Kolonialbeamter

[LDD] [MOC] 74 gun Ship of the Line WIP

Hi folks,

actually I had planned not to build another ship before the start of the Pirates' Guilds. But then Sebeus' progress on his new frigate inspired me to take up my project of a new 74 gun design once again and deal with some hull issues...

So, here goes, some WIP shots:

74wip1.jpg

74wip2.jpg

74wip3.jpg

74wip4.jpg

74wip5.jpg

The hull is build up in segments, connected by hinge plates, curved slopes (length two to four) shape the water line, side galleries are attached at the bottom this time, and I took Frank Brick Wright's advice about using telescopes for the balcony.

My top concern about the hull in this state is, does it look too slim? The waterline lenght is 106 studs, the beam measures 26 studs. If so, should I rather shorten the ship, or widen it? Any kind of idea and feedback is most welcome!

Thanks for watching.

Wow! Nice start! It always amazes me how fast you can reel out these giant detailed LDD Mocs!

I recommend widening your ship by at least 4 studs to make it look scale if you are planning on making a true waterline model

Good luck! :D

Yes, more WIP goodness!

My suggestion would also be to widen the ship a bit.

Don't change a thing about the broadsides, only place port and starboard side a bit further away from each other and widen the stern and bow.

74wip5.jpg

:wub:

Such exquisite curve, a pleasure to look at.

I wouldn't have a clue on how to even start something like this in LDD.

One of these days I'll make my very own ship-of-the-line...

Edited by Sebeus I

This looks very promising to my eyes. I don't know that much about ships of the line but I'd suggest you get yourself some plans (there are a lot available online for free) or a model ship for comparison in terms of shape and whatnot. She looks rather thin to me--elegant but thin. I think she has the proportions one would expect if built over prefabs. My real advice is to pick some plans and do some measurements to check. Other than that the shape is sweet, I am really looking forward to this!

Thanks guys for the support. Sorry, it's been a while, just didn't find any time at the weekend. Therefore progress is a little slow, didn't get as far as I had hoped...

Wow! Nice start! It always amazes me how fast you can reel out these giant detailed LDD Mocs!

I recommend widening your ship by at least 4 studs to make it look scale if you are planning on making a true waterline model

Good luck! :D

Thanks, although these ships are rarely completely new, some parts are always 'borrowed' from previous builds.

Took your advice and widened the hull by four studs, proved to be better looking, in my opinion at least.

Yes, more WIP goodness!

My suggestion would also be to widen the ship a bit.

Don't change a thing about the broadsides, only place port and starboard side a bit further away from each other and widen the stern and bow.

default_wubnew.gif

Such exquisite curve, a pleasure to look at.

I wouldn't have a clue on how to even start something like this in LDD.

One of these days I'll make my very own ship-of-the-line...

That's how I did it, widened the middle and reattached bow and stern. Sounds easier than it was, cause changing hinges en masse in LDD is a pain! I also had to change the angle of the the tumblehome, and doing so on a properly fitting structure is... yet more pain... Anyway, thank you for your kind comment, I'm sure you'll do fine building your own ship of the line, after all, you've mastered the Dutchman!

This is going to be awesome! Any plans of going to build it in real?

Thank you. I think she'll most likely stay a digital model. If building something, it'll be a first rate like Impérial. With this ship here I'm 'simply' trying to come up with some better techniques to update my three decker.

This looks very promising to my eyes. I don't know that much about ships of the line but I'd suggest you get yourself some plans (there are a lot available online for free) or a model ship for comparison in terms of shape and whatnot. She looks rather thin to me--elegant but thin. I think she has the proportions one would expect if built over prefabs. My real advice is to pick some plans and do some measurements to check. Other than that the shape is sweet, I am really looking forward to this!

Thank you. Hmm, I've long thought about using real plans, but I started this one without. I'm just using some pictures to get the general proporsions right. Using plans is so much work... But eventually I will go there... Next ship, maybe :pir-grin:

Oh, almost forgot pictures!

74wip6.jpg

74wip7.jpg

74wip8.jpg

As I mentioned I widened the hull by four studs, reshaped bow and stern accordingly, and adjusted the tumblehome. Additionally I changed the side galleries (I'm not sure about them, they are a bit 'gappy') and started giving her a 'face'.

