Set name: Loot Island

Theme: Pirates

Set number: 6241

Number of pieces: 142

Minifigs: 3

Release date: 2009

Release price: $19.99

Brickset Bricklink Brickshelf Folder

I went to the LEGO Imagination Center Orlando, USA close to my house and they had the new pirate sets which I had to buy! I bought this and the Soldiers Fort. This is my best review so far and I hope I will make better ones in the future!

There were plenty of Pirate sets down there, but they didn't have 6252 Shipwreck Hideout (which I was going to get), 8397 Pirate Survival impulse, or 8396 Soldier's Arsenal impulse. So, I decided to get the Soldiers Fort along with this set, so enjoy the review!

Box-Front:

p1000807.jpg

This is the overall image of set 6241 Loot Island, and it shows the set in action.

Box-Back:

p1000808.jpg

The back of the box shows all of the accessories, the playability of the set, and 6243 Brickbeards Bounty.

Instructions-Front:

p1000813.jpg

There is one booklet for this set as it is small, and it shows the entire set.

Instructions-Middle:

p1000818.jpg

Instructions-Comic:

p1000814.jpg

TLC has included Pirate comics in all of the sets, to my knowledge, and they are nicely illustrated with sword fighting, cannons getting fired, and the set itself.

Stickers:

This set doesn't come with any stickers whatsoever, although it has some printed pieces like the Pirate flag, soldier flag, and a map.

Minifigures-Front:

p1000821.jpg

The minifigures are what makes this set so great! The soldier has a very detailed torso like the pirates have and the stranded pirate has a really sad expression on his face and ripped pants which are exclusive to this set! The shako is printed and it has improved from the older version.

Minifigures-Back:

p1000822.jpg

The soldier has a purple/brownish backpack while the stranded pirate has a rope and a buckle on the back like the other pirate.

Minifigures-Stranded Pirate without beard:

p1000823.jpg

I have removed the beard so the members of EB can see his face. The pirate has ripped pants and a common torso. He also has a sad, ripped beard which makes him look lonely.

Animals-Alligator:

p1000828.jpg

Here are both alligator designs. On the left, the alligator with the lighter shade is the old one, while the one on the left with a the darker tone is the new design.

Accessories:

p1000843.jpg

The accessories that come in 6241 Loot Island are: A treasure chest, (with a pink diamond, an aqua diamond, and a couple of coins), two white paddles, 3 swords, a map, a fish, a telescope, and a dark brown pistol.

Extra Pieces:

p1000847.jpg

The pieces you get leftover aren't as great as in most sets, but it comes with an epaulatte, which comes in all of the sets that contain soldiers.

Vehicles-Boat:

p1000844.jpg

The boat contains a soldier flag, two white paddles, a rotating dark grey cannon, and cannon balls for the firing cannon.

Complete set without minifigures and accessories-Front:

p1000851.jpg

The island has a jail/cage that holds the treasure chest and on top of it there is a small roof so the pirates can see any boats that are coming through the telescope and a small tree with a pirate flag on top. The entrance way is a just two jail pieces stacked on top of each other and it can easily come off, and the building has a skeleton head with two yellow diamonds in it and the island has two cannons on the sand, a rock, a dock, (I'll talk about that later), a little fire, and a poorly designed tree.

Complete set without minifigures and accessories-Back:

p1000853.jpg

On the back you can see the jail/cage secret entrance which is just a big leaf and to access it you need to turn the leaf either way. There is also a small hole....which kind of bothers me a little and I think that TLC could have fixed that problem easily.

The Dock:

p1000861.jpg

The dock has two horns on the end of it and there is a small cannon. There are wooden planks but they are all messed up to give the impression that it has been there for a long time and it's old.

Baseplate:

p1000857.jpg

One of the main reasons why this set is so great is that it has this awesome baseplate! :wub: Its great to use for island MOC's and it's got to be my favorite baseplate ever!

