fallentomato

[Brick Flick] The Nightly News at Nine

Ha, that was again very good. You're really a master at making brickfilms! :thumbup: The movements and everything look always perfect, as is the filming and al the effects that go with it. I'm not so sure about the watereffect, though. But it still is awesome. I'm looking forward to your next films. :classic:

That was awesome, I simply loved it. The scene changes, espcially his costume change and the evolution of the green haired villian were very cool. I am really excited to see what will come after this!

Man, your story is so good. Love the punch-line, we are evil, so absurdly realistic... You master rhythm and pace really well, I guess you animate to the voice. Would be cool if you had a few words about how you work and tools you use, I think many of us have a lot to learn from you.

Patiently awaiting more!

Thor

I'm not so sure about the watereffect, though.

Yeah, I probably should have tried to make a splash out of bricks, but I didn't think about that until after I'd already animated.

You master rhythm and pace really well, I guess you animate to the voice. Would be cool if you had a few words about how you work and tools you use, I think many of us have a lot to learn from you.

Thanks! :sweet: I do indeed animate to the voice. My basic process is this:

1) I come up with a script. This SVELT commercial is part of a larger script I finalized about a year ago.

2) I record the voices. I recorded the Thug voice in April and the SVELT woman voice in May.

3) Build the sets, characters and props. The SVELT welcome area I built a while back and the orange prison was recycled from a previous animation, but everything else was built in June or July.

4) Make an animatic. First I take still images of the sets and charcters so I can get a sense of how I want each scene composed. Then I pull this into my editing software (I use Final Cut) where I've edited together all the voices. This way i can figure out how long each shot/scene should be and have a rough idea how it's all going to look. This is also when I figure out exactly how many frames each movement is going to be. I'll pick out the words where I think the character would put emphasis and figure out what motion they'll do for it. I did that a couple weeks ago for hte SVELT commercial

5) Animating! The camera I use is a Sony DSC-H7 which I picked out for having a really good close focus, which is important when your subjects are only a few centimeters from the lens. Unfortunately it can't be controlled by a computer, so I can't use it with animation software that has onion skinning so I animate "blind". Just have to remember where I put everything. I did all the animation for this commercial over the past week.

6) Editing. Putting everything together. This is where I'll add sound effects an other things. I usually do this in little chunks as I finish animating each scene. I can't wait to see it come to life after I finish animating. :grin:

Lol :tongue::grin::thumbup:

You can even learn yodeling. :grin:

Very nice film, I only don't know what Svelte would say of the name of this school. It reminds me also of a little comics made by someone on FBTB where emperor Palpatine give lesons in evilness to all kind of bad guys.

Really funny concept. I enjoyed it much. Any plan of using this for longer movies ?

It reminds me also of a little comics made by someone on FBTB where emperor Palpatine give lesons in evilness to all kind of bad guys.

Not familiar with that but here are a couple of my inspirations. The style is an homage to the Sally Struthers distance education commercials from the mid 90s. This one is a pretty good example:

While the evil overlord list didn't direct influence this movie, it certainly has impacted the way I think about villains. And then there's my childhood spent watching cartoon villains like Snidely Whiplash and Dick Dasterdly and the like. :devil:

Really funny concept. I enjoyed it much. Any plan of using this for longer movies ?

SVELT will certainly be making more appearances throughout the NNN series. In fact, my very next video will be an interview with a SVELT spokesperson about the escape of Malifios (from Out of Bonds). My plan for the series is to use these "commercial break" videos to give people a sense of the broader world of the series so the news stories have more context. Does that answer your question?

Haha I like it, and your NNN series It would be cool to have a 10 minute show with commercials. That would be funny :grin:

Haha, how funny! :laugh:

The list of degrees to take is the best joke, in my opinion, although it's full of funniness. I just love this sort of parodies.

:pir-laugh: :pir-laugh: :pir-laugh: :pir-laugh:

I can't stop laughing. Your NNN series is incredibly well-written. And I love the way you used Elsa Schneider as the spokeswoman for SVELT. But I think it would've been a whole lot better (not that it isn't hilarious already) if you had had "customer testimony" like in the TV ads. Maybe with Malifios. That guy is so funny it's almost torture! :pir-laugh: :pir-laugh: :pir-laugh: :pir-laugh: Can't wait to see what comes next!