Si-MOCs

Micro Sci-Fi Contest

sci_fi_month_banner.jpg

a

8332489386_3101b3d9b4_z.jpg

Micro Sci-Fi Contest

There are literally limitless
Sci-Fi
possibilities, and one of the hall marks of Sci-Fi are large grandiose SHIPs, bases and settings. While our imaginations are limitless, our LEGO collections are not. Sometimes we have to build small, or
Micro

Your challenge, is to build a Micro Sci-Fi scene of your own imagination.

You could build steampunk, or something out of HP Lovecraft, or massive Space relays and stations. Or even recreate your favorite Sci-Fi movie in Micro form!

The Rules

1. Entries must prominently feature an LEGO Sci-Fi setting.
  2. Builds must be 16x16 or smaller- no overhang.
  3. One entry per member.
  4. Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously).
  5. Entries must be posted by midnight anytime on Earth, January 31st. Voting will last 7 days after close.
  6. All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  7. Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  8. Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Sci-Fi forum. The title of the topic should begin with "MSFC:" and then give the name of the entry.
  9. Upload your images onto a dedicated image hosting websites such as Brickshelf, Flickr, etc. Do not use Eurobricks attachment to upload your images.
  10. The entry post (first post in your entry topic) may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  11. Entries are to consist of no more than 3 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size.
  12. In the event of a tie, the Staff will vote to decide the winner(s) and all Staff decisions are final.
  13. Staff are encouraged to particpate, but will not be included in voting.

Prize Pool

• First Place: 70701 Swarm Interceptor + 1st choice of MSFC Trophy + Sci-Fi Tag
  • Second Place: 70700 Space Swarmer + 2nd choice of MSFC Trophy + Sci-Fi Tag
  • Third Place: 2x CMF (Space Marine or Evil Robot) + Trophy + Sci-Fi Tag

Trophies

8377684467_e2c85b7746_c.jpg

Additional prizes may be awarded based on entries.

Questions, and clarifications, can be made in this forum.

Edited by Si-MOCs
Updated prizes

Is it alright to use a 32x32 baseplate, and not use more than sixteen studs?

EDIT: and what about spaceships? do they count if inside the limit?

Edited by krystalKING

Is it alright to use a 32x32 baseplate, and not use more than sixteen studs?

EDIT: and what about spaceships? do they count if inside the limit?

I suppose if you couldn't find another baseplate you COULD use a 32x32... but I'll be counting the studs ;)

The space ship has to be able to fit wtin 16x16 (use the diagonals!)

Part of the contest is to try to get the most out of a small space.

(Note that the trophy is 8x8, so yours can be 4 times bigger!)

This is awesome as I love micro. Not that interested in aliens but futuristic technology has always interested me!

This is awesome as I love micro. Not that interested in aliens but futuristic technology has always interested me!

Who said you had to do about aliens? Or even futuristic technology?

You could do a Jules Verne-eqsue drilling machine!

Or some steampunk! Or even H G Wells style Time Traveling romp!

That's why I love Sci-Fi, the possibilities are so varried. And if nothing has been done that you like, well make up something new! :grin:

It's going to be tough to beat the trophy, that's one sweet build!

:classic:

Who said you had to do about aliens? Or even futuristic technology?

You could do a Jules Verne-eqsue drilling machine!

Or some steampunk! Or even H G Wells style Time Traveling romp!

That's why I love Sci-Fi, the possibilities are so varried. And if nothing has been done that you like, well make up something new! :grin:

Yeah, that's the cool thing, reading up on it, it seems to cover almost anything... :thumbup: (What exactly is steampunk though? Old-fashioned looking rusty machienery?)

Think just post Medieval era, but with steam powered machines, and more metal.

I've been in the need for some reason to make a Sci-fi MOC. Perhaps this would be a good time.

Think just post Medieval era, but with steam powered machines, and more metal.

I've been in the need for some reason to make a Sci-fi MOC. Perhaps this would be a good time.

I'd say it's closer to Victorian era to be precise. Here's some pics! Steampunk prosthetic arm, Steampunk Airship, Alternate Asian Steampunk Airship, SteamPunk Portal Gun, Other Steampunk stuff.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

It's going to be tough to beat the trophy, that's one sweet build!

Haha... The trophy won't be competing to win itself... that would be like some sort of contest paradox... which ironically would be very Sci-Fiy...

Anytime is always a good time for Sci-Fi.... now is even better good time :wink:

Oooh. This is more my thing. :)

I figured this'll wet your whistle. :grin:

These trophies are really awesome! I haven't really tried building macro before, seems like a good time to!

Oh yes indeed .... I will so have to be part of this contest. Will be my first time competing on EuroBricks ! .... Im thinking "A matter for men" already !! :P

Great to hear everyone is entering :grin::wub:

I might have to dig around for more prizes if we get this much of a turnout!

These trophies are really awesome! I haven't really tried building macro before, seems like a good time to!

It's a micro contest. Macro the other side of the coin :wink:

I'm going to try this contest! I love micro space! Who built all the little trophies?

Fantastic to hear!

I built all the trophies :look:

Come to think of it, I have never really built micro, nor many other similar styles/themes, but this seems to be a very interesting contest, perhaps I shall try my hand at it!

It's a micro contest. Macro the other side of the coin :wink:

Fantastic to hear!

I built all the trophies :look:

Bah! iPad spell check! :tongue:

Great job on all the trophies by the way! :sweet:

Mhmm I think I'm joining :D. Does a normal village attacked by aliens count as sci-fi?

Edited by Eric Su

I'm working on one for this, but my eyes were bigger than my greeble parts available... Oh well, it'll be fun to enter something even if it is a bit plain.

With the emphasis on "had"! Thank God you're staff (not that I was expecting to win anyway).