Next step is to finish the bow, then comes the mirroring phase... wish there was a tool for that.

Thanks for watching, let me know what you think.

This is looking very good Kolonialbeamter! I would suggest this book http://www.amazon.co... ship bellona��

Ebay generally has good prices on this line of books. I own Bellona, USS Essex, and HMS Pandora. They are incredibly detailed and you will learn everything you could want to know about the ship's construction and interior. My frigate is based solely on the book of Pandora.

This is looking very good Kolonialbeamter! I would suggest this book http://www.amazon.co... ship bellona��

Ebay generally has good prices on this line of books. I own Bellona, USS Essex, and HMS Pandora. They are incredibly detailed and you will learn everything you could want to know about the ship's construction and interior. My frigate is based solely on the book of Pandora.

Thanks a lot. Concerning the books, I've been about to buy one several times, but in the end couldn't convince myself... I think when starting something based on actual plans, this can be a valuable source of information. I'll do my best to convince myself :pir-grin:

Just realized I forgot one picture, here are the notorious 'gappy' side galleries... I think I'll stick with the old version...

74wip9.jpg

Thats one big ship! good work with all the little angles. And i like that big bow spear (hope it's called that in english pirate_classic.gif )

Thats one big ship! good work with all the little angles. And i like that big bow spear (hope it's called that in english pirate_classic.gif )

Thanks. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you mean by bow spear pirate_laugh2.gif The mast, maybe (bowsprit)?

Anyway, here's more to (hopefully) be liked. I completed the hull, except for some small bits, changed a few things about the overall design, and so on. Unfortunately, now that the structure based on hinge plates proved to be working well from a technical point, it's kind of hard to motivate myself to finish her up completely anytime soon. I still have no idea about a concept of modularity, she is surely not swooshable, lacks any interior planking and at least some level of detail. But those side galleries begin to grow on me... Oh, and before you ask, the figure head is definitely up for debate!

74wip10.jpg

74wip11.jpg

74wip12.jpg

Thanks for watching, C&C most welcome.

Edited by Kolonialbeamter

I just LOVE the bow! pirate_oh.gif SO smooth, so beautiful. I'm wondering if you also watch to the Persephone. I really see you also pay attention to the difference of the French and English style of Lineships. Really love that. Outstanding work, really, I love it. Although I think the stern is going to be too small.

http://navalwarcolle...urgogne_16.html (Click on a picture to see it bigger)

Also the Quarter deck is going smaller. Maybe think about that.

Other than that, great work, I hope more to see/come! pirate_wink.gif

(Figurehead is VERY premium pirate_laugh2.gif )

Edited by Captain Edward

Wowsers, this is looking increasingly fantastically better. I'd love to see her on bricks one day pirate_classic.gif Go bunnies!

I just LOVE the bow! pirate_oh.gif SO smooth, so beautiful. I'm wondering if you also watch to the Persephone. I really see you also pay attention to the difference of the French and English style of Lineships. Really love that. Outstanding work, really, I love it. Although I think the stern is going to be too small.

http://navalwarcolle...urgogne_16.html (Click on a picture to see it bigger)

Also the Quarter deck is going smaller. Maybe think about that.

Other than that, great work, I hope more to see/come! pirate_wink.gif

(Figurehead is VERY premium pirate_laugh2.gif )

Thank you. Hmm, I was afraid someone would 'go bunnies'... pir_laugh2.gif

Persephone definitely is a reference, but in my case rather for details, the hull techniques differ quite a lot. Great ship, I can't emphasize this enough!

I'm trying to go for a french ship design, thanks for noticing. But just a little, some elements that I find easy to apply. However, since I'm not (yet) working with any construction plans, there are elements I use from all kinds of designs, making the ship rather generic, but I'm trying to go that way. Next step is to maybe get rid of the upper gundeck's gun ports.

Thank you for the link you've provided. More material is always appreciated.

