Sign in to follow this  
Koenta

10179 sold on Dutch auction for €5000

Wow! *oh2*

It's a fabulous set, but I think perhaps somebody had a little more money than sense...

There are fools galore in the world. This one happens to be a very minor one in comparison to other silly stuff that's going on. That being said, LEGO is at it's core a toy. Using it as an investment or collector's item is a bit strange to me.

LEGO is at it's core a toy. Using it as an investment or collector's item is a bit strange to me.

Well said.

I really hope there will be a new UCS Falcon soon.....for 2 reasons: 1) the people who want one can get one for a fair price...and 2) it p***** off the investors. :devil:

Well said.

I really hope there will be a new UCS Falcon soon.....for 2 reasons: 1) the people who want one can get one for a fair price...and 2) it p***** off the investors. :devil:

Maybe next year an EPVII UCS Falcon?

Using it as an investment or collector's item is a bit strange to me.

People invest in loads of things, some buy a house some buy cars, we AFOLS buy LEGO :D

I bought 2 21100 Shinkai sets, one i built, one is MISB, i bought both for 35 Euro's a piece, on Bricklink they are being sold for 400-500 Euro's, nice nest-egg to have.

There are fools galore in the world. This one happens to be a very minor one in comparison to other silly stuff that's going on. That being said, LEGO is at it's core a toy. Using it as an investment or collector's item is a bit strange to me.

You are overly harsh here. Yes, Lego is a toy. As such it is a pure luxury item for us AFOLs. I spend quite a lot money on Lego just like I spend a lot on single malts, because I can afford that luxury. And if I were a billionaire really wanting that set now, I probably would have spend that much too. So it all comes down to how much we are willing to pay for our luxuries. For many people, we are already in the foolish league. :wink:

:laugh::thumbup:

I think Flieger is spot on here.

Maybe he bought it as an investment for future. I can't imagine it would go up in value much more than 5000 Euros as that already seems a bit excessive for one. So I'd assume it is a collector that wants it for the fact it is MISB.

I could be completely wrong though. But at the end of the day, while I also hope a new one is released, I don't resent or feel justified in mocking the person for spending that much on it. They clearly can afford to.

At the end of the day, what can he do with that MISB version? He can't put it on his drive to gleam in the sun, it'd look daft in a display case in a living room. It's only real use is to satisfy ones need to have a MISB version in as best condition as possible, to slowly catch up to the value he paid for it, and then slowly increase in value further, as 30 years passes by.

Then what? Sell it and enjoy the money I guess...

But then he is forking out 5000 Euros on it, he probably doesn't have money worries anyway.

Or just keep enjoying a box that rattles.

I agree that collecting Lego as an investment vs a hobby is probably not the best retirement plan but..... I do enjoy the fact that I can buy a set, enjoy it, and then possibly let it go a few years later with minimal loss or even a profit.

Buying LEGO putting it away for solely monetary reasons, namely to make a buck on the aftermarket later, is not comparable to someone who buys LEGOs, is creative with them, and for some reasons decides to sell them later. The intention is totally different, and intention entitles to judgement based on opinion.

The concept of making money without actually providing service or creating something value, be it utilitarian in nature, aesthetically or even as a luxury, is despicable to me.

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

> the concept of making money without providing a service is despicable to me

But the seller in this case IS providing a service. He purchased and stored a MISB Falcon for this rich buyer to enjoy. It's a huge box and he's stored it for 8 years - so yes - that's providing a service by any definition. Nothing wrong with that. The set was available from Lego stores for anyone who wanted to buy it new - so he wasn't depriving anyone of a set.

Edited by Missing Brick

Don't find this strange at all. It's all about value and rarity. It's like buying any item that is very rare and appeals to people. Even if TLG bring out another UCS Falcon, this particular set is still unique to this series. Even if the new model is considered even better.

In a couple of years it will likely be even more valuable. A good investment. The only the thing the buyer can't do with it is open it and build it. Then it will lose a lot of it's appeal being one of the only MISB sets.

I wonder what an opened and built 10179 would go for in today's market?

I wonder what an opened and built 10179 would go for in today's market?

I can't imagine much more than £1000 to £1500 at most, due to the ability to bricklink it for less

We also have a Dutch internet site called "Marktplaats" like marketplace. I have seen more MISB 10179's go for around €2250, €2500. And bricklink versions for around €1250, €1500. So this buyer has no money problem

I sold my first edition, opened (to check the certificate nr.), but unbuilt and still completely bagged up 10179 Millennium Falcon last year for €2.000, through Marktplaats. Proceeds went to buying our first house. Haven't regretted selling it for even a second.