Sign in to follow this  
Kazz

LDD is it just me or.....

Is it just me or are the train wheels (2878)or similar not available on LDD? Ive been looking and I cant see them. If not, thats a bit poor, they put all other train elements but not wheels. I am hoping its just me who cant find them. I must have spent 20 mins looking. Hopefully someone can shed some light onto it. I am running 4.2.5

Thanks

Be sure to use LDD in Extended mode (View -> New Themes -> LDD Extended) before perform the search.

To be fair, the search feature leaves much to be desired. I've searched for words that have returned basically every single brick.

I just looked and searching for '74784' does bring up that piece; albeit as a complete assembly, as opposed to part 2878 which BL says is just the bracket to hold the wheels. (not that there are many uses for it other than to hold wheels, but...)

Fairly certain the bracket sans wheels does not exist in LDD. I've run into a few other pieces that are assemblies of component parts.

Fairly certain the bracket sans wheels does not exist in LDD. I've run into a few other pieces that are assemblies of component parts.

Probably because the attachment of the wheels to the metal axle is not a standard connection, so TLG doesn't want to encourage people using them separately from the bracket.

Ok thanks guys! Ive found it in the extended version. Although Im not sure why there needs to be a difference from normal and extended.

Thanks again Im glad Ive found it

"LDD" mode simply allows you to build with bricks that are currently available via Pick-a-Brick online. It's comprised of elements in colors that are available for purchase. "LDD Extended" mode has many more elements, including legacy pieces that are no longer in production (like the old angle plates with the 1x1 cutouts, finger hinge plates, etc) which can be "painted" any color you choose (even if that element never existed in that color) giving you much more flexibility, but the downfall is that you could easily use non-existent pieces. I wish there was a middle-ground where you could build something out of any pieces available, but only use colors that those pieces truly exist in.

"LDD" mode simply allows you to build with bricks that are currently available via Pick-a-Brick online. It's comprised of elements in colors that are available for purchase. "LDD Extended" mode has many more elements, including legacy pieces that are no longer in production (like the old angle plates with the 1x1 cutouts, finger hinge plates, etc) which can be "painted" any color you choose (even if that element never existed in that color) giving you much more flexibility, but the downfall is that you could easily use non-existent pieces. I wish there was a middle-ground where you could build something out of any pieces available, but only use colors that those pieces truly exist in.

Just to clarify - LDD Mode does not allow you view the current PaB selection - that was possible with DbM mode, which doesn't exist anymore.

In summary:

LDD Mode: consists of a large selection of bricks, and in colors that gave been produced in "modern" time, say roughly the last 5-8 years. It also incluedes very recent bricks, such as all the brick/color combos of the new Friends theme. However, because of some issue in the brick screening/selection process at TLG when preparing the LDD palette, some bricks are also in colors that was never released to the public, such 50990 DISC. As you can see in BrickLink, it has been produced in trans red, but was never in any set. It's possible the brick was produced for LEGOLand or so. How the BrickLink sellers got hold of those bricks I have no clue about. However, there seems to be some other problem as well with bricks available in LDD Mode, that with high degree of certainty has probably never been produced, even for LEGOLand. One example is 2498 BRUSH that exist in all possible odd colors *huh*. In this case, it may be that the brick was released for internal LEGO usage (test colors or so). Having said all this, the general rule is that LDD mode contains only bricks that have been produced and that you can buy from BrickLink.

Extended Mode: contains all the geometries/bricks in the LDD database file, so you can apply any color you want. Extended Mode contains more brick shapes then LDD Mode. You need a tool like LDD Manager to be able to verify if the bricks have been produced in those colors.