Sign in to follow this  
TJJohn12

MOC: Pacific Electric "Red Car"

This model has been long in progress. From a sketch to the finished piece, it's been a few years in the making.

6572203427_e67ef047fb.jpg

The Pacific Electric Railway operated in the streets of Los Angeles between 1901 and 1961. The Hollywood Cars first hit the rails in the 1920s. The largest stock in the fleet, Pacific Electric operated 160 of the Hollywood Cars at the height of their service.

2940163909_6045f760e3.jpg

A real Hollywood Car in operation (photo from Metro Transportation Library and Archive)

6572234195_8f48f36e1b.jpg

More images of the model, as well as LDD screenshots and photos of the original sketch model can be found on Flickr.

EDIT: The link doesn't seem to have worked. The Flickr set is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjjohn12/sets/72157605964329366/

I have submitted the model to LEGO Cuusoo. If you like the model, you can vote for it at:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/40

-John

Edited by TJJohn12

What an outstanding model TJJohn12, the time spent working on it was certainly worth it! Difficult to find something not to like on here. The SNOT windows look great, they have that real "vintage" look about them, which suits the model brilliantly. The curves are just right, as is the general feel of the trolley. Excellent work, I look forward to seeing more of it!

What an outstanding model TJJohn12, the time spent working on it was certainly worth it! Difficult to find something not to like on here. The SNOT windows look great, they have that real "vintage" look about them, which suits the model brilliantly. The curves are just right, as is the general feel of the trolley. Excellent work, I look forward to seeing more of it!

Thanks for the kind words, Captain! I've edited the post to include the link to the set on Flickr. The link seems not to have formatted well the first time.

-John

Awesome trolley MOC! But I have one question: your Flickr pages says you have a LDD file. Can you please upload this to Brickshelf or MOCpages for donwload? Thanks!

Awesome trolley MOC! But I have one question: your Flickr pages says you have a LDD file. Can you please upload this to Brickshelf or MOCpages for donwload? Thanks!

Murdoch,

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TJJohn12/LDD-Creations/PE-Red-Car/perr.lxf

This is an older LDD version of the model and differs a slight bit from the built model. It still should give you a fair idea as to how the car is held together. Your mileage may vary, build at your own risk, etc., etc.

-John

I read the title.....then pop in my head 'Hey, Eddie !', 'Come on, Valiant we going want the rabbit.', come now guess the film which the Red Car is featured ?

A wonderful Lego recreation ' TJJohn12 ', perfect detailing ! :thumbup:

Brick On ! :grin:

(The film - Who Framed Roger Rabbit ?)

Sorry for bumping this old topic, but I have a question about the design.

I'm planning on making two of this sreetcar, but I can't figure out if it will go round curves & switches without a problem. Can someone please tell me if if this will work? Here are the pictures of the connector and streetcar:

13316620443_DISPLAY.jpg

the connector is in this pic...

13316620411_DISPLAY.jpg

and the whole streetcar is in this one. The file is below.

LDD Streetcar model file

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Once again I'm sorry for bumping this old topic.

If the axles / boogies are on turntables or technic pins then it should go round bends, if there fixed then probably not. the coupling may cause problems if it is being pushed rather than pulled, you could try a friction pin at one end to see if that would work,

HTH

Thank you for your help spzero! The boogies are on turntables, and I will not be putting a motor in it. (I will probably just have it sit in my yard or hand push it around my track.) Once again, thank you for the help.

This is very cool and detailed Trolley I love it! :wub: I have a suggestion for the top stripe on the front maybe make it 2 studs longer,But remember just a suggestion :wink:

Great model! It really captures the likeness of the original red cars, especially with the side patterns and windows. It also reminds me of the red cars that are coming to Disney California Adventure this summer!