Sign in to follow this  
Cara

Lego Customer Service charging for missing part from a purchased set

I bought a Dino set today from Walmart, the last one they had. Upon checking it at home, its missing the dinosaur! I phoned up customer service and was told that because the set is discontinued I would have to buy the dinosaur.

As I'm sure we all do, I buy many many sets and this is the first I've heard about charging for missing pieces. They told me the dinosaur was 34 dollars, so this set is going back to Walmart, right after I talk to my local Lego b&m store.

Have any of you encountered this before?

I have not, but I can see why they would charge for discontinued sets. Was the set from Walmart on sale? Perhaps it could have been an open set.

Yes they were rearranging their shelves and it was going to clearance. I am going to see if I can exchange it at another Walmart and if not will return it. This was the first time I have heard about them charging. I wondered if it was because it was such an expensive piece and maybe that effected their policy.

Hmm... Is this just for expensive parts in discontinued sets, or any discontinued set? If so that has me concerned. I have a whole bunch of set waiting to be assembled, most use mostly common parts, and if some sets are missing a number of parts like the Fire Brigde problem last year, that could be a problem for me. How about folks who buy a discontinued MISB?

Looks like we could use a way to inventory a set we have but do not plan to assemble soon.

Andy D

One of the big Dino's was missing? Wow. I'm guessing that that probably wasn't a factory error, but more likely someone bought and returned the set using one of the scam artists reselling tricks. CS might not simply replace that because they don't have a mechanism to consider that a "missing or replacement part" it is rather pretty much the whole of the set. Granted it still doesn't sound like the best approach to customer service.

Best option would be to return it to Walmart and see if they can cross ship a replacement set from another store. I've had some very helpful Walmart CS people for that sort of thing.

Yes, taking something like this back to the shop you know that the person behind the counter will be thinking you took the Dinosaur out of the set, very awkward all round.

Sorry to hear it was not a minor part missing.

A set being discontinued doesn't necessarily equate to TLG charging you for replacement parts. A few years back I bought a MISB 4483 AT-AT and one of the technic beams was damaged. On a long shot I contacted TLG and they happily sent out a replacement, which given it was in old grey is pretty impressive. I'm guessing in the case of the dino it's because it's a large and expensive piece that they can be reasonably sure had been stolen from the set. Unfortunately this kind of stealing out of boxes and then returning sets is becoming increasingly common it seems. As much as I'm not a fan of the boxes you have to literally rip open, I suspect they're better at preventing this sort of thing.

One of the big Dino's was missing? Wow. I'm guessing that that probably wasn't a factory error, but more likely someone bought and returned the set using one of the scam artists reselling tricks. CS might not simply replace that because they don't have a mechanism to consider that a "missing or replacement part" it is rather pretty much the whole of the set. Granted it still doesn't sound like the best approach to customer service.

Best option would be to return it to Walmart and see if they can cross ship a replacement set from another store. I've had some very helpful Walmart CS people for that sort of thing.

Definitely(rather, highly unlikely) it was actually a missing part, I agree. The weight of the set would've been off at the factory when they were being packaged.

I agree that the piece itself is way too heavy and that's what prompted Lego to charge. Had it been a smaller piece, even a discontinued one, I think Lego would have been much more flexible. I agree with their decision and I think it's unfortunate that someone obviously snagged the piece.

That sucks. I wish people were more honest. I really hope this doesn't happen to me. At least they were willing to provide a Dino for you...even if you have to pay

I had a similar incident here in San Diego. In building my collection of medium blue I bought several of the beach house sets at the local Lego Store. When I opened one of them it only contained a bunch of sealed bags of MegaBlocks!!! I took it back and the manager exchanged it, but I know he wondered if *I* was theone who did the swap. I think being a regular and faithful customer ($200 to $500 a month) helped. The box, btw, was prefectly resealed -- I usually slice the tape with an exacto knife.

After talking with some of my fellow SanDLUG members I learned his has been a growing problem here in San Diego. San Diego is where some time ago a culprit was caught making his own bar codes and putting them on Lego at TRU and Target to pay a lower price. He was eventually caught and charged with shoplifting. One of our members actually opens his boxes in the store after paying to make sure he's got a proper set, much to the dismay of the cashiers, but he does it because TRU and Target do not take back such sets. The culprit presumably uses a hair dryer to unseal the tape, make the swap and then reseals the set and takes it back. To our knowledge this was the first time he/she was ballsy enough to do it at the Lego Store (with TRU and Target being the usual venues of his/her crime).

--Mr Bill

Wow, I always consider Lego Shop boxes sancrosanct. If I want something I know will be perfect I go there vs the big chain stores I use for their sales. How disappointing all round to know nowhere is safe.

That is very unfortunate. I have heard of several types of "rip-off" scams involving LEGO, including taking the valuable pieces out, and returing the set for a full refund. That may be what happened in this case, and likely if someone is willing to do that, there are probabbly people calling customer service reporting missing pieces in order to receive high-value\collectible parts at no cost. I think you have been caught in the middle unfortunately. I suppose Lego is charging for this part maybe to combat scammers, I dunnno, but I would proabbly take it back to Wal-Mart and explain what hapened and receive a refund. I'd bring my scale and weigh the other packages on the shelf and alert them to any other ones missing this part, or buy the ones that weigh proeprly.

I went to local Lego b&m today with my box and explained the circumstances, they were really nice. I shop there regularly. I asked if they had an ex display model they'll sell me. Their dinosaur was missing pieces but they fixed me up with customer service. A++ for service in store.

I like to think there is a special place in hell for people who steal LEGO. They woud be whipped and pelted repeatedly with thousands of sharp, tiny plastic bricks, day in and day out, without a moments respite for years on end until they've felt a billion times more agony than they've caused the heartbroken children and disappointed adults they've stolen from.

Unfortunately this kind of stealing out of boxes and then returning sets is becoming increasingly common it seems. As much as I'm not a fan of the boxes you have to literally rip open, I suspect they're better at preventing this sort of thing.

Absolutely. I want to know for 100% certain that the set I'm buying was not tampered with in any way. I go to a Target in a low income part of town. The toy aisles are always riddled with ransacked LEGO sets, open CMF bags, etc.

I went to local Lego b&m today with my box and explained the circumstances, they were really nice. I shop there regularly. I asked if they had an ex display model they'll sell me. Their dinosaur was missing pieces but they fixed me up with customer service. A++ for service in store.

That is so awesome. I find the Lego store emploiyees are often very helpful and considerate. I'm really glad you got the dinosaur.