Complete set with minifigures and accessories:

p1000862.jpg

This is the entire set which I think looks nice! The soldier shot the cannon causing it to fall and open. The soldier then jumps into the ocean trying to get the treasure while being pursued by an alligator and the pirate is trying to get the soldier! The poor stranded pirate doesn't know what to do! :tongue:

Faults:

p1000855.jpg

That is the main fault of this set. The little jail/cage isn't connected to the baseplate so it can easily fall over, but its also good because you can hide the treasure chest down there and use the jail/cage to capture the soldier.

6242 Soldiers Fort and 6241 Loot Island combined:

p1000868.jpg

I decided to take a picture of 6242 and 6241 together so you can see what it looks like!

Conclusion:

This is an amazing set that comes with some great pieces like the baseplate and the soldier boat. It has some flaws, but they don't change my perspective of the set. This set, like most pirate sets, are overpriced because this set is $19.99, but look at the pieces, 142! This set should be $14.99 and if it was, the rating for this set would be higher.

Build: 6/10, The build for this set isn't that great. It isn't repetitive, but the build for this set is so fast, it would take you longer to eat cereal! :tongue:

Design: 8/10, The design for this is ok, but the baseplate brings up the rating.

Playability: 10/10, You can do many things with this set like capturing the soldier or capturing the pirates, I don't know, just use your imagination to its fullest!

Minifigs: 8/10, The minifigs are really cool for this set like the stranded pirate, but the other pirate is common and the soldier is a good addition to your collection.

Price: 6/10, The price is really bad for this set! It really should have been $14.99 and if it were, I would've given it a 10/10.

Overall Score: 7/10, This is an ok set and I think it has some great minifigures, a great boat, and a great baseplate, which are the main attractions for this set! As mentioned earlier this set should have been cheaper than usual and I recommend that you get this set as soon as you see it! :classic:

Edited by Bonaparte

really nice little Review lego12 , I like this set and this baseplate^^ the old pirates looks great too!

Thanks for that very nice review, Lego12! :pir-sweet:

A very neat set indeed, with great MFs! I also like that neat baseplate,

altough it´s a little strange that the jail/skull thingy isn´t connected to it properly...

Overall, the playability´s nifty and the amount of details and accessory is pretty good. :thumbup:

Even the rowboat´s equipped with a cannon... somehow a substitute for an outboard motor I guess... :pir-tongue:

These reviews keep getting better. I love this set especially the baseplate and the hobo :pir-tongue: shipwrecked homeless guy. the new torso's are awesome especially the pirates and they're all double sided! Great review did you get any more Pirate sets while you were there? Also is that BP a new piece? Just a thought but if a new Clone Wars Count Dooku comes out that could be his face on the shipwrecked guy.

Edited by Skipper 24

Nice review.

Quick question;

can the baseplate be stuck on another baseplate? I noticed that there appear to be teeth on the bottom so I was wondering whether this could be placed down on top of a conventional 32x32 or 48x48 baseplate. Also, could technic pins be used to secure the jail/cage to the baseplate? I notice that there are five holes in the plate. Do technic pins actually fit in there (it actually looks like the piece that is used to secure the spiral staircases in place could be inserted in the hole)?

Thanks for your review. Good work.

These reviews keep getting better. I love this set especially the baseplate and the hobo :pir-tongue: shipwrecked homeless guy. the new torso's are awesome especially the pirates and they're all double sided! Great review did you get any more Pirate sets while you were there? Also is that BP a new piece?

Those were the only sets I got, although I could get more in the future. :pir-classic: That baseplate is a new pieces and its lovely! :pir-wub:

EDIT: Skipper24, I wouldn't think so because the face is sad.

blueandwhite, the baseplate can stick on another baseplate. I don't think the technic pins can be used to secure the jail/cage, but the pieces on the sides of the island can fit into the holes allowing it to stay on.

Edited by Lego12

Thanks for the review!

There is one thing I can't help noticing about the new Pirates-line and that is the cut down on ammunition for the cannons: in all old pirates set that included cannons one always got six bullets (a.k.a. round pieces) to shoot with and stack beside the cannons, this has gone down to two... Why would that be?

