BigDumbWookiee

LEGO Collectable Minifigures display cases

Collectable Minigure Display Cases

Officially Licensed Products

5444157109_2e2fcd119f_z.jpg

5444156499_51dedb1f23_z.jpg

On Amazon.com - not officially endorsed by LEGO

51Tr58VblhL.jpg510CtoXg7AL.jpg

Happened across these looking for ways to display my mini figures.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minifigure-Display-Case-Minifigures/dp/B004EHLRLG

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minifigure-Display-Holds-Minifigures/dp/B004EHN7I2

Are these legit/licensed, or fan made? $19.99 is pricey, but they are kind of cool...

Edited by Big Cam
Removed Plast-Team link per their request

They are legit, but they aren't licensed (do you see the LEGO logo on it anywhere?).

$19 is too much for what it is, IMO.

They are legit, but they aren't licensed (do you see the LEGO logo on it anywhere?).

$19 is too much for what it is, IMO.

They did a good job at getting the colors and fonts right. They look good to display, but yeah $19 is a little steep, especially if they are only made of plastic like Protecto-Packs.

I have other ideas in mind for dispalying my figs......

I've been looking at one of these display cases from the Container Store. For $10, it's a pretty good price, and it looks like it would be the perfect size to display an entire series.

That does look perfect. If you get one, you should show how well the minifigs fit. I might even consider getting one...

I agree, JoeBot, that looks like a GREAT solution... at 10 inches wide it's about as wide as a standard baseplate (although you wouldn't get that much usable space).

I think I'll order a few.

Has anyone bought the official Lego minifig display yet? It costs € 9.99 and is available at S@H

http://shop.lego.com/ByCategory/Product.aspx?p=852820&cn=97&d=203

The problem with this is there is only room for 15 of the 16 figures. :)

I have two of the display cases from the container store, ill have to dig them out and I can take a picture of how the figures fit.

Edited by neosmosis

I have two of the display cases from the container store, ill have to dig them out and I can take a picture of how the figures fit.

I ordered a couple, but they were back ordered. I also ordered a few of these: "Amac" boxes, 1-5/8" sq. x 2-7/8" h (item 60300), which are approximately the same size as some dice boxes I got a while back for my kids (for Pokemon), if you turn it upside down and build it up a brick (which ends up looking pretty nice), it's perfect for a single figure - and they're pretty cheap ($0.79). So - I can't "rate" them yet, but I ordered a few and I'll post back with some pictures if they work out as well as I hope.

When I get a chance I'll post a picture of the dice boxes.

Edit:

5363926167_44078c6dbf.jpg

Dice cases to display minifigures. by FredJH, on Flickr

Edited by fred67

I ordered a couple, but they were back ordered.

I actually went to the Container Store this past weekend, and I couldn't find any of the 10-inch boxes. I swear, they just had them when I was in the store before the holidays. I asked a clerk about it, and she looked the item up in their inventory system. She said it's still listed as an "active" item, so it hasn't been discontinued, but it's back-ordered, with no indication of when it will be available. Bummer. Guess I should have bought them when I had the chance!!

I looked at some of their other display cases, but none seemed quite right. I almost picked up one of these, with the intent of building a second "tier" out of bricks, but then decided to wait and see if the other case becomes available again.

I looked at some of their other display cases, but none seemed quite right. I almost picked up one of these, with the intent of building a second "tier" out of bricks, but then decided to wait and see if the other case becomes available again.

I was looking at that, but wasn't sure it would be tall enough to do a second tier. There are 2 container stores in the Metro Atlanta area, but the area is so large, and they are both really out of my way (even when I head into town for work), it's more worth it for me to pay shipping than make a special trip.

That dice case is spiffy! But is the case only the clear part? Did you add all the black areas?

I'm going to be honest and have an old man moment, but I put them there a while back and don't really recall, but I think it's a 4x4 plate on top of two black 2x4 bricks.

