Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

Sharing session for our EB Special LEGO Themes forum

Dear all,

With the various clusters of unsorted LEGO themes which can't be grouped in any of our mainstream EB forum, these themes comes under EB Other LEGO Themes Forum.

These are some of the themes which are commonly disucssed in this forum,

• Architecture
  • Belville
  • Boardgames
  • Creator
  • Fabuland
  • Racers
  • Sculptures & Mosaic
  • Vintage Minifigures Collection

and, and, and, etc...

Non-official LEGO related themes such as military or some real odd looking stuff that can't be group in any of the above can also be found here. Care to share your thoughts, views on how we can improve this place and what you could like to see in the future. I am not saying the improvements will be made immediately or can be implemented upon request but at the very least, you could share these thoughts or even comment on how the EB LEGO Other Themes forum fare.

WhiteFang

It is quite an eclectic mixture of themes, isn't it? Personally, for quite a long time when I first visited EB I didn't look in this forum. However, I really like Creator sets so now I visit it quite often. It would be nice if reviews and alternate designs for Creator sets weren't mixed in with all of the other threads, but I would guess that the number of threads that are Creator related wouldn't justify a forum of its own. I wish I could come up with an idea on how to better organize this forum, but I'm really at a loss. Perhaps Current themes split off from MOCs, misc, and retired themes?

Perhaps Current themes split off from MOCs, misc, and retired themes?

Unfortunately, there is no single formula to solve all problems, but what we can do, is to work with the current resources that we have. Right now, the pinned topics with the exception of the MOC indexes which is quite outdated, other than that, the relevant key interest topic are completed.

It is not going to be easy to sort them out but with some useful indexes, it will help but I want to do it if there is enough interest in it to see people utilising the given resources, because all of these will require a large amount of time to get it done and to maintain it.

I think this forum could be really improved by giving it it's own banner with themes such as Creator, Racers and Fabuland and all of the other popular themes all mixed together. That would give this place an unique touch to it. But that's all I can really think of for now default_classic.gif

The banner suggestion is a pretty good one. All the major themes within 'Other themes' (Fabuland with it's loyal fan base here, Creator, Racers, maybe some of the other themes you mention) could be represented in the banner. Together with a fitting skin, it will give the forum it's own 'face'. :classic:

As to the reviews: For the major themes, maybe you could split the reviews index in separate threads and make one central reviews index topic (because there would be too many pinned topics if every reviews index was pinned) to link them in. There will always be an 'other themes' reviews index though because not all themes are big enough.

Personally, I don't care for MOC indexes and don't think I've ever used them...

I think this forum could be really improved by giving it it's own banner with themes such as Creator, Racers and Fabuland and all of the other popular themes all mixed together. That would give this place an unique touch to it.

The banner suggestion is a pretty good one. All the major themes within 'Other themes' (Fabuland with it's loyal fan base here, Creator, Racers, maybe some of the other themes you mention) could be represented in the banner. Together with a fitting skin, it will give the forum it's own 'face'. :classic:

Excellent idea. I have place a request to our graphic artist. Time will tell if it will be a reality. :wink:

As to the reviews: For the major themes, maybe you could split the reviews index in separate threads and make one central reviews index topic (because there would be too many pinned topics if every reviews index was pinned) to link them in. There will always be an 'other themes' reviews index though because not all themes are big enough.

I will look into this. Right now, I am integrating them in a single thread, like what many other theme forum is doing. I do sort them by category and those frequent much popular category like Creator is much complete unlike the rest.

Rick's idea is a good one I think. If you want examples, look at the Mafia Games Index that Draggy has made, or the RA Reviews index that KimT has made (I hope it was Kim, I didn't bother to check. :blush: )

Those indeces just have a linked list to the other posts in the thread in the first post, and then each subsequent post deals with a one Mafia game. It should organize things pretty well.

Those indeces just have a linked list to the other posts in the thread in the first post,

Yes, it could also be an index with links to posts within the same topic instead of separate topics for each theme... that's perhaps even better and more manageable.

Yes, it could also be an index with links to posts within the same topic instead of separate topics for each theme... that's perhaps even better and more manageable.

That's what I meant. :blush: I guess I tripped over my words trying to express my thoughts.

Anyway, the Mafia Games index shows exactly what I was thinking.

Shouldn't the topics about Collectable Minifigures be concentrated here as well? I don't think they fit the General Discussion & News section very well, especially since there's so many topics about them there.

