Sign in to follow this  
SevenStuds

What is the best surface to build on?

Having tried a few options, I'm still wondering what the best surface is to build on.

I find that anything too smooth, like a table, makes small or round parts roll or slide off too easily.

I have been using a white beach towel, which has enough friction to keep parts in place, but it still folds too easily.

Has anyone found an ideal surface to work on, besides a table (or carpet)?

I usually build on the floor (carpet). If I build at my desk or at a bigger table, I use trays to keep the pieces from running away. I actually bought a bunch of used cafeteria trays on eBay a few years ago, they're great for sorting parts and keeping things in place.

I use this, just bigger: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80012853/

It's a rubbery mat that's slightly texturized. It generally prevents small pieces from rolling and is non-slippery, so it does not slide around the table when moving bigger sections of builds. Also helps prevent damage to my wooden tables, which is a nice bonus. Some trays can also be very useful.

I have a friend who does a lot of beading and she uses these felt or foam mats that lie flat and prevent small parts (like beads) from rolling away. If you look online or in hobby stores for bead mats, you'll find them in many sizes.

I've never used them while building. My LEGO table/desk has a very hard smooth top, but I usually use the lids from my storage bins to corral pieces while I'm working.

That's old school... I build in zero gravity.

I don't have enough money to support zero gravity hobbies. Water is cheap.

I also just try to build on a table/floor with the munchkin depending...but I try to use another storage container that holds the pieces so they don't fly everywhere. But I prefer hard surfaces. Each time I try to use a semi-soft surface (carpet) it is hard to get the proper return force when trying to push down on bricks. There is too much give and things don't clutch as well as they should. Maybe that's just me.

I'm trying to build on baseplates stuck onto a table but honestly don't think it works as well as I was hoping. The studs do help to stop pieces moving around though.

With MOCs I often use a wooden shelf on a carpeted floor. The build sits on the wood so I can get proper clutch engagement. Pieces are in bins or in progress pieces on carpet. It works pretty well but even though I like sitting on the floor its a bit hard on the back as I get older.

I like to build on the studs, when I use only non-studded sides, things don't stay together.

;)

This is like the very definition of a #firstworldproblem.

Get yourself an industrial kitchen-sized baking sheet. They are more than 1.5m^2 and have a 2cm lip all the way around to keep the 1x1 round bricks from rolling away when you drop them with your butterfingers. :P

I agree: the very definition of a #firstworldproblem. Hahaha!

I tend to use the dining room table which is solid cherry but has a top protector that is simulated woodgrain with fake ridges. Works well most of the time, but I also use small container lids and larger soup bowls when needed. The chairs are perfect for holding excess parts bins required for a build, and this leaves our kitchen table free for......eating! As we have an open floor plan or great room for kitchen, dining, living and foyer all in one, it is less claustrophobic than sitting in a much smaller LEGO/bedroom. I find that LEGO and carpet don't mix.