laugh: I might have to buy the instructions "just because"!

That is one point of view, the other is: you have know idea what you will miss... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding, I understand. We all have to set priorities and passing one has it advantages, that is for sure!

Hello "2Lego", great moc as usual! I do prefer the yellow cabin tho! I've always loved the T series and you made a wonderful copy of it!

Please be quick with the video and then with a trailer!!

You are so right about this, that is exactly why I build studded! The major advantage of stud less constructions though would be the sheer weight of it. For me the looks are not appealing for the very reasons you describe, but the model could end up weighing half of the studded version... :wink: Back to studded, for me it is also about details. Those are important and since system parts are smaller more options occur...

Increasing parts collection and skills will change things for sure, so yes give it another shot! Looking forward to see the result someday... :thumbup:

Fair question, and the answer is not that impressive. First of all the steering wheel is on the right side, but that makes it not explicitly Australian. With this it could be English or South African as well, I know... :classic:

One minor (for me major) detail left and for me so important though: the external air cleaner as it is used in Australia. That detail really caught my eye (only shows up in pictures of Ausies) and I wanted to have it on this specific model. So there it is... :wink: ...that is all to it...

I see, that's why it looked particularly familiar to me :wink: Here in NZ the trucks are the same as in Australia so I took the external air filter and RHD for granted but now that I think about it the external air filter is exclusive to us, either mounted just in front of the cab on most conventionals or behind the cab on COEs and some conventional trucks. I'll buy your instructions for this model as that it's my favourite Scania and it just speaks to me every time I see a photo of it (first time I've bought instructions for a MOC too). What is the easiest way to get the required pieces in the cheapest possible way? If Bricklink or something like that it would be best if they were all in one or two shops because shipping across the world to NZ costs a lot of money which I don't have :grin:

Hello "2Lego", great moc as usual! I do prefer the yellow cabin tho! I've always loved the T series and you made a wonderful copy of it!

Please be quick with the video and then with a trailer!!

Thanks for these kind words! Funny that you prefer the yellow cab, and I can imagine you do though! Why is it funny? Because the yellow version used to be the design and development model. Since about two years now I am custom to build what ever truck model in yellow first. Basically two reasons for that specific color: A) it is bright, shiny and happy color... :classic: B) a model should look realistic in a solid color as well. I don't want to use color scheme to hide "flaws". No, it should be perfect and the "painting" happens next...

I see, that's why it looked particularly familiar to me :wink: Here in NZ the trucks are the same as in Australia so I took the external air filter and RHD for granted but now that I think about it the external air filter is exclusive to us, either mounted just in front of the cab on most conventionals or behind the cab on COEs and some conventional trucks. I'll buy your instructions for this model as that it's my favourite Scania and it just speaks to me every time I see a photo of it (first time I've bought instructions for a MOC too). What is the easiest way to get the required pieces in the cheapest possible way? If Bricklink or something like that it would be best if they were all in one or two shops because shipping across the world to NZ costs a lot of money which I don't have :grin:

Now I see both why you overlooked the air cleaner and why you have kiwi in your name... :laugh::blush::wink: Just kidding, not about the air cleaner part. That makes perfect sense, for you it is common, for me it is what caught my eye as I wrote earlier. You know, this model is a fusion between CEO and conventional I guess. Compared to US trucks it really has a wide cabin and so is the cabin side of the hood. So no room for external air cleaners there I suppose...

Well, that makes me feel special, maybe even honored that this will be your first MOC instructions! :classic: That is a good question, because I live in the Netherlands I have not such a dilemma... Back to your question: because of the large number of different parts, over 400 I think BL is the only possibility! If you have acces to the online LEGO shopping options you might want to buy the PF using this. Yes, getting it down to a max of 2 orders would be nice, but if that is possible? Does it help that there are quite some stores in Australia?

Because of the large number of different parts, over 400 I think BL is the only possibility! If you have acces to the online LEGO shopping options you might want to buy the PF using this. Yes, getting it down to a max of 2 orders would be nice, but if that is possible? Does it help that there are quite some stores in Australia?