I see your points, Looking at this picture here:

74wip13.jpg

I think I might have gone a bit mad with curving astern pirate_blush.gif However, it's also the tumblehome... vertical curving should be pronounced a bit more... and the bow could be a bit pointier... I think a part of the impression of the stern being too small is due to the scale. If this is to be considered minifig illusion scale, then it's roughly 2/3 minifig scale, in length and width. But not in height, minifigs can be posed on the gundecks. So this adds up to some sort of distortion. One can always imagine the stern to be a bit wider... :pir-tongue: But she's definitely curved inwards too much...

Hmm, not really sure I'm brave enough to change all that, as she was supposed to be just a 'quick build'. The better ship is always the next one...

Again, thank you for your input, it's very much appreciated!

Best Regards

Edited by Kolonialbeamter

Thanks. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you mean by bow spear :pir-grin: The mast, maybe (bowsprit)?

I think we are talking about the same thing, the mast sticking out of the front, right pirate_classic.gif

That's some good progress, looks even more impressive! Nice touch with the bunny ears pirate_classic.gif

I think we are talking about the same thing, the mast sticking out of the front, right pirate_classic.gif

I think you are referring to the bowsprit :)

Beautiful ship! Would love to see it "in the brick" pir_laugh2.gif

That's some good progress, looks even more impressive! Nice touch with the bunny ears :pir-classic:

Beautiful ship! Would love to see it "in the brick" :pir_laugh2:

wow, this has gotten far since i last checked this topic..... very impressive.... It looks fairly complete, when are you planning on making a brick version?

Thank you for your supportive comments and for following this project. I think she's nearing completion, although there's barely any interior, yet. But to further distinguish her as a French vessel, I got rid of the upper gun ports. Furthermore I worked around the stern a bit more, and put most guns in place, which took quite some time... But the most annoying part was (as always) the rigging, it can take up to five minutes to get it right - per string :ugh: Oh, and I'm afraid bunny ears are gone.

Here's what she looks like now.

74wip14.jpg

Those of you who'd like to see a brick version, I'll have to disappoint. I don't plan on building her, and although she seems to turn out better than I expected, to me she's 'only' a test ship concerning some hull techniques. Next project will be better (I hope) :pir-wink:

Thanks for watching.

Thank you for your supportive comments and for following this project. I think she's nearing completion, although there's barely any interior, yet. But to further distinguish her as a French vessel, I got rid of the upper gun ports. Furthermore I worked around the stern a bit more, and put most guns in place, which took quite some time... But the most annoying part was (as always) the rigging, it can take up to five minutes to get it right - per string :ugh: Oh, and I'm afraid bunny ears are gone.

Here's what she looks like now.

74wip14.jpg

Those of you who'd like to see a brick version, I'll have to disappoint. I don't plan on building her, and although she seems to turn out better than I expected, to me she's 'only' a test ship concerning some hull techniques. Next project will be better (I hope) :pir-wink:

Thanks for watching.

Hom many bricks did u used? And can you provide some instructions for build? Maybe someone turn her into real brickbuild gigant :)

Hom many bricks did u used? And can you provide some instructions for build? Maybe someone turn her into real brickbuild gigant :)

Thank you for your interest.

Piece count at the moment (without the sails) is around 7500. I estimate in her final state she'll be at over nine thousand.

As for instructions, I'm not going to make any, LDD is just really pointless about this. However, once finished I am going to share this project with you in some way. Originally this ship was meant to work as a base for a hull tutorial based on the massive use of curved slopes. But it took me several attempts to come up with a design a liked, and I realised, there is not the one way to do that. In fact, almost every time I restarted a part over a certain design problem, I ended up solving it another way. So why have a fixed tutorial. Instead I'm a bit betting on the 'Pirates Guilds', maybe there could be something like a Shipyard Program, a central place to share and discuss building techniques... we will see.

If, however, someone really wants to build this ship the way I build it because reasons, PM me, we'll find an accord.

74wip12.jpg

Thanks for watching, C&C most welcome.

I must say this is a fantastic ship! This particular photo captures the look of a French 74 perfectly. This was the direction I started with on Persephone but fell in love with the lines of the British 64 instead. Hopefully some of your techniques can be translated to bricks some day, she'd be an excellent adversary :cannon:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley