Sign in to follow this  
Captain Golden Hook

WIP frigate HMS Vendetta

hey everyone, after seeing sebeus's new wip frigate, i got inspired to build the redcoat counterpart of it. i wanted to use sebeus's tumblehome technique, but i soon found that it ended up with a rather flat side. so i paired it up with kurigan's idea to flex the broadside, and started building! However i got stuck on making the stern. I wondered if i could get some advice, for i am rather blank for ideas at the moment. Thank you!

pics:

14306581934_9632586173.jpg

image by captaingoldenhook, on Flickr

14307154625_6a69c9d448.jpg

14303811501_4d0a7f9e0d.jpg

you can see what the stern looks like now:

14303810791_8dbe9b539a.jpg

Hi,

not much space left for the stern. I am usually stuck with almost all other parts of the ship... pir_laugh2.gif

The stern: From my point of view the stern does not have to be curved inwards like the rest of the ship. You may want to put a window to the left and the right, um, I mean, to starboard and larboard.

Then everybody does that same approach by putting the back windows in slopingly.

I tried a curved approach once which might look ok with your ship. However, it needs more space! pirate_sceptic.gif

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89555

But, as always, if I would touch that ship of mine right now, I would build a lot of things differently. pir_laugh2.gif

Quite nice so far. It seems, Sebeus unintentionally started some kind of naval arms race... pirate_laugh2.gif

For the stern I'm with Captain Braunsfeld, techniques are more or less standard, just check around for inspiration, you'll get a feeling for it.

For the rest, is there a reason for having so little fire power? Usually four studs in between cannons are enough. More guns are always better! pirate_wink.gif And I also suggest to move the mainmast a little bit backwards, say 2-4 studs, depending on your stern design.

Looking forward for more!

Regards

When I originally built Thunderchild (I can't seem to find the thread anymore), which has 4 hull mid-sections, she had 10 guns, but after finishing, I felt that was too few for a ship of her size. I think originally I had 5 studs between each gun, but I shrank it to 3 with the redesign, and now there's 14 guns, with ample room for a cabin, as well as a kitchen/wardroom (the latter of which I haven't bothered with actually building because only the quarterdeck can be removed, and that only covers the captain's cabin). If you like, I can post some pictures of the interior and exterior of those to give you some ideas.

*correction* Thunderchild can be found at http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66990#entry1222088

Edited by Cousarmy0001

hey everyone, after seeing sebeus's new wip frigate, i got inspired to build the redcoat counterpart of it. i wanted to use sebeus's tumblehome technique, but i soon found that it ended up with a rather flat side.

I can explain that :pir-grin: .The technique works best if you keep the ship low (the broadsides in particular) and the broadsides should have a rather sharp angle (which is part of the reason why the ship should be kept low).The angle I use is about the same as the one in a 2x2x2 slope brick.

I noticed you used such parts on the bow, that's how I can see the angle of your broadsides isn't sharp enough :pir-wink: .

A tip I should give is to use shorter hinges (a combination of these and these for example).

In my technique this angle has a great influence on the shape of the ship seen from above.Furthermore you will find that after adding channels for the rigging, cannon hatches, catheads, galleries, etc. the flat sides will become less of an issue.

I like what you have so far, that mortar on the bow sure is a force to consider :pir_laugh2: .As for the cabin, there are many possibilities, one that wuld suit well I think is the construction like CGH's frigate (you'll have to scroll down a bit).

But the stern I constructed for my WIP corvette would certainly work here as well.Maybe you have a preference on what windows to use?Keep it up :pir-classic: .

Quite nice so far. It seems, Sebeus unintentionally started some kind of naval arms race...

Appearently :pir-laugh: .

Edited by Sebeus I

I like what you have so far, that mortar on the bow sure is a force to consider :pir_laugh2:

Oh, I see. I thought it was a cement mixer .... SCNR

Wanna take a look at my "British mortars"? pirate_laugh2.gif

I was scrolling through your flickr stream yesterday when you posted this and I noticed you had rigged up your sloop and used the same string you utilize for anchor cables . On this ship I think you should find some form of string that might match better. The twine you use overpowers the LEGO due to its thickness and the tiny strands that always hang off. Something thinner would be best. I go for nylon but there are large assortments at any of your local stores.