Sign in to follow this  
Sting

The horrors of Bley...

Has anyone seen a large group of GREY figs along side a large group of BLEY figs.. I am interested in this because looking at my relatively small collection of grey (it isnt as big as I thought...) How does it look? I have almost (painfully) decided to start collecting (...) Bley...

It is sad and probably true... I have an even smaller collection of brown(besides Boat Hulls, barrels weapons and treasure chests)... as my dark ages started in 1996 when brown started being used more widely as normal building bricks ect. So I will need to collect the new 'reddish brown' too...

Has anyone seen any good Castle/Pirate/Historical MOCs using Bley and that new crappy brown? I know that it doesnt quite have all the pieces the old grey did...

Does anyone know how long Bley will last now? I don't want to start collecting it or anymore Lego if they are just going to change there colors every 5 or 10 years...

Does anyone know how long Bley will last now? I don't want to start collecting it or anymore Lego if they are just going to change there colors every 5 or 10 years...

The colour change was bone-headed, but I don't think we'll be seeing a second change any time soon.. Actually, as a colour bley looks alot nicer then grey. Its more vibrant, and goes well with most colours. Just compare the old Millenium Falcon to the new one. Sure, it doesn't have the soft earth-tone of classic grey. That shouldn't really matter if you don't mix the two together. Of course, if your like me and have already stockpiled a huge collection of grey bricks, the colour change was like the coming of the apocolypse. In all honesty, if your collection of grey isn't that big, I would suggest collecting bley as classic-grey is only going to skyrocket in price in the next few years.

A great place to start would be the Graveyard Duel. A great assortment of bley bricks at an unbeatable price! You might even consider selling off your old grey on Bricklink to get a head start on your bley collection. Try to avoid mixing them though, as old and new grey really clash.

Later.

I realise LEGO is trying to cut colours, but there's a lot of other colours they could cut before getting rid of the traditional greys.

I hate to think what a bley BURP is going to look like!

I have to disagre slightly with the sentiment that bley goes with a wide range of colours... put it next to green, brown, blue,yellow, or any colour you use for scenery and it looks pathetic. I hate the bley...personally I would advise collecting old grey, the old sets are better anyway.

New brown I can tolerste, but never as trees... I used it here (pic=link) to what I think is good effect...

c.jpg_thumb.jpg

God Bless,

Nathan

Is Lego actually going to cut colors? They still have so many I can't even begin to keep track of them... in fact... If you haven't boguht many (new) sets in the last 5 years... you won't even have half the colors. There is light green... dark green... light red... dark red... light blue... dark blue... and also all fo the normal medium (classic) colors!

I wish they could cut it down a bit...

:| Please not another "Grey rules, Bley sucks" discussion.... |-/

Has anyone seen a large group of GREY figs along side a large group of BLEY figs..

Bley Minifigs? I haven't seen such a picture yet, but I don't think it would look too bad. First of all, Minifigs aren't one color only, so the bley will only cover single parts (hips, legs, torso) and not the whole fig. Then you probably wont get the same figure in old grey and new grey (maybe besides the Snowtrooper), that's why you wont be able to compare the old and new minifigs directly.

And finally at least light bley doesn't differ too much from light grey (--> Snowtrooper hips, almost no difference noticable when the old and new one are next to each other)

Hope this helps...

I have to disagre slightly with the sentiment that bley goes with a wide range of colours... put it next to green, brown, blue,yellow, or any colour you use for scenery and it looks pathetic. I hate the bley...personally I would advise collecting old grey, the old sets are better anyway.

New brown I can tolerste, but never as trees... I used it here (pic=link) to what I think is good effect...

c.jpg_thumb.jpg

God Bless,

Nathan

Uh oh... I have never seen Bley used as scenery or along side other colors used for scenery...

Irgh...

I would love to stay with Old grey! But I simply do not have enough right now (only a small drawer full... a bunch of which are BURPS(I like alot of the Dragon Knight sets okaY!)...(which are dark grey)

I think for someone like me collecting Bley is more logical as I think old grey will go up in price... and the last thing is higher costs...

No, we definitely don't need another one those threads!

Make take on this thread was how bley wouldn't work with other colours in our beloved historic themes.

1) :| Please not another "Grey rules, Bley sucks" discussion.... |-/

2) And finally at least light bley doesn't differ too much from light grey

1) Why not? It's a valid point :-D !

2) This is where castle and SW fans seperate 'ever so slightly'* (* understatement warning ;) )

God Bless,

Nathan

Mr Norro, are you saying that futuristic themes such as Star Wars would benefit from bley due to its metallic appearance, wheras historic themes such as Castle and Pirate would be completely ruined by it?

Mr Norro, are you saying that futuristic themes such as Star Wars would benefit from bley due to its metallic appearance, wheras historic themes such as Castle and Pirate would be completely ruined by it?

I prefer grey in space MOCs as well (when you're stubborn, you're really stubborn :-D ). I just meant that while an SW builder might not see a huge difference, a Castle fan certainly does!

God Bless,

Nathan

Whether we like it or not, bley is here for the long haul. LEGO has apologized for the change, but classic grey isn't coming back. Now, as a person with over 20,000 old-grey bricks, I won't be jumping on the bley bandwagon anytime soon. And yes, for castles bley is definitely not as nice. That being said, it doesn't look that terrible on its own. And lets face it, if you only have a small amount of grey, its not like its going to be easier to get more in the future. I suspect that in four or five years, classic-grey will carrying a huge premium over its newer counterpart. Heck, I figure that old grey may go for 5x 10x its current value. I will never make the change, but I would urge people with fewer than 2000 grey bricks to consider it (unless money is not an issue).

I'm as angry about the colour change as one can get, but I'm not going to suggest to somebody with a small collection to start stockpiling a discontinued colour. It made sense a few years ago, but unless your planning in buying 5000-10,000 bricks right now, it probably isn't the way to go.

Fortuntely with pirates grey isn't that important. Actually the most grey in a pirate set would be the base plate used in Eldorado Fortress.

Yes...

I think I am deciding to simply make a few last MOCs with old grey and start stockpiling bley...

Thank god white, black, red, and blue didn't change... that would have been murder... (well... this grey color change is murder... but more colors would have been even worse!)

It would be hard... but I had at a time some MEgablocks mixed in with my collection - it wasnt my fault! My brother bought some MEgablocks thing and my parents through it in when he was done with it!

But there black is more pale and cheap looking... the color was slightly different... it was a 'lighter' black...

I think I am deciding to simply make a few last MOCs with old grey and start stockpiling bley...

Are you going to want that grey?

God Bless,

Nathan (acts innocently)

I need some more time to think! Blueandwhite brings up the good point that old grey is going to skyrocket in price... and I don't even have enough Bley to know how good it looks... I actually onlt have it from a Star Wars Snowspeeder whcih I keep built...

Norro... I will not be purchasing any light grey for now... if I need some to finish my (possibly) last few MOCs with it... I will let you know!

Well... its hard to tell... I actually have no idea! But I am guessing it will be in the next few years it will slowly rise where it is expensive and Bley is a much better option.

I also have only a small drawer of old grey lego... alot of which is BURPS and LURPS... For me to buy enough to keep building MOCs will eventually be more expensive than it should be... and since I am a sucker for rare minifigs... it won't help.