Review: 9490 Droid Escape

20 replies to this topic

Poll: On A Scale 1 To 5 (30 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Set?

1. - Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. - Below Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. - Average (13 votes [43.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

4. - Above Average (14 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

5. - Outstanding (3 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

When we got the first pictures of this set I thought; "Well that's a good deal for $20."  As I went on my hunt for SW LEGO at TRU, I looked for the Geonosian Cannon first, I was going to pick this one up second, but they were sold out, so I picked this up.  It had looked like it was worth the money, but I just wasn't sure until I held the box in my hands.  You guys know I'm all about the minifigures, so with three new ones, I could not get this.  Enough talking though, let's get started!

Name: Droid Escape
Set Number: 9490
Pieces: 137
Price: $19.99
Ages: 7-12
Minifigs: 4
Theme: Star Wars
Year of Release: 2012
Bricklink
Brickset
S@H

See the Flickr set for more pictures.

LEGO S@H said:

Posted Image

Land the escape pod and hide from the Imperial sandtroopers!

C-3PO and R2-D2 have the secret plans to the Death Star, and must avoid capture by heading to the desert planet Tatooine in their escape pod. Will they land safely and avoid being captured by the Imperial Sandtroopers on their swoop bike? Includes 4 minifigures: C-3PO, R2-D2 and 2 Sandtroopers.

Box:
Posted Image
The front of the box has the excellent Maul art, and it seems that the "Droid part" jumps hands between the pictures.  We've got a large "Warning" image, which manages to block some of the box art.

Posted Image
On the back of the box has the same lovely blue color scheme as the front, and LEGO has designed the images in quite a "Star Wars" way if you ask me.

Posted Image
The 1:1 image is of one of the new Sandtroopers, along with the "new" image.

Contents:
Posted Image
So we've got two bags, two loose pieces, the manual and the sticker sheet.  Large parts usually aren't put into the bags, as usual.

Posted Image
The sticker sheet is very large, with six stickers, none of which I will apply.

Manual:
Posted Image
We've got the same art as on the box here on the manual, though it's a much wider print.

Posted Image
The inside is quite clean too, a light tan and a nice gray color scheme.

Posted Image
Darth Maul appears in the top right corners where there is room.

Posted Image
A good looking layout of the set on one of the last pages, a good blue color.

Posted Image
There's a simple one page "comic" on one of the later pages.

Posted Image
Again we see a one page ad showing what figures come in what set.

Posted Image
And then on the next page we have a great layout of all of the minifigures in every set.

Posted Image
For some reason, we've got a one page ad for Ace Assault II in here.

Posted Image
On the second to last page we've got an ad for LSWIII, why we have an ad for this a year after it came out, I don't know.

Minifigures:
Posted Image
My favorite part of most sets, the minifigures!  LEGO has done a complete overhaul of all of the figs but R2.  C-3PO is a much better color, the two Sandtroopers, and have totally new print including sand to complete the dirty effect.  I just can't get over how amazing these figures are, I'm still drooling over these guys.

Posted Image
The Sandtroopers have backpacks just like in the film, and 3PO has some wires showing on the back too.

Posted Image
R2 and 3PO are both really nice, though R2 isn't new.  C-3PO is though, and he looks so much better, the droids are really the duo in all six films.

Posted Image
A quick comparison between the 3PO that came in the original and the new one.  The new one is so much better, printed eyes, exposed wires, better colors, need I say more?

Posted Image
LEGO is no printing faces onto the black heads, making a great Clone head.  I really like this addition.  I will say that I've moved the pauldrons above the back brackets so that they don't become mashed.

Posted Image
These guys are so detailed; they even have sand printing on their backs.  It really adds a lot to the overall figures.

Posted Image
I do happen to have a Dewback, and the Sandtrooper really enhances the creature.

Parts:
Posted Image
We've got three interesting parts in this set, a half circle brick, the curve wall brick, and the cone piece.  While none of them are new, they're rather rare in my collection, so I've included them here.

