Sign in to follow this  
Natman8000

6239 Cannon Battle

This nifty set is part of the new line of pirate sets. These sets were very much anticipated from almost all LEGO communities; we all were so excited to have the pirates line back. I for one was happy. I got many of the old pirate sets. But does this shape up to the incredible predecessor? Let's go see!

Name: 6239 Cannon Battle

Parts: 45

Theme Pirates II

Minifigs:2

Price: US. 5.99, UK. 3.89, EUR 4.39

Year Released: 2009

S@H

Peeron

Brickset

S@H quote-

Box Art- The new pirate boxes are really nice and creative.

3462567454_b3959e7733_o.jpg

All the parts- A nice selection with bright colors, very eye catching.

3450396823_baf867e732.jpg

The Minifigs: The selection of minifigs in the set is really great! I really like the double sided torso since they add a good level of detail. Just a note- I lost the head it came with so I put my own similar one on. I was just planning on reviewing this set then I couldn't find the head! I panicked and just used this one. My pirate is a dumb one now.

3451212042_d03057359a.jpg

Great detail here... I love the pouch design.

3450396681_a1bcb5f4ce.jpg

The Set: First, let's start with the rock. It starts off with a base and plants-

3451212466_ba6c0e8075.jpg

And then we add some breakable rocks- Disappointed with the pearl part, a bit out of place. This piece is way too common.

3450397159_82b7ba4514.jpg

And were done with that.

And now the cannon

The main base

3476982993_81edfd2d5f_o.jpg

A little more- Very solid and colorful, I really like the red and brown color.

3477790640_a422019215.jpg

And its finished! It sure looks like a cannon. A nice feature would be the holders for items. The cannon shoot quite far. I don't shoot it that often but when I do, it is a really hard task to find the bullet.

3477790676_e5f5aeda80.jpg

The whole set together- Lots of fun! I would have tons of fun with this if the rock wouldn't stop breaking!

3450396389_924797d635.jpg

3477738532_cf112d89a9.jpg

3477738748_2160b181ae.jpg

Thoughts and ratings:

Price: 9/10- For a set like this it is a fine price, you get good figures and accessories. Typical of a 5.99 set.

Build: 7/10- The build is alright, very solid but there are some typical and overused techniques used all over. The cannon is nice with the red parts.

Parts: 9/10- This set comes with many extras, such as epaulets, rapiers, guns and a guns. There is no lack of good parts here. I am really happy with the inclusion of a rifles and epaulets.

Minifigs: 8/10- I would give them more points, but I feel that these are very typical minifigs and don't show too much creativity on LEGO's part. I feel that they are great figures for an army, but still were just missing that extra zest to make them perfect. Compared to the classic pirates, they are very detail and precise. The older pirates were a tad more original facially in my opinion.

Overall: 8.25/10- This a really great set. It has many valuable things in it. It offers fun playability for the kids with the firing cannon. For some, it is a magnificent army builder for your pirates and soldiers. Or for those like me, it is good for someone who wants to get a nice taste of pirates with out paying a lot of cash. While it may of lacked a bit on the build, it certainly made up for it on the fun factor!

Awesome review you got there, a pleasure to read it. :thumbup:

I haven't the cannon battle set yet so I was planning to make my own.

The cannon layout was very helpful. Thanks!

I haven't the cannon battle set yet so I was planning to make my own.

Are you serious? You must be kidding yourself! I buy at least one a week with the grocieries!!!

I have like.... at least 10 now! Freakin Steve has like 900 of them! Go buy some! Stop cheating yourself!

I have to say that I give this set a 10/10.

That's right, I think its perfect!

The way I look at it is that if I wanted to buy JUST the minifigures on ebay or elsewhere it would cost me more than $6. We haven't started talking about shipping yet! Then you get a cannon with a nice setup under it, some useful bricks and a couple vegetation pieces which to me are just neat extras.

I love this set, and whenever I have spare bucks, I pickup one or two.

-Super

I have like.... at least 10 now! Freakin Steve has like 900 of them! Go buy some! Stop cheating yourself!

-Super

Dude, that actually made me laugh out loud when I read it (and not the typical LOL)....besides it's only 100+

I agree go buy one, you will spend twice the amount of money trying to build one.

Read this review on Wednesday; happened to be in the LEGO store in downtown Chicago, and so I grabbed one of these. Definitely worthwhile.

Worth noting, perhaps: the pirate minifig didn't have the head shown in the OP's close-ups, but rather the one shown on the box.

Read this review on Wednesday; happened to be in the LEGO store in downtown Chicago, and so I grabbed one of these. Definitely worthwhile.

Worth noting, perhaps: the pirate minifig didn't have the head shown in the OP's close-ups, but rather the one shown on the box.

I'm glad I convinced you.

Did you read this-

Just a note- I lost the head it came with so I put my own similar one on. I was just planning on reviewing this set then I couldn't find the head! I panicked and just used this one. My pirate is a dumb one now.

I hope you weren't expecting that one.

I bought 2 of these wonderful little sets. I want at least 4, maybe 5 if I feel a greedy when I see it at the store. Good review Natman8000 :thumbup: