Gothic Chapel MOC

indexed.gif

01.jpg

02.jpg

Front

Back

Right

Left

(Here's a link to the gallery, once it's public.)

Hey Everyone.

This is a creation of mine that was long in the making, and longer in the completion-to-photography stage. But, after maybe three months since I first began it (at which point the MOC was merely a cutaway slice of the nave), my Gothic Chapel is finally ready to be shown here.

It was inspired after my recent trip to France and observations of famous gothic architecture such as Notre Dame de Paris or Sainte Chapelle. This structure is based primarily upon Sainte Chapelle - this is because with the wall thickness of my creation, and lack of parts, I didn't have enough to make a full cathedral with aisles and all that.

13.jpg

Attached 1

Attached 2

Cross-section

I ordered over 300 new trans-colored cheeseslopes for the windows - and I'm very happy I did. They look incredible. It was important to me to make a building that had a detailed, appealing interior - Gothic architecture's beauty is present on the inside as well as outside.

16.jpg

Sucky Interior Picture 1

Sucky Interior Picture 2

Please leave any kind of commentary, it's all welcomed - especially constructive stuff. Always good to know what one is doing wrong, after all.

Thanks for viewing! :)

-Nuju Metru

Edited by I Scream Clone

Well... I thought it was only pretty good from the first picture. Then when I saw the interior, I was blown away. My only suggestion is it needs some furnishings in the interior; pews, pulpit, altar, etc.

Great work!

Steve

Well... I thought it was only pretty good from the first picture. Then when I saw the interior, I was blown away. My only suggestion is it needs some furnishings in the interior; pews, pulpit, altar, etc.

Great work!

Steve

Well, in my original design, I had some furnishings such as lamps, pews, and things. But I decided that they threw off the scaling once i had finished the full thing (looked at the doors). I couldn't find a way to make them any smaller than they were, so they went. But thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

-Nuju Metru

Wow, great! Only qualm is that it's a bit small.

I agree. It was my original intent to built a full cruciform-floor-plan Cathedral, but didn't have enough parts. So I basically slapped a front with a Rose Window on instead of continuing with my original (but impossible) design.

-Nuju Metru

Excellent use of the trans cheese slopes. So glad you included the close-up pictures so I could tell how you used them. You really captured the look of stained glass--well done!

Marvelous! simply marvelous!

Excellent job! I really like the stained glass windows, great technique!

Excellent use of the trans cheese slopes. So glad you included the close-up pictures so I could tell how you used them. You really captured the look of stained glass--well done!

Thank you all. The windows are my favorite part - in fact, it was my creation of one window by messing around with parts that was part of my inspiration to make a full cathedral to house it and more like it.

-Nuju Metru

Oh my... this is one lovely Gothic Cathedral creation... :wub: The glass mosaic detail in the interiors are just fantastic! Superb work on this masterpiece Nuju Metru! :thumbup:

Wow, great! Only qualm is that it's a bit small.

How about the studded roof? :tongue::laugh:

Oh my... this is one lovely Gothic Cathedral creation... :wub: The glass mosaic detail in the interiors are just fantastic! Superb work on this masterpiece Nuju Metru! :thumbup:

How about the studded roof? :tongue::laugh:

Didn't have nearly enough tiles to cover all of that roofspace... :laugh: Masterpiece? I don't think so, but thank you anyway.

It's excellent - not just the truly beautiful windows, but also the shape of the building and the buttresses etc look awesome.

I like the buttresses too - it's just a shame that I couldn't buy any of the half-arch parts in tan on PaB. That would've looked better, I think.

-Nuju Metru

Didn't have nearly enough tiles to cover all of that roofspace... :laugh: Masterpiece? I don't think so, but thank you anyway.

Oh no, I have no problems with the roof, it looks perfectly fine to me. That studded-roof comment was for actually for 'the self-proclaimed studded-roof hater', ThatGuyWithTheBricks. :laugh: And that's already a masterpiece by my standards. :thumbup:

That creation is downright gorgeous, I love the stained glass effect. Bravo on a job well done.

Those stained glass look really beautiful.

I'm just wondering, while looking at them, if they are attached in any way. Or are the mieces just slid in places and everything would fall down if you pushed a little on one of them?

but fantastic work. I love the inside shots.

Those stained glass look really beautiful.

I'm just wondering, while looking at them, if they are attached in any way. Or are the mieces just slid in places and everything would fall down if you pushed a little on one of them?

but fantastic work. I love the inside shots.

Thank you! Yep, they're held in by only pressure - if you see this poorly taken shot, you can see that the Stained Glass windows are all built inside a frame, which then slides into place into the wall so that it's held vertically. This is why the wall structure is so thick.

They all do fall out if one cheese slope gets pushed, yeah - believe me, it's happened numerous times when I was making them, so I know. XD

-Nuju Metru

Superb! I too am in awe of the cheese slope windows, but the overall look is fantastic. If there's one criticism it's that there are are few antistuds from the bottom of a plate poking through the gaps in the first shot, but it's a very minor point.

Great chapel :thumbup:

I really like the tiles on the interior walls and on the floor. Of course the windows are also very nice (good to have trans-clear cheeses :classic: )

Now I read how you made those windows, I think it's very skilful. And the church would be good to use for some kind of Lego-comic.

Good job!

I saw this yesterday and I was wondering why it wasn't on the front page...I guess I was a tad early :tongue:

Its amazing

Superb! I too am in awe of the cheese slope windows, but the overall look is fantastic. If there's one criticism it's that there are are few antistuds from the bottom of a plate poking through the gaps in the first shot, but it's a very minor point.

The antistuds were unavoidable - with the irregular, hard-to-work-with rounded shape of the back section, as well as the thickness of the Stained Glass frames, I could barely fit three sides in there, or cover all the gaps.

Great chapel :thumbup:

I really like the tiles on the interior walls and on the floor. Of course the windows are also very nice (good to have trans-clear cheeses :classic: )

Now I read how you made those windows, I think it's very skilful. And the church would be good to use for some kind of Lego-comic.

Good job!

Thanks! Too bad it isn't minifig-scaled, then...

-Nuju Metru

Geez, Aaron, not only do you make an awesome MOC, but you get me to come back on EuroBricks after months of not having done so.

Because even though I've already seen this I couldn't pass up posting here so everyone else knows my feelings, too. =P

So yes, it's awesome. The stain glass is especially awesome. But that's already been said about a hundred times [and rightfully so] by others. I really only have one thing I don't like about this, which has been said before: It's small. Not only in actually being small, but also in terms of thickness -- it seems a little "thin" you could say. I also think that the bell tower could have been changed [if that's even a bell tower?] because right now it almost looks non-cathedral-ish, but rather just a really fancy [and freakin tall] house with those pillar-things on the sides.

But this is a lot better than I could do, that's for sure. Great job again, buddy. I better see more from you, okay?

newso1.png