The Middleman

Final 'Vikings' Box Pictures

vikingwarrior.jpg

vikingboat.jpg

vikingcatapult.jpg

vikingship.jpg

vikingfortress.jpg

My thoughts:

Ok, so they kept the 'new' designs. I liked the old ones better - who didn't? - but the fortress and the ship are still way cool. The catapult isn't that bad, the boat is pretty good, and the wolf... well, there's a figure that goes with it, eh? My biggest gripe is how they replaced the piece-built dragon-head of the old version with that 'new' dragon head.... oh well. The figures still look fantastic. Share your thoughts here!

PS - these were found on www.amazon.de. If anyone sees that these have gone up for sale there, post here. ;) Right now, they're on preorder.

First off, there is one thing good and one thing bad in this line.

Bad: I really hate how the bionicle-ish parts are blended with standard "system" bricks. I am not a Bionicle-person, so sorry for those how like that area. Also, those weapons.. I don't know, I liked more about those non-realistic one-color weapons.

Good: The designers of the sets have oblivously looked at some peoples creations. Some techniques like that wolfs legs, are almost directly from BrickShelf. And on a side note, any western-people? Check out that castle set!

Where on Amazon were these found? I've looked, and I can't find them. As for the sets themselves, here's what I think:

7016 - I actually like the wolf, I think it looks very good for a lego model. And the extra fig is always a plus.

7017 - I love the boat, but the creature doesn't look very good.

7017 - The catapult looks pretty good (I like the bit that the Viking stands on at the side) and the dragon is still just as cool as it was before.

7018 - It's really a shame that they changed the brick-built dragon head, that was my favourite bit of the set. It's still a good set, just not as good as it could have been.

7019 - This set looks really good, but I prefered the second version that we saw, because the middle wasn't so empty, but I still like it. The dragon is excellent as well.

My favorite set is the wolf. I think LEGO did a great job designing a nice looking super posable wolf. The set also has the viking warrior in plain black armor which I think is very cool indeed. :oD

The double ship isn't all that great and I never really liked the mini-dragon. :( I would get one for parts but it isn't that exciting.

The seige cart is decent and the dragon that comes with it looks pretty good. This set is quite nice. :)

I can't say I am a huge fan of the longboat until I can see it in person. It looks very nice but I want to see the set more up close before I decide it's value. I do wish it came with more Vikings but perhaps the sea monster ate them already. :^D :-D

The viking fortress is awesome. :oD The pieces used to make it are excellent the dragon is nice and it has the most accesories of any of the sets. Even though I can't see the detail on this, I know I will get this one for sure.

Overall, I like the Viking sets. ;) I wish the price points would stay on the lower end but it is LEGO and so they never do. :'( Excellent find.

I think I will still get more KK2 than Viking because it is an actual castle series. Castle is where my heart lies. *wub* *wub* *wub*

And we will be able to have double bladed axes!!!! :oD

If you look closely, you can see that there is a double bladed axe in the Fortress set (standing on the wall on the side closest to us)

i have no clue where tlc is going with this line. it seems as if this theme is a bad compilation of bionicle, the us dinosaur theme and the western theme. you can easily replace these vikings with castle knights for instance and it still would be just minifigs fighting creatures. there's no essential cultural viking element in this theme, except for the longboat...

i really am disappointed with this theme. finaly tlc had the chance to show the world that vikings were not just cruel barbarians but fishermen, sailors, explorers,... but that doesn't sell, so it seems... very sad...

the viking minifigs are the only thing that's good on this theme and the price of those will probably skyrocket on bricklink once they're available in europe

btw, it seems they dropped the small boat set for the 7016 set...

Having seen and played with these sets on the Inside tour I recommend them. The are brilliant.

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

Languages, I thought that you wouldn't give away any clues about the Inside Tour. :|

In my opinion, the sets look amazing! I better start saving my money! So many good sets!! I'm glad TLC is beginning to improve its product lines.

BTW, Does anyone know if the ship's hull (on both) is a new or old mold?

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

Languages, I thought that you wouldn't give away any clues about the Inside Tour. :|

In my opinion, the sets look amazing! I better start saving my money! So many good sets!! I'm glad TLC is beginning to improve its product lines.

Both are new.

Not for me :'( Look at the age range. 7-14 :D

They don't look REALLY cool to me. Sorry folks.

But perhaps they will look better on my desk ;) Who knows

I think I might just buy them all! :D

The longboat and fortress look great, the fortress particularly looks way better than I thought it would finally turn out. The figs and weapons look amazing too! I will probably buy multiple of the Wolf set to get the black euro armour and axe.

Great find here Jay! :)

Jon.

the double sided axe that is on the wall is in the hand of a guy i outlined it so you can see it a little bit better

post-10-1117750548.jpg

You'll notice that BZPower linked to us for this. I sent them an e-mail earlier. Who knows, maybe we'll get a few new members!

Small ship is just two brown boats (2551) connected back to back.

Large ship has 3 old middle parts (2560), the ends are 1 new mold.

That cougar thingie is the PWNage--! This is one of the best LEGO series ever.

BTW, I came here from BZP, so... Heh :P

G

I might buy the bigger ship first, then the fortress, and if I have enough money, the other sets...but I'm focusing on buying multiples of the "wolf" set (7015) primarily for part resources.

The wolf looks very interesting. I might buy the bigger ship first, then the fortress, and if I have enough money, the other sets...but I'm focusing on buying multiples of the "wolf" set (7015) primarily for part resources.

Certainly, those hydraulic "T" pieces are so hard to find, even on Bricklink.. >.>

G

so very true i have the technic backhoe that one came with lots anyways for me to comment on the sets i would say they all looks really good the wolf i think is ok but i would buy multiples of the set as many others would for the pieces and the little viking guy and the axes

I have tons of "T" pieces! (Well, maybe not "tons" but I do have alot) :-D

Since I'm a City fanatic, each of the City Police Motorcycles come with 3, thats right, 3 "T" pieces. And I bought about 6 of them (for my police station). ;)

Anyways, I'm interested in the mechanical arms, the brown bar/stick, the red rubies, and the black armor.

I like the ship and the fort the best. But I have to agree with some of the other comments re. the Bionicle creatures. The use of Bionicle parts give the creatures a robotic look. Don't care for this at all - esp. the wolf which looks more like a futuristic mechanical robot in the age of Vikings - just doesn't go together well.

Aside from the creatures, I like the sets and will most definately buy the large ship at a minimum.

I dunno, I kinda like the Fenris wolf. Looks perfectly fit to attempt to swallow the sun or be boud by a chain of seven impossible things.

About the only set I'm not too keen on is the Catapult set. The rest I'm going to have to pick up, it'll just be a matter of time and resources.

Akkh

Small ship is just two brown boats (2551) connected back to back.

It has to be #33129, because 2 #2551's cannot be connected together smoothly.

Large ship has 3 old middle parts (2560), the ends are 1 new mold.