Shouldn't the topics about Collectable Minifigures be concentrated here as well? I don't think they fit the General Discussion & News section very well, especially since there's so many topics about them there.

I think that's a great idea. It will also bring a lot of traffic into this forum, and hopefully increase the exposure of the rest of the content. I also think it might be a good idea to have a themed month once in a while (obviously when there isn't other stuff going on) - a Creator month might be worthwhile.

One thing I've learned from doing Creator reviews is that it's a theme which doesn't get much attention, but when brought to the limelight people often comment very favourably. Showcasing the theme could help :sweet:

That makes perfect sense, as they invlove almost every theme, but at the same time are not part of ny theme.

Great idea.

I think there should be two sections of this part of EB.

1) Lego themes (official themes made by Lego at some point and time)

2) Miscellaneous themes/MOCs (for military and other themed MOCs that don't fit in with any Lego themes)

I also like Sandy's idea.

2) Miscellaneous themes/MOCs (for military and other themed MOCs that don't fit in with any Lego themes)

I also like Sandy's idea.

Having the forum slit off into two different sections may become somewhat confusing to new members because some of them wont know the proper place for certain things. It could work though with a bit of work. default_classic.gif

Oh and great idea Sandy. default_thumbup.gif

Edited by The Red Brick

I think this section of the forum has been slightly neglected recently so this could be a perfect opportunity to fix that. I think for a start we need to bring in a new banner and skin with the things that should be posted here, I.E- Collectable minifig, board game fig, military...After that I think that the News and Discussion topics should be unpinned. There are so many that it looks 'off' to me. Then finally like someone else here said the review index could be posted like the Mafia games Index with each theme in a different post.

Eskallon

Anyway, the Mafia Games index shows exactly what I was thinking.

Now, I get it. I was having another idea but now I understand what you have meant and it is definitely better than what I have in mind. I will take note of it.

Great suggestion. Thanks Sandy. I will discuss this with the Staff.

Sub forum? Hmm, it is not encouraged to have too many sub forum as it will results in confusion. Let me first settle the one that are highlighted and we could progress it from there.

After that I think that the News and Discussion topics should be unpinned. There are so many that it looks 'off'

Are you trying to tell me that there is many pinned topics in the Other Themes forum?

Good news for all! :thumbup:

The new Special LEGO Themes Pictorial Review index is now operational!

Link

Collectable Minifigures Series discussion will be officially belongs in this forum! I have moved quite a lot of topics in here and if you have spot any other relevant topics out there, except for the reviews, let me know by posting the topic links in here. Thanks.

In addition, there is also a formal News index. Can anyone please help me to dig out Series 1 and Series 2 News discussion? I am having a little problem with that. :blush:

I will make a formal announcement later. :wink:

Series 2. I'm sure there's another one somewhere in the depths of the General Discussion section, but I couldn't find any :blush:

Series 2. I'm sure there's another one somewhere in the depths of the General Discussion section, but I couldn't find any :blush:

I am very certain there is somemore! Thanks for the earlier link.

The reason you couldn't find series one is because it was in the Town Forum. :wink:

It can be found Here.

I've also dug through the General Discussion Forum, and found a few you might want to move over here.

Vintage Minifigure Collection Volume 5

Vintage Minifigure Collection Volume 3

Vintage Minifigure Collection Ideas

Taj Mahal Discussion

Lego Collector's Guide Review

Lego Plush Discussion

Max Minifigure Discussion

Lego Tower Bridge Discussion

Hope this helps!

The reason you couldn't find series one is because it was in the Town Forum. :wink:

It can be found Here.

I've also dug through the General Discussion Forum, and found a few you might want to move over here.

Geez, that is extremely helpful! I will go through the links later and update the News Discussion index, so we could all find and easily locate those discussions with much ease.

Thanks cralegoboy. :thumbup:

These ideas are great!

I do like the idea of a sub-theme. There's a lot of clashes in interests in this forum, from people reviewing creator, to people making military mocs. I do think splitting it into two would help those with different interests. Though newer members may get confused, I dont really see a lot of newbies in this forum anyway,

The banner is a fantastic idea! I do love how all the different forums have their own unique banner. And Im sure something very special can be done for this forum. :classic:

The Collectable minifigs really didnt feel right in general discussion, or in town either. Other Themes seems a good fit and it will definitely give this forum a big boost in popularity. I do hope it will put a shine to the wonderful creator reviews! :wub:

A creator month is also a pretty good idea from Rufus too!

Edited by Roncanator