Posted Image
We've got four extra parts, no cheese slopes in this set, but the chromed 1x1 plate is good to have another of.

The Build:
Posted Image
First you build the speeder, nothing special, but you use some good parts to build all of the angles.

Posted Image
Then you build the bottom half of the escape pod.

Posted Image
And then build the top out of about seven pieces, really simple.

Posted Image
Here are the two small items that the set includes instructions for.

Complete Model:
Posted Image
Ah the joy of completing building a set.  Overall, I really like it, the minifigures are great, and it's just so much better looking than the old one.

Posted Image
I have no idea what this speeder is based on, but it is a fun little build.  We've got two little air scoops on the front, not sure where the air goes.

Posted Image
The back is pretty ugly; all of the structural bits are visible here.

Posted Image
Now onto the escape pod, I'm not too sure that it had thrusters on the front, other than that it looks pretty accurate.

Posted Image
And the back has a fairly nice looking engine array, the whole 'pod is very clean.

Posted Image
You can remove the top to play inside, though it's rather small.  I wouldn't want 3PO piloting though.

Posted Image
I really like the angles that the engines are built in, it's really just cool to look at.

Final Thoughts:
I'm really still in love with the minifigures from this set, even six months after it came out.  I definitely bought this for them; I had most of the parts already.  The rest of the really is lacking, the minifigures really are the selling point of this for me.  It is always good to get some brown parts though, I still don't have enough.  There is some playability, but I wouldn't recommend crashing your set into the floor, or sand for that matter.  Where the speeder came from, I don't know, probably just to bump up the part count.

Ratings:
Playability: 6/10  While there's not too much to play with totally in this set, you can play with it a good bit.
Design: 7/10  It's definitely an improvement over the first iteration of the set, but still nothing too special.
Price: 8/10  The prices was okay, $20 is a good median price point, and with 137 parts it's not an awful deal.
Minifigures: 10/10  Three completely new minifigures, all of which are gorgeous, get's this set a 10.
Parts: 9/10  LEGO has done a very good job making use of the parts they already had to build this set.

Total: 40/50  Forty-out-of-fifty is a good score for a midsized set.

Posted Image
"How did that come out of me?!"

Want to learn to make excellent reviews like this one?  Then join the Reviewers Academy!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#2 Bob De Quatre

Bob De Quatre

• Meanwhile in tumbleweed town...

Member: 29683

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

Nice review  :thumbup:

I'm new to the whole minifig thing, but these seems very detailled, and 4 in a small set lie this is great.

But I'm wondering if that speeder will work well with all that sand  :hmpf_bad:

Posted ImagePosted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#3 K-Nut

K-Nut

Member: 19691

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Nice review. I never thought this set was that great. It's really just an escape pod with nohting to hook onto, not even like a spaceship that you can fly around for hours. :sceptic: But I may pick it up for the figs, just because they're awesome. :tongue:
My Collection

Posted Image

Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats

#4 Hartfan

Hartfan

Member: 7523

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Great review. I really like this set.
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be...

#5 Gandalf the Purple

Gandalf the Purple

Member: 29691

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Love the set, the Sandtroopers( :wub: )  are great!
I am not Gandalf the White, nor Gandalf the Grey, but Gandalf the Purple.

#6 Hawkman

Hawkman

Member: 28502

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostBob De Quatre, on 16 July 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

But I'm wondering if that speeder will work well with all that sand  :hmpf_bad:

A similiar one worked well enough for Anakin on Tatooine in AOTC...  :classic:

Great review. The set itself is just not exciting enough for me. I have Luke's Landspeeder, so I already have a good C-3PO, R2, and a decent Sandie. The Sandie detail and orange pauldron in this set are nice, but not enough to warrant a purchase. An excellent review - thanks for posting it.  :thumbup:
I used to be a Lego Maniac, then I took a 1x4 brick in the knee.