Right so I have a mate not far from me who has a large Bricklink store which I can order from without even joining the website which I can hopefully get a large proportion of the parts from and then source the rest from other shops. The Australian shops help and they don't because it is definitely cheaper than getting them from Europe or America but they have a higher piece price than the others so it's not the perfect solution but it's the best option when you can't make the perfect solution :wink:

Right so I have a mate not far from me who has a large Bricklink store which I can order from without even joining the website which I can hopefully get a large proportion of the parts from and then source the rest from other shops. The Australian shops help and they don't because it is definitely cheaper than getting them from Europe or America but they have a higher piece price than the others so it's not the perfect solution but it's the best option when you can't make the perfect solution :wink:

I suppose that is what you should do... Perfect options, if this would exist... :tongue::laugh: Well, what would be perfect if there was a single shop anywhere on this planet that had all the parts at once. Yes you still have to pay for shipping, and might be quite an amount, a single order is both the easiest and in the the cheapest, I am pretty sure about it! Well have fun building!

Chr.Maglekaer, on 07 October 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!! Finally a long-nose Scania. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I looove it! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Thanks for these kind words, did not know you were so anxious to see one... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But I absolutely agree with you...!!! :thumbup:

Well, I have a soft spot for the Series 2 and Series 3 Scania models :blush::laugh::grin:

Edited by Chr.Maglekaer

Well to me the "brown" version looks a bit messy...I mean with the yellow I can read the shapes better! Anso I like clean simple stuff let's say!!

Also the yellow is my favorite because I don't like the extra spoilers and flaps....I like the cabin to be squary, simple and effective!

Anyway as usual great job! Keep it on! I wish i could come to seei it at Lego World!

Well to me the "brown" version looks a bit messy...I mean with the yellow I can read the shapes better! Anso I like clean simple stuff let's say!!

Also the yellow is my favorite because I don't like the extra spoilers and flaps....I like the cabin to be squary, simple and effective!

Anyway as usual great job! Keep it on! I wish i could come to seei it at Lego World!

Well your comment is spot on so to speak and I absolutely did not took it as an offense...! :thumbup: What you describe is exactly why I build the yellow version for! :classic: Building a model after a specific brand and type it needs to be equal in shape. So yes, no extras or what so ever.

You prefer to stick with it, which is a good thing! For me it was important to give it an extra touch though. Being asked to join this book I stated above challenged me to go a little further... Thanks again and there will be more straight forward editions of this truck in the future for sure! Also will it have different applications! Thanks again! :classic:

I just saw the chromed version of this and now it looks like it's straight off State Highway 1 over the fence :sweet: I'm also pleased to say that the local guy has most of the required pieces so that will drop the price right down. I plan to build a B-Train to go behind the truck.

2d0aw5t.jpg

Probably in TNL's colours so pretty much this but do a Richard Hammond and chuck a dog kennel on the front and you've got the end result :laugh:

Very nice model. Just like your other trucks.

I like how every details is carefully designed. Even things we do not see on the final model, but only during the building process.

A nice chassis, a nice building experience, this is as important as the final model itself, and you nailed it. Bravo !

I miss some studs though. To bring some character and texture to the vehicle. Like this one for example : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6232974

One question on the brown truck :

The very slight slope (with "stair effect") on the hood does not add much visually speaking. I am pretty sure you could have made that part totally flat. From there, with a simplified construction on the top, couldn't you have use SNIR on the sides ?

On the very top, dark red 4x1 curved slopes would also be welcome. :)

I just saw the chromed version of this and now it looks like it's straight off State Highway 1 over the fence :sweet: I'm also pleased to say that the local guy has most of the required pieces so that will drop the price right down. I plan to build a B-Train to go behind the truck.

Probably in TNL's colours so pretty much this but do a Richard Hammond and chuck a dog kennel on the front and you've got the end result :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Are you that close to State Highway 1 :wink: All great news, your parts availability and the colors you choose. Just great and I am looking forward to see it completed. Will you post pics of it? Probably you will :classic:

That trailer is going to be lovely as well. The one in the picture has soft sides with straps, what are your plans on this? Any ideas yet? Does this TNL have other trailers, like flatbeds or so? Would probably be lighter in weight...!