Sign in to follow this  
Pellaeon

The various Messrs. Freeze

Hey Batman! Chill... (sorry)

7126071367_61ee356dfe_n.jpg

I do a fair bit of semi-purist minifig customization, but never post anything in the MCW forum. Well, that changes today! I've been tinkering off and on with a custom Mr. Freeze, and I'd like to share some of my work here and maybe get some new ideas from you guys.

We'll go in chronological order, starting with my first (vary minor) variation on the official figure. I think it's hands-down better than the official fig, but it's nothing too exciting. All pictures are links to flickr...

6979836830_70eb6b1834.jpg

I really hate that helmet, and would prefer to use a clear dome piece to replicate the look from Batman: The Animated Series. That piece doesn't make for a good helmet (trust me, I tried) so I decided to try my hand at a brick-built Mr. Freeze "hard suit" based on designs from the flickr Lego hardsuit group. Here's my first attempt:

7125922501_05b2c348b3.jpg

My goal was to make the smallest hardsuit possible, and this one was just too big (compare with Batman for scale). Take two, using very different construction techniques:

7125921431_bec9f1aa59.jpg 6979833214_509255e522_q.jpg

Not bad, but I think it's still too bulk and it's too skinny in the middle—it's not really plausible that a minifig could be wearing this suit. And like all minifig-scale hardsuits, it's rather flimsy and unstable. :sceptic: So I went back to minifigs wearing armor!

I've considered using the Atlantis armor, but there are no good visor options. A guy who goes by bogey175 on flickr was able to strip the chrome off an astronaut visor to make a clear-visored version of the Atlantis armor. It looks great but that clear visor seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Mr. Freeze by bogey175

7076947563_6b831d6cd7.jpg

And so we come to my current favorite design, the one I featured at the top of the post: Freeze in the space marine armor from Minifig Series 7.

7125918521_2f399b349b.jpg

I Brasso'd off the silver space logos, and gave him the black ADU gun (from the space marine) and added a brickarms monopod and technic pin to give it some bulk.

6979839916_58ee31f129.jpg

This is my favorite version, despite the lack of any visor or helmet (the clear dome piece I used for the hardsuits doesn't fit). Color scheme looks good, armor gives him reasonable bulk compared to other minifigs.

What do y'all think? Do you have your own semi-purist take on Mr. Freeze? I really like The Penguin's custom figures, but painting the Buzz Lightyear armor or Series 4 Hazmat Suit is more than I can handle. :wink: Oh, and come summer I'm interested to try Darth Malgus's armor for Freeze as well!

Edited by Pellaeon

Wow you sure have gone to great lenghts with the experemental ones. I would never think of using alien conquest helmets as shoulder pads. But in the end I think the one in the space marine armour looks the best. Simple but effective. :wink:

Ooh, very nice :sweet:

My favorite version of these is the same as yours, the one with the space marine armor :thumbup:

What is the torso you used underneath it? The belt looks cool :tongue:

The version with the clear dome piece looks cool as well, but I'm not a fan of the brickbuilt hardsuits (in general) :sceptic:

Great work!!

Regards,

Mitch

I did the same thing with the space marine armor for my Mr. Freeze and although I too hate the original clear helmet piece, it looks better when paired with the space armor.

Great fig(s). I really like a couple of the guns you have there. The final product gun is great, and the tommy gun with the 1x1 trans cylinder on the end. So simple, yet brilliant. :thumbup:

That's fantastic--Mr Freeze is one of my favorite Bat-villains, and that version with the Space Marines armor seems like a simple way to beef him up. Love it!

Neat.

On the last you could try a trans-clear helmet and trans-clear visor, dunno if it would look good though.

I Brasso'd off the silver space logos, and gave him the black ADU gun (from the space marine) and added a brickarms monopod and technic pin to give it some bulk.

Whats Brasso?

Those are pretty good. The hard suits are interesting, but I'm not too fond of them myself. I prefer the classic minifigure. I like your finalized solution, it's just pity he doesn't have a helmet. :hmpf_bad:

as suggested in an earlier post, why not just add the trans-clear standard helmet?

2446.gif

the larger atlantis visor is much better on a standard helmet but you can't get trans-clear without brassoing a chrome original. you can also use trans-clear standard visor but it doesn't look as good.

another alternative is to reverse the standard helmet so the back is in front and vice versa.