spectre4188

Modular Sets

Forgive me, but the old ideas thread has been closed, and I wanted to start a discussion on what AFOLs think the next modular sets should be. I haven't seen much discussion about this -- and I'd like for Lego not to lose track on this wonderful line.

Regarding modular sets, I think the below guidelines should (continue to be) followed -- please expand upon if you have suggestions:

1. Sets must include complete interiors
  2. All detail bricks must be printed -- no stickers

With that being said, I'd like to being the suggestion process :)

Police Precinct

Outside Design: Light tan brick with steps front and center -- "POLICE" light globes on either side of steps -- leading to double front doors. Similar to 1940's themed detective / police series. Building should be 2 stories -- with roof steeple and design similar to Beverly Hills police precinct / Los Angeles City Hall. No back area to maximize potential space internally.

Inside Design: 1st Floor -- reception desk, questioning area, jail cell, elevator. 2nd floor -- offices with large room for 2 or 3 desks in the open. Roof: Steeple and antennas.

First National Bank

Outside Design: Dark tan brick with glass door, and windows in the center. Windows should have printed design -- "BANK" in gold, with sand blasted privacy look on bottom half. Should feature an ATM machine -- where back of ATM is behind the counter, and accessible from inside the bank. Building should be 2 stories with bottom story the height of 2 (similar to the fire brigade). Windows should feature arches on the top, with 4 window panels per section.

Inside Design: 1st story should feature a waiting area and desk - and counter with 2 or 3 stations. Counter should feature bars or security glass with computer and drawers on the business side. Counter should have a tiny hole for money to be passed from outside. 2nd story should feature an office with a safe. Safe should have 2x4 studded walls with vault door complete with wheel. Would be nice if the walls could have some drawers for safe deposit boxes.

Landmark Theater

Outside Design: 3 story building with marquee overhanging the street. Entrance should look similar to El Capitan Theater in Los Angeles, complete with ticket booth before entrance, and in-wall posters on each side of the exterior. Marquee should look similar to the Town Plan, but on a larger scale, and should rise vertically past roof.

Inside Design: Bottom floor should feature bathrooms and snack stand. Stairs should be on the side of the room. 2nd and 3rd floors should be theaters -- small as they may be.

Edited by spectre4188

Rather than cinema theatre (not that it would be bad either), I'd like to see a, well, theatre. With a theatre hall and a stage and a few actors in costumes. :) That would be awesome. I think it could fit very well with the earlier modular buildings.

I love the "store" modular sets, but what I'd love to see is a small apartment building - including furniture (almost like a dollhouse :tongue:) THAT would be cool. I don't think LEGO has ventured into furniture very much.

I'll love to see a Modular supermarket with lots of new food pieces! :classic:

This would be really cool - a large grocery store would be a lot of fun and a GREAT addition to the collection.

But a cinema would also be neat...Do it like one of the new megaplex style. :)

I'll love to see a Modular supermarket with lots of new food pieces! :classic:

Wouldn't that overlap with the Green Grocer? Not sure if had "new" food pieces but it was a supermarket in a way (well more of a grocery store but whatever).

There are rumors that it might be a post office. Seeing the clues that Lego left behind on the Grand Emporium.

There are rumors that it might be a post office. Seeing the clues that Lego left behind on the Grand Emporium.

Ooh! I'd buy that without thinking about it!

What are the clues?

There was a mail box outside the Grand Emporium.

Thats a clue?

Thats a clue?

There's a "theory" behind it...

Cherries in Cafe Corner -> Green Grocer

Fire hydrant in Green Grocer -> Fire Brigade

Girl with bag in Fire Brigade -> Grand Emporium

(Market Street isn't technically part of the series).

... far-fetched I agree. :hmpf_bad:

Based on this theory, the next modular would either be a post office or an ice cream parlor.

Yes, far fetched, but it could turn up true... when would you expect a modular set to be released? It looks like they've been created twice a year, starting in Sept/Oct 2007, the first in the year is in March and then the second in Sept/Oct. The last one was released in March this year so hopefully a new one in March next year?

Being an actor myself, I'm all for a Theater Hall. In addition to the Stage, Actors, Seating, and Audience, you would need a Backstage. Believe it or not, a good backstage is a dealbreaker for some actors.

In addition to the interior, it would need an excellent exterior. Lots of lights are a must. As are the large boards that tell you what events are coming up. Then, right in the middle, the name of the theater. I'll edit with a picture of my beloved local theater in a moment.

EDIT:

2540264874_fe80f41bf2.jpg?v=0

There she is. The Collins theater. This would probably be my dream set.

Edited by cralegoboy

Based on this theory, the next modular would either be a post office or an ice cream parlor.

I forgot about the ice cream stand, But if it is a pet shop what could link the GE with a pet shop default_sceptic.gif

I would love to see a movie theatre. And maybe for the screen in the actual showing room, it would just be a white wall and then have a transparent piece with a sticker or printing on it showing a picture from the movie with a light up brick behind it to project it onto the wall. THAT would be cool. Also lots of minifigs since movies tend to have lots of people watching.

Hospital. There's never been a good one. hospital sets are either more like clinics or cottage hospitals or sadly lacking like the last city one. A modular hospital could at least provide a good solid foundation for building a larger spread out collection of buildings. If the modular hospital was the main building with the main entrance and reception hall on the ground floor, an operating room on the next floor and a ward on the top floor.

Hospital. There's never been a good one. hospital sets are either more like clinics or cottage hospitals or sadly lacking like the last city one. A modular hospital could at least provide a good solid foundation for building a larger spread out collection of buildings. If the modular hospital was the main building with the main entrance and reception hall on the ground floor, an operating room on the next floor and a ward on the top floor.

Would be really cool, but that would probably be like a $500 dollar set. Lots of rooms and buildings and stuff. That would be the coolest modular buildings set ever made though. Lots of doctor minifigs and new parts for surgical tools and such. And an MRI machine :D

IMHO a hospital modular would have two be twice the size of GG/CC. A corner piece and a middle section, allowing wards and operating theatres on the the straight section. Leaving the ER entrance, stairs/lifts and doctors rooms for the corner segment.

However, I do suspect it will be a post office; whilst I like the idea of a pet store, I can't visualise it.

I think an old time movie theater with a marquee and those old neon signs (brick built, maybe even with a light brick to light up) would be awesome, as someone else suggested.

Since this thread isn't being locked as a duplicate, I am going to post my ideas in it.

Post Office, Bank, Police Station, Health Clinic, Theatre, Tower.

I visualise the Tower as a special 10th Anniversary Modular Building, twice the height as the other modular buildings. A corner shop or reception on the ground floor, offices or hotel rooms above that, motorised glass elevator, lighting for each floor, veiwing platform on top... exclusive Mayor minifig with mayoral chains, cutting the ribbon to open the building... journalists covering the event...

Ahem. I do think a Theatre has the best architectural possibilities though.

Edited by David Thomsen

I like the old-school movie theater.

Like others have said I agree a greek revival style building using the new roman-column would be pretty awesome (ala NYSE), it could be a bank, library, museum, courthouse, stock exchange, whatever.

It would also be nice for the "modular town" to have some kind of office building, it could be the offices of the town newspaper. I see it as a corner building, with a "clock-tower" on top like the san francisco's chronicle building.

Anyway as long as the modular sets line keeps going I'm pretty sure I'll happy with whatever they come up with :grin: