Petrae University Contest

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Member: 26273

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

This was not what I really had in mind for the university contest but it sort of built itself as I was trying to figure out a use for the yellow hexagon plates. So here is my attempt at a humorous entry:

Baronne leStrange (not to be confused with the more famous Duc leStrange who strongly insists that the two absolutely are not related in any way) used to be the archeology professor at Petraea University.

One day as he and his students were finishing excavating a great rock on campus, he lost his footing at the edge of the crater they had dug and tumbled headlong to the base of the rock. Surprisingly, he seemed to suffer no more injuries than a few bruises even though he was a bit dazed for a few minutes. However ever since the fall, he no longer has any interest in archeology but instead has devoted himself full time to the teaching of lighthouse keeping. When asked why the sudden change, the proffessor replies that when he fell into the excavation, he saw a “bright light” and then had a vision that the coast of Kaliphlin was large with many stretches of craggy coastline, yet it had too few lighthouse keepers to warn the ships on dark and stormy nights.

He has now converted the rock where he had his “vision” into a lighthouse and offers an intense three month class in lighthouse keeping so that Kaliphlin may have enough lighthouse keepers to man every last mile of craggy coastline.

EDIT: Thanks to suggestions I have changed a few details and so these first two pics are with the changes:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And now the originals:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
At first I was going to have an open back but then I decided to "finish" the MOC and put on an opening back.

Posted Image

The students must keep the light lit 24/7 and take turns sleeping in shifts. They also must practise climbing rope ladders and rickety staircases.

Posted Image

This MOC has a lighting function but as this is my first time to try and photograph, the lighting effect didn't show too well.
Posted Image

Edit: Changed the window panes and added photo of back.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin, 22 November 2012 - 03:24 AM.

Come explore the lands of the Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Wonderful build and story! Great use of the yellow panels and the opening back is perfect :thumbup: Excellent fauna as well :classic:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentleman, Farmer, and Protector in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#3 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

• Propping up Historica's freedom

Member: 27955

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Very creative idea, though I'm not sure I quite got how it ties into the universtiy (except, I guess it is a professor/class).   Nice rock work anyways, I like the beacon/lighthouse on top as well! :thumbup:

Ageven Deraim, Lord of Auner, Representative of Qarkyr, Graduated Doctor of Petraea University, Vice Admiral of Kaliphlin Fleet

_Posted Image___Posted Image___Posted Image___Posted Image

--Check out the Guilds of Historica!--gid617--Flickr--The Brick Blogger--

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, and your house."

#4 mrcp6d

mrcp6d

Member: 32887

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

This is pretty cool!  I like the rope ladder, never seen the droid arms used like that before; the horizontal LURP (Little Ugly Rock Piece?); and the half timber structure coming out of the rock is a fun idea. I do think the yellow window in that section could really use some red shutters, and maybe a different color for the panes.

#5 Penkid11

Penkid11

• Continuing adventures planned

Member: 29100

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

Who would have thought that Lighthouse Keeping would be a class at a University? But in all seriousness, who at all in Historica has a light house on there coastal lands? Burrium, although not ocean-coastal, has five four beacons along the east river of Avalonia, facing Darwynia. Their flames are big enough to be light the way.

This class must be required, especially with all the traders from Varlyrio making their way east, especially when they ride through the Mystic Isles! This build (and the story) will save future lives! Well done MK, well done.
Come and discover the Guilds of Historica!

Owlan of the Guild of Avalonia! Lesser Burrium fights for the Guild of Avalonia!     
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Check out my set checklist on my profile page!

#6 Andy D

Andy D

• Older than Dirt

Member: 12805

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

Great MOC!  The rock work is done very well, and the element is very interesting and well done as well.  Lots of interesting details.

Andy D
Less spending, more building is my plan for 2012!
Get organized and build more is my plan for 2013!
Just build more is my plan for 2014! (Good luck with that!)
Neatness counts!
Let's go sorting

#7 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

View Postsoccerkid6, on 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Wonderful build and story! Great use of the yellow panels and the opening back is perfect :thumbup: Excellent fauna as well :classic:
Thanks soccerkid6!

View PostKai NRG, on 16 November 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Very creative idea, though I'm not sure I quite got how it ties into the universtiy (except, I guess it is a professor/class).   Nice rock work anyways, I like the beacon/lighthouse on top as well! :thumbup:
Thanks and perhaps the reason why you don't quite get how it ties into the university is that it wasn't built with the university in mind. I just started building with the conical tower piece first and added elements along the way until it became what it is. Then I was trying to figure out why such a strange building would even be in existence and robuko's Duc leStrange gave me some inspiration. I then was reminded that the university build was expiring soon so I came up with the story (which I thought was quite humorous myself) imagining this crater in the middle of the university campus with this rock and lighthouse sticking out, then added the students to complete it. It may not be conventional but I think it fits well enough as it adds a bit of uniqueness and humor to the university.