I got the cases I ordered from the Container Store and the tops are clear. They are "OK," but only just "OK." The top is tall enough that you either build up a base so that the "seam" between the top and bottom of the case does not overlap your figure (which is what I did, I'll try to get pictures later), or you use a small plate (maybe a collectible minifigure plate) and you get the seam across your minigure, which sucks for displaying.

The problem is I tried with my slightly customized elf holding an elven spear from BrickForge, and with the built up base the spear wouldn't fit. With the built up base, the regular elf with the bow barely fits (the elf is holding it up, he could hold it at a lower angle). So... they are probably not a great choice for a lot of figures, but are great for things like chromed or special figures without large accessories.

Perhaps the next size up would be better... 60380. The largest size from that Container Store page could hold a decent small MOC... 10x10 at least (EDIT: except the bigger the container, the taller the lid... annoying).

Edited by fred67

Finally found my display cases from the container store. Here is one of the multi level display boxes in use. I have all my collectible series figures in these, one case for each series.

store link: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/display/cubesCases?productId=10022884&N=233

rsz_sam_0591.jpg

-s

P.S. yes the traffic cop and ring master are missing ... but who really wanted them ;)

Edited by neosmosis

Thanks for the details Fred! There's a Container Store 5 miles from me so I'll take some lego pieces and see what kind of trouble I can get into, har har

Lookin' good Neomsis! That looks great to display some of my speeders in a drag race or something.

Edited by DrNightmare

Finally found my display cases from the container store.

Thanks for the update, it looks really good (I have a couple of them on backorder). But I'm wondering - are the figures secured down at all? I was thinking on building the bases for it to secure them in place.

Would be nice if the height of those bases matched stacked bricks/plates.

I think it'd be neat if we built the floors and made them look like wood, stone, metal, whatever. That way the display looks even better and it gives the figures a more solid base to stand on.

And I don't mean build all the steps, just build on top of a long baseplate and place it on top of the steps, then either glue it or use some double-sided tape to keep it from moving.

Edited by DrNightmare

Mine are not secured at all, I do plan on eventually securing them somehow, just haven't decided how yet and haven't taken any measurements. maybe ill start looking into it now that there is for sure a series 4 and 5 that i'll be adding. On a side not the cases stack very nicely, though it does start blocking the light from the ones at the bottom.

-S

Mine are not secured at all, I do plan on eventually securing them somehow, just haven't decided how yet and haven't taken any measurements. maybe ill start looking into it now that there is for sure a series 4 and 5 that i'll be adding. On a side not the cases stack very nicely, though it does start blocking the light from the ones at the bottom.

-S

I was thinking that... the store said they stack, and the first thing I thought was "maybe I'll have to put lights in it," but I think that's a bit much.

I only ordered two because I don't think any of us were certain how nice it would look, so I'll definitely order more; it really looks great neosmosis.

That 3 teir case looks great, It slightly bugs me that its so tall though. Maybe I could take it to a local sign shop and see if they could cut it down an inch or so.

You might be able to use a little poster putty to hold the bases down to the bottom plate.

That 3 teir case looks great, It slightly bugs me that its so tall though. Maybe I could take it to a local sign shop and see if they could cut it down an inch or so.

You might be able to use a little poster putty to hold the bases down to the bottom plate.

I just put em up against the wall.

Don't really have room for display cases.

006-25.jpg

Series 2 and 3 complete now.

I just put em up against the wall.

Don't really have room for display cases.

That's not bad, but the problem I have with a display like that is for characters with capes, and characters like the skier (who, in my display, is actually wearing the skis).

I would prefer a small shelf with the display case on it (or, until my cases come, a homemade rack... here's my series 3).

5413784600_58f87d44db.jpg

DSCF0299 by FredJH, on Flickr

Series 1 and 2 are at work - same sort of deal, but one big display instead of a smaller one like this. The Skier is held on much like yours (by the back of the legs)... two headlight bricks on either side with a 1x4 plate facing forward between them, and the legs attached to the plate.

Edited by fred67