But I love the line all the same! The only thing I would change when buying this would be the soldier's head: I think it looks a little childish and naive.

:cannon:

Lego has really gone above and beyond my expectations for this theme, the minifigures are very cool.

Thanks for the review

Once again, another fabulous review. Great work!

Great review!

I'm going to get 2 of this set next year, one for a small island with a buried treasure (I know how to let it look like you could dig up the treasure, it's easy..) and the other one to build the real thing. :pir-classic:

Another great review, Lego12! Congrats on your reviewers graduation! :classic: You wouldn't be happening to make another one, would you? :pir-sweet: *begs*

Does the end of the new telescope piece fit on a stud?

This pirates line, although pricey, is great! I'm getting one of each set. :pir-classic:

That's the saddest minifig face ever! I dig this set, and surely am going to buy it next May when it's supposed to hit the (Italian) shops. Ithink this sets deserves 5/5.

This is a great review, much better than my so called "review". I think this is a really good set because it comes with a good amount of weapons, figs, and plants. You are right about the price.

Thanks for the great review! I've really been looking forward to this set... especially with that awesome baseplate! Great pics! I'm looking forward to your next reviews.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad people like my reviews!

Another great review, Lego12! Congrats on your reviewers graduation! :classic: You wouldn't be happening to make another one, would you? :pir-sweet: *begs*

Does the end of the new telescope piece fit on a stud?

This pirates line, although pricey, is great! I'm getting one of each set. :pir-classic:

Sadly, those were the only two pirate sets I could get! :pir-cry_sad::pir_bawling: I might be able to get more sets later on, though. :pir-classic:

Yeah the end of the telescope does fit on a stud. :thumbup:

Sadly, those were the only two pirate sets I could get! :pir-cry_sad::pir_bawling: I might be able to get more sets later on, though. :pir-classic:

Got to leave a few sets for other people! :pir-wink::pir-laugh:

Yeah the end of the telescope does fit on a stud. :thumbup:

That's good! It seems like it could really be great to use as a railing or for a balcony! I'm surprised LEGO didn't make one for Adventurers or the old Pirates theme!

I agree that the new telescope piece is a very good one, i can see much use for it in future sets. It already also comes to use in the new medieval market village castle set!

http://www.acapsoft.com/dropbox/xyh2.jpg

Whoa, that's exactly what I was thinking of! Apparently LEGO realizes it's use for more than just a telescope too! :pir-classic:

At first I was exited with the pirates, but now I must say, the sets are a little disapointing. I really don't like the colors they used. The sets appear to childisch and I have the impression that there is less detail. In general they look a little bit like a Lego knockoff. Put one of these new pirates next to Vikings and you really have a bad mix.

I don't see this line lasting very long. The pirates hype (with Pirates of the Carrabean etc...) is over and when there are cooler sets like Castle, Star Wars and Agents for the kids to be bought, I don't see them picking up this theme also.

Thanks for the review! I must say this set seems much better tan I thought, I'll definitely be getting it for that baseplate, very useful. The figs are great especially that poor sad castaway, and I love the little accessories like the fish and foliage.

Batbrick Away! :pir-devil:

Awesome review. I'm just noting the age group on the box. 6-12 and on some sets an "easy build" symbol? Castle managed to pull off 8-14. It looks just as 8-14ish as the 6-12 one. Not complaining, just wondering. I might get this and Brickbeard's Bounty to make a pirate base and ship. I love the Ship's Cabin and the Captain as well as the maiden and hull. With Loot Island, I'd have two enemy ships, one with a cannon and one with a rifle, plus an deceript island for the crew.

I've voted for "average." I think this set is praised more than it deserves. I don't find it so appealing. Am I the only one who doesn't like that baseplate? I'd have loved to see a baseplate made of many bricks instead of one big piece. Maybe the set can be sold for a lower amount of money with that baseplate instead of lots of bricks with which you could build a baseplate. The baseplate reminds me of Playmobil.

Anyway, thanks for that nice review!

Edited by legotrainfan