View Postmrcp6d, on 17 November 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

This is pretty cool!  I like the rope ladder, never seen the droid arms used like that before; the horizontal LURP (Little Ugly Rock Piece?); and the half timber structure coming out of the rock is a fun idea. I do think the yellow window in that section could really use some red shutters, and maybe a different color for the panes.
Thanks and also thanks for the suggestion! I do not have any red shutters but I did try using the only other panes I have available. (new pic in first post) I also tried other color frames but it didn't look quite right.

View PostPenkid11, on 17 November 2012 - 01:48 AM, said:

Who would have thought that Lighthouse Keeping would be a class at a University? But in all seriousness, who at all in Historica has a light house on there coastal lands? Burrium, although not ocean-coastal, has five four beacons along the east river of Avalonia, facing Darwynia. Their flames are big enough to be light the way.

This class must be required, especially with all the traders from Varlyrio making their way east, especially when they ride through the Mystic Isles! This build (and the story) will save future lives! Well done MK, well done.
Thanks! Let the lighthouse building now begin.... :wink: In fact I've been thinking about a lighthouse design for some time now.

View PostAndy D, on 17 November 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

Great MOC!  The rock work is done very well, and the element is very interesting and well done as well.  Lots of interesting details.

Andy D
Thank you!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostMikel Kalores, on 17 November 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

... imagining this crater in the middle of the university campus with this rock and lighthouse sticking out, then added the students to complete it. It may not be conventional but I think it fits well enough as it adds a bit of uniqueness and humor to the university.
OK, that's what I didn't get, I didn't realize that it was suposed to be actually in the University (I though for some reason it was supposed to be somewhere on the coast). :look: :wall: Makes perfect sense now!

Ageven Deraim, Lord of Auner, Representative of Qarkyr, Graduated Doctor of Petraea University, Vice Admiral of Kaliphlin Fleet

#9 Penkid11

Penkid11

• Continuing adventures planned

Member: 29100

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Thanks! Let the lighthouse building now begin.... :wink: In fact I've been thinking about a lighthouse design for some time now.
Contest?
Come and discover the Guilds of Historica!

Owlan of the Guild of Avalonia! Lesser Burrium fights for the Guild of Avalonia!     
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Check out my set checklist on my profile page!

#10 gedren_y

gedren_y

Member: 14064

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

Wonderfully executed, and I agree about the change in the shutters. I think there should be a Historica wide lighthouse build. Not as a set contest, but more like the embassy builds. Maybe an open voting for a badge of some kind.

View Postsoccerkid6, on 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I believe the word you are looking for is flora. :blush: :grin: If so, you're right. That cactus is a great design. I may have to try a re-color version for an upcoming vig. I am also supreeeeeemly jealous of your volume of classic palm tree trunk pieces.
Posted Image

#11 mrcp6d

mrcp6d

Member: 32887

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

...(new pic in first post)...

Yes!  White works really well there.

#12 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

View Postgedren_y, on 18 November 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

I believe the word you are looking for is flora. :blush: :grin: If so, you're right. That cactus is a great design. I may have to try a re-color version for an upcoming vig. I am also supreeeeeemly jealous of your volume of classic palm tree trunk pieces.
Ah right you are :laugh:
I'll be building a  Mitgardian lighthouse in December, I've been meaning to for awhile just haven't got around to it yet :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6, 18 November 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentleman, Farmer, and Protector in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#13 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

I really like the building built into the rock! Ha a very classic castle touch to it which I like! That cactus is a great little detail!

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#14 Pyrovisionary

Pyrovisionary

• COMIC SAAAAAANS!!!

Member: 30624

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Ooh, I have some of those yellow pieces. Never been able to use them. But you've put them to great use!

Edited by Skyrimguy, 18 November 2012 - 04:06 PM.

Posted Image

Our Pasta, who “Arghh” in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the "strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen.

Heroica stats!

