Sign in to follow this  
Darth Legolas

German World War I Tri-Plane!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Now, I've finally done it. The perfect MOC, with the perfect pictures. I'm hoping. Please don't look and leave, because I spent time doing this! It has an Indy Jones German Pilot, (with cooler pants,) but it's only in flesh because the torso isn't yellow!

To begin, here's an angle shot.

wwi03.jpg

Front shot.

wwi01.jpg

Birds eye view, showing my two custom-printed Prussian Iron Crosses.

wwi02.jpg

Close up of the Cross.

wwi09.jpg

The wheels!

wwi10.jpg

The pilot. Yeah, no face mask.

wwi06.jpg

I thought it needed a little more red.

wwi07.jpg

Side view!

wwi05.jpg

Cockpit.

wwi08.jpg

Size comparison.

wwi12.jpg

And last but not least, gallery, when public.

Please comment!

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Great work. The only thing I think you might want to change is the fact that the guns are blocking the pilots view. :sceptic: You just might want to raise his seat a bit. Other than that, it looks very authentic. :thumbup:

Edited by Spyder

Holy cow! Nice moc! Wowie! I really like how you made this. Really do. How long did it take, 15 minutes?

( :tongue:)

Very nice, my only complaint would be that the wings should be rectangular instead of those wedges.

The wheels are very nice though, did you use an elastic around them?

TT

Very nice, my only complaint would be that the wings should be rectangular instead of those wedges.

The wheels are very nice though, did you use an elastic around them?

TT

:grin: I used black wagon wheels. It looks like elastic though, doesn't it? :tongue: I feel bad, because I half-painted some other wheels before I realized I had these!

@Nateman: It probably would've if i had the pieces in front of me! The longest part was the pictures. :tongue:

Thanks for the comments!

@Nateman: It probably would've if i had the pieces in front of me! The longest part was the pictures. :tongue:

Nateman? Its Natman, never nateman. Dont forget that. :wink:

Thanks for the comments! (Again!) :tongue: I'm taking them all in a lot. I know the wings should be rectangular, but to tell you the truth, I simply found it easier this way. If you could give me some advice on how to fix the propellor I'd gladly do it. And to solve the Pilot problem, when you put him standing upright he'll be above eye level with the guns. I can simply mod on a strange sort of standing-up seat. :tongue:

Very nicely done. My only complaint is that the back looks pretty unnatural with that large curve piece. It just doesn't seem to slope down naturally, you know?

By the way, your pictures are getting better. :classic:

Great work! I like the decal on the wings :thumbup:

~Thrash

Not bad. The pilot could have been better, but that's OK. The flag on the back looks a little out of place... but it's not bad, nice build.

I'd been meaning to post my opinion about this MOC a few days ago, but as I was thinking about it got interrupted by a telephone call and forgot all about it.

Other people have already told you that the wings really ought to be more rectangular and you might move them forward a bit.

What lets the MOC down is the shape of the fuselage. If you look at just about any picture of a triplane, you'll see that the top of the fuselage is practically horizontal and that the bottom slopes up towards the tail. Right now, the tail on yours looks as though you ran out of parts. Trying to stick closer to that shape would also solve the problem you are having with the pilot sitting too low. :classic:

You'll see that the wheels tend to be attached to fairly thin stalks quite far under the fuselage. That's not easy to replicate on something this small, but you might try to see whether you can build something abit less bulky then you have now.

Despite this, the overall look is pretty good. I think the propellor looks fine, although you perhaps replace it with an actual propellor part. I like your use of a 4x4 round brick for the engine. It might not be the most sophisticated thing to do, but it looks the part. The stickers are nice. I also like the wheels, although I suspect they're a bit too big. The pilot looks fine to me and the pictures are nice and well-focused :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Ditto. It is still really good looking, and very realistic. The guns blocking view is a minor point, as it is easy to fix.

jifel

I'd been meaning to post my opinion about this MOC a few days ago, but as I was thinking about it got interrupted by a telephone call and forgot all about it.

Other people have already told you that the wings really ought to be more rectangular and you might move them forward a bit.

What lets the MOC down is the shape of the fuselage. If you look at just about any picture of a triplane, you'll see that the top of the fuselage is practically horizontal and that the bottom slopes up towards the tail. Right now, the tail on yours looks as though you ran out of parts. Trying to stick closer to that shape would also solve the problem you are having with the pilot sitting too low. :classic:

You'll see that the wheels tend to be attached to fairly thin stalks quite far under the fuselage. That's not easy to replicate on something this small, but you might try to see whether you can build something abit less bulky then you have now.

Despite this, the overall look is pretty good. I think the propellor looks fine, although you perhaps replace it with an actual propellor part. I like your use of a 4x4 round brick for the engine. It might not be the most sophisticated thing to do, but it looks the part. The stickers are nice. I also like the wheels, although I suspect they're a bit too big. The pilot looks fine to me and the pictures are nice and well-focused :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks for the tips! Right now, I don't have any of those propeller parts, but I will try to get my hands on one when I make my Sopwith Camel!

Thanks for the tips! Right now, I don't have any of those propeller parts, but I will try to get my hands on one when I make my Sopwith Camel!

You're welcome. You may know that building planes is one of the main things I do with LEGO and I'm very particular about what I like, so my comments might be a bit more critical than those by other builders. That doesn't mean I dislike what you're doing. I think it's a great subject to build and think you've done a pretty good job. The propellors shouldn't be too expensive on bricklink. BTW, they work really well in water, that is until they get caught in the 'pondweed' :grin:

Cheers,

Ralph

Wow, it looks nice.

I'll move this to the 'Other Themes' forum where it belongs.

Good work :thumbup:

nice moc, as everyone stated , I would prefer rectangular wings, but that's cool , I just wonder , on the topic's title there is

AMAZING PICTURES!

what did you mean by that ? Not that your pictures are not cool but why did you put it in the title ? ^^

Not really commenting this MOC (It looks okay to me, but IĀ“m a total noob with planes), but I need to ask how the guns would shoot without destroying the own propellors?!

I guess this is an older thread, but as long as I'm here. Nice plane. I think you captured much of the spirit of the Folker Dr1. However, as others have noted, the wing shape and the dropoff of the fuselage aft of the cockpit are important details in need of modifications. Good quality pictures also, but at this point, I think the subtext to the thread should read "Historic styled, good pictures".

Keep up the good work, this is a good MOC with alot of potential!

DJ force,

Machineguns that fired through the propeller's arc were generally synchronized so as not to hit the proplellers. However some early unsynchonized systems simply consisted of deflector plates attached to the propellers in case the bullets hit them!

Edited by Eilif

DJ force,

Machineguns that fired through the propeller's arc were synchronized so as not to hit the proplellers.

Ahh. I thought so, but I didnĀ“t think it was possible back then...