#7 legomr

legomr

Member: 28909

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Great review. I thought the set is pretty decent. I especially love the big conical half-shells which you otherwise get only in much more expensive sets.

#8 tvih

tvih

Member: 29478

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Nice review. The minifigs indeed seem nice, although I must say that while the Sandtroopers look nice, regular stormtroopers would work better with the stuff I have planned.

Biggest problem is the price though. $20 is indeed nice as you say, but 30 euros - the price in Finland - is just too much for what's included Posted Image

#9 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks guys!

View PostK-Nut, on 16 July 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Nice review. I never thought this set was that great. It's really just an escape pod with nohting to hook onto, not even like a spaceship that you can fly around for hours. :sceptic: But I may pick it up for the figs, just because they're awesome. :tongue:
Yep, pretty much my thoughts.
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral

#10 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Member: 12949

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the review! :sweet:
This set really is just for the minifigures.. I'm still hesitant to buy this
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#11 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the review, Masked.

Posted Image

#12 DFOL

DFOL

Member: 10119

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

Very nice and professional review Masked Builder, thanks a lot for putting in the effort and posting it here! :sweet:

My thoughts on the set:
The escape pod has a nice and decent design, it looks like what it is supposed to be. But on the other hand, it doesn't really stand out in my collection either. The little speeder is a nice extra, but too small to be taken seriously in my opinion. I am a bit jealous of your dewback though, would've been nice to have that included instead of the speeder.

Four minifigs is nice enough for a set this small though. R2-D2 is nothing special, but C-3PO has a nice new print on both the body and the head. I'm not sure what to think of the Sand Troopers though. Their exquisitly detailed printing puts them among the finest minifigs recently released, but the sandy spots only makes them suitable for a desert environment which limits their use.

The official retail price in the Netherlands is 27,99 EUR. That's rather a lot for a mere 137 parts and 4 minifigs. I received this set as a gift and i enjoyed it, but i don't think i would have spent quite that much money on this set myself.
Dutch Fan Of LEGO

#13 Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins

Member: 28477

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Great review, the Sandtroopers are simply awesome. :cry_happy:

#14 The Blue Brick

The Blue Brick

Member: 18793

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

The set is great for the figs, but nothing else. I love the new sand trooper heads.  :wub:

Sadly, I won't be buying this, mainly because of the price point.

Edited by The Blue Brick, 18 July 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#15 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thanks all!

View PostThe Blue Brick, on 18 July 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

Sadly, I won't be buying this, mainly because of the price point.
I buy a lot of sets under $50 so this was a good price point for me.
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral

#16 THENOOB

THENOOB

Member: 29781

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

May pick it up for the fantastic minifigs.

#17 BrickCommander

BrickCommander

Member: 17008

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

For a $20 price point this is a really nice, classical Star Wars set. The designer made the most out of a rather dull assignment: make a new set with an escape pod including the usual suspects and 2 sand troopers. The pod is much more accurate and functional than the can from the first version, and there even was enough money left to add a small swoop bike.

#18 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

View PostBrickCommander, on 20 July 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

For a $20 price point this is a really nice, classical Star Wars set. The designer made the most out of a rather dull assignment: make a new set with an escape pod including the usual suspects and 2 sand troopers. The pod is much more accurate and functional than the can from the first version, and there even was enough money left to add a small swoop bike.
I agree with you there, totally seems like it.
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral

#19 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

• Help Me Build Hogwarts!

Member: 18405

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

Nice review of one of my favorite sets! I love the detail and thought put into these figs - it really pays off!

#20 Leo Crimson

Leo Crimson

Member: 29250

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

Great review on what looks like a set worth buying. I really like the detail on the sandtroopers; plus their backpacks come with pieces that could be used as lightsaber hilts.

#21 just2good

just2good

• Bothan Spy #8

Member: 4916

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

Excellent review, 'Masked Builder'! :thumbup:
I always say this with these nice 2012 Star Wars sets, but this set is great. I'm really coming close to buying one of these new sets...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users