Pastafarian and Proud  

#15 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Those window panes look much better now :thumbup: , I would suggest a 4x1 (or whatever, depends on how big the yellow one you already have there is) strip underneath the window to tie the color in more though. :wink:

#16 gedren_y

gedren_y

Member: 14064

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostKai NRG, on 19 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Those window panes look much better now :thumbup: , I would suggest a 4x1 (or whatever, depends on how big the yellow one you already have there is) strip underneath the window to tie the color in more though. :wink:

Actually, taking a second look, the yellow 1x4 plate under the window should have gone over the window. That would balance the color thickness. That is the only criticism I can make. The white panes tie the window in with the other decorative elements.
Posted Image

#17 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostPenkid11, on 17 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

Contest?
Well, I was thinking more on the lines of free builds but a contest would be cool.

View Postde Gothia, on 18 November 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

I really like the building built into the rock! Ha a very classic castle touch to it which I like! That cactus is a great little detail!
Thanks de Gothia!

View PostSkyrimguy, on 18 November 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

But you've put them to great use!
Thanks!

View PostKai NRG, on 19 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

View Postgedren_y, on 19 November 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Actually, taking a second look, the yellow 1x4 plate under the window should have gone over the window. That would balance the color thickness. That is the only criticism I can make. The white panes tie the window in with the other decorative elements.

Thanks for the ideas! If only the window was 1/3 stud shorter... :hmpf_bad:  Then I could put a black crossbeam across. But I will try a white or red 1x4 plate or moving the plate to the top of the window and let you know how it turns out.

#18 Wedge09

Wedge09

• One-shot kill, one-shot kill, one-shot kill!

Member: 29763

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Really nice :thumbup: :thumbup:

I really like how you put frontage in the rocks :wink:

My gallery on Flickr, My gallery on Brickshelf as WedgeNT, My (tiny) collection & don't forget to visit my new blog Life in a Brick

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alexander Vandangant, 99-year-old male Elf Hunter in Sandy's HeroicaRPG

and proud member of Avalonia

Wedge09, proud member of the Rebel Alliance in Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka

Weyrdág, in Sandy's Cruel Angel’s Thesis ~ Downfall of Heroes

Come to ridiscover the Guilds of Historica

P.S: M¥ n4m3$ 1$ W3Ð9309

#19 robuko

robuko

• Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin

Member: 4643

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

The leStranges really are an illustrious family, aren't they?  For some reason I get a very Moominvalley feel about this.  I really like the idea and the build, it's great that you have been able to incorporate those classic castle pieces, the closed back looks great, and as always your sand and vegetation are first class.  I imagine this being a rather popular course.
:classic:
Duc LeStrange, Special Envoy of the Petraea General Trading Company, of the Kaliphlin Guild.  
We work for Peace and Prosperity through Commerce.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#20 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

I've updated the first post with the latest changes I made.

View PostWedge09, on 19 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Really nice :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks!

View Postrobuko, on 20 November 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

The leStranges really are an illustrious family, aren't they?  For some reason I get a very Moominvalley feel about this.  I really like the idea and the build, it's great that you have been able to incorporate those classic castle pieces, the closed back looks great, and as always your sand and vegetation are first class.  I imagine this being a rather popular course.
:classic:
The leStranges! :laugh:  I still would like to hear a backstory on them... I never read the Moominvalley books so not sure but if they are similar to Dr Seuss I agree as this is more of a fairytale build. Glad you liked it.

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin, 22 November 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#21 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostMasa of Kaliphlin, on 22 November 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

I've updated the first post with the latest changes I made.
Looks great!  There's no need to listen to our every word (if you listen to everybody you won't get anything done!) but a few flowers on the sill would look nice... they'd make it stand out more.... (don't listen to me, though... :tongue: )

#22 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostKai NRG, on 22 November 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

(don't listen to me, though... :tongue: )

Don't worry, I'm not going to listen to you on this one... :tongue: This build is now officially finished. :laugh:

#23 Rogue Angel

Rogue Angel

• No Longer Suffering From Male Pattern Baldness

Member: 4711

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Great story, and character incorporation.  I really like the cactus and the spiral stair.  Nice build!

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image

#24 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

First off, the build is really really well done!
The rock looks fantastic, and the folding features is really nice.

But where it's the story and the concept that totally win me over.
Lighthouse keeping class ? :roflmao:
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#25 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

View Postrogueang, on 26 November 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

Great story, and character incorporation.  I really like the cactus and the spiral stair.  Nice build!

View PostSi-MOCs, on 28 November 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

First off, the build is really really well done!
The rock looks fantastic, and the folding features is really nice.

But where it's the story and the concept that totally win me over.
Lighthouse keeping class ? :roflmao:
Glad you guys liked it! I went back and looked at the first tower I posted here and I'm thinking that in another year or so I will see so many things here that I could have improved. :laugh:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users