Sign in to follow this  
Sarg_Kulo

Homing Spider Droid

indexed.gif

I played around with my dad's new digicam... I had fun *sweet*

This was what I got up to during February halfterm, still waiting for some Bricklink orders to complate the legs but it's more or less completed.

Picture001.jpg

My dad took this one, as you can see it's probably the best pic *sad*

Picture002.jpg

I had my hand over the flash :-$

Picture003.jpg

A shot from the back.

Picture004.jpg

How I attached the legs, the technic pins arent supposed to attach properly to the blue brick above it, they just help hold it in place.

Picture005.jpg

The battle shot, where you can see my modded Dwarf Spider Droid, facing my TX-130s which I built in 2004 (my very first custom)

Like I said earlier, the legs aren't final, the front left leg is how they will all look when it is completed.

Let me know what you think :-)

The reason I made them blue is because I always try and build models like how lego would :-)

But thank you for liking it ;-)

The reason I made them blue is because I always try and build models like how lego would :-)

Then you need a lot more blue parts Sarg X-D :-P

*yoda*

That's a really good MOC! :-) is the spider droid the right scale for minifigs? it looks like it is.

That's a really good MOC! :-) is the spider droid the right scale for minifigs? it looks like it is.

Round about, I don't know the offical measurements for it but I don't think it would be too far off.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Looks really Good!

my only concern is those upper leg sections, with the double 'thigh'. Having the upper leg hinged by two bars like that looks nice, but unless you can get a working piston cylinder for one of them, i'd think it actually limits the leg motion... the technic rods probably pop out of the ball joints too easily when posing...

so, if you have the parts... id consider redoing the upper leg joints with technic steering links and pnumatic cylinders... or shock absorber springs

tho the yellow would throw off the appearance, depends what you want i guess.....

I can see what you mean, however you can see how the leg swivels here, you can move them up and down, though I will admit movement is sort of limited, it moves just about as much as it needs to.

Thank you for taking an interest.

Thanks, as to your question in the other thread, you can see a lot of it's construction in the fourth shot down, the legs should be pretty obvious. :-)

Ooooo, very nice. I think that's really good Sarg, a lot better than TLC's one. I also really liked that Tank, it's very good. Looks just like the one in Battlefront. That Spider Droid goes great with your army.

Great creation Sarg! The legs are really well done. *y*

I think that's really good Sarg, a lot better than TLC's one

Did TLC make a spider droid? Or are you talking about something else... :-/

The did the small version, which can be found in the Wookie Attack. The version Sarg made was never released by Lego.

First of all, sorry to give this thread an almighty hoof from the dead.

Anyway I am trying to salvage some of my Lego collection and always had a soft spot for this model after I designed it. Generally I was never that good a MOCer and I felt that this was reflective of my best work. I am trying to accumulate the parts to rebuild this but I have discovered that the dome pieces I used for the head are only (and sparsely) available in old grey and not bluish grey. I have been rummaging around the web for the past few days looking at alternative techniques to make spheres that A. would accommodate the technic connection seen in the pictures and B. is available to use in light bluish grey.

The dome structure TLC used for the official Homing Spider Droid just didn't look that great to me and I was very happy with the original pieces I used, despite the scale of the head being slightly too small. Alas, if worst comes to worst I could always rebuild the thing in old colours but for my own sense of satisfaction I would rather a model with up-to-date pieces.

First of all, sorry to give this thread an almighty hoof from the dead.

Anyway I am trying to salvage some of my Lego collection and always had a soft spot for this model after I designed it. Generally I was never that good a MOCer and I felt that this was reflective of my best work. I am trying to accumulate the parts to rebuild this but I have discovered that the dome pieces I used for the head are only (and sparsely) available in old grey and not bluish grey. I have been rummaging around the web for the past few days looking at alternative techniques to make spheres that A. would accommodate the technic connection seen in the pictures and B. is available to use in light bluish grey.

The dome structure TLC used for the official Homing Spider Droid just didn't look that great to me and I was very happy with the original pieces I used, despite the scale of the head being slightly too small. Alas, if worst comes to worst I could always rebuild the thing in old colours but for my own sense of satisfaction I would rather a model with up-to-date pieces.

Wow, this really was a great MOC, I have never seen this before. A technique you might use is the Lowell sphere.

EDIT: 1000th post! :sweet:

Edited by Darth Nihilus

Wow, this really was a great MOC, I have never seen this before. A technique you might use is the Lowell sphere.

EDIT: 1000th post! :sweet:

It's a definitely a clever design but I just think the blocky look will detract from the smooth and relatively stoodless look of the original model. Thanks for the idea though :)

It's a definitely a clever design but I just think the blocky look will detract from the smooth and relatively stoodless look of the original model. Thanks for the idea though :)

Woot - Sarg is back!

Long time no see :classic:

The did the small version, which can be found in the Wookie Attack. The version Sarg made was never released by Lego.

Homing Spider Droid was released as a set. See HERE.

Hey Sarg, great to see you around again and still using the bricks too. :thumbup:

Have you thought of this newish part. It is available in light blueish gray on Bricklink. 8 of them might do just what you want.

Part on BL

88293.jpg