Sign in to follow this  
Smitty500

[MOC] Armored Assault Tank

This is my Custom AAT. Like many others, I did not care for the "Bubble" shape of the front of the tank. While a great solution, not very accurate. I thought the 6x6 slope fit perfect, as well as the cheese slopes on the side. The size of the ship was based off the slopes, so it may be slightly smaller than minifig scale. I tried to pack as much detail as possible into it as possible. Including front hatch, rear deployment ramp, and rocket launcher openings. My favorite aspect is the open holes for the launchers.

1430604291m_SPLASH.jpg

1430604303m_SPLASH.jpg

1430604358m_SPLASH.jpg

1430604371m_SPLASH.jpg

Full Gallery: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/411730

I know some of the color, like the grey dish and dark grey cone, don't fit well, but it was all I have at the moment, and will replace as soon as I can. Let me know what you think!

Great AAT! Much better than TLG could have designed it. I would suggest using some dark tan over the brown parts if the parts are available in it. Did the TLG set act as a good parts pack for this? I wanna try something like this at some point.

Thanks everyone!

Great AAT! Much better than TLG could have designed it. I would suggest using some dark tan over the brown parts if the parts are available in it. Did the TLG set act as a good parts pack for this? I wanna try something like this at some point.

Some of referance images I used, had both dark tan and brown in it, I incorperated where neccessary, especially on the "ramming" portion. I did like how TLG's version used the dark tan over brown though. I built this from scratch actually and don't own any official version. 90% of the pieces I had gotten from bricklink. But looking at the official version, there is probably only a few pieces that would be in my model.

Great model, It's more than a bit smaller than mini fig scale though: the actual thing is at least 50% bigger.

Awesome! Can you post an lxf?

Sure, Here it is. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/smitty500/starwars/aat/aat2.lxf

Great model, It's more than a bit smaller than mini fig scale though: the actual thing is at least 50% bigger.

I realized it was pretty puny after awhile, though not too far off. I'd say this is 30% smaller. I did end up finding some of the original rounded plates on bricklink, and bought those to put on. looks a lot better.

Sorry about that. All those loose scattered pieces can be deleted. They were for ordering pieces. The file is a tad outdated, as I build what I can digitally, then make modifications to it once I get it mostly put together.

Actually, this AAT is perfectly up-to-scale, if you look at this picture:

Ep1-014_display.jpg

Then again, you guys may be looking at different sources. Still, as this is a technical readout, I think this will be more accurate unless you are looking at the real thing.

This was one of my sources, I don't think its too far off from scale. It's hard to replicate thin armor in brick form, LEGO was not meant to match up to real scale. in Reality, if minifigs were equal to humans, everything